Newbie and modules

Hunter

Hi peeps, going to collect my new pc today and I'm going to download dcs for the first time after watching tube videos over the last year. I've budgeted $140 for modules, so I'm getting FC3, Persian gulf and combined arms all in the sale, I've around $40 left so what should I buy? Also a bit of advice please, is aircraft carriers included in Persian gulf? Any other advice would be appreciated cheers guys.. Jim

Tell us more about the type of flying you want to do for better suggestions.

A-A or A-G or multirole?

Modern/older/WW2?

Helicopters?

Simple or complex?

FC3 gives a bunch of planes but they are simplified, personally I think high-fidelity modules are much more interesting.

Combined arms is also very limited.

If you've watched plenty of videos and know what you're getting then ok, but that's not what I'd recommend.

Aircraft carriers are included in the base game, only the "coming soon" high fidelity carrier is a paid extra.

Get one of the big ticket modules if you want to have a real taste of what DCS can offer. So that would be the Hornet, Viper, Hog or Tomcat. It will keep you more then occupied for the coming time if you are a beginner. I'd also recommend against buying CA as a beginner, it does not add that much value.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

+1 againts CA.

I started with FC3, learning the basics, and after 4 months or so the Harrier came out and was my first full fidelity. I'm glad of doing that because I might have been overwhelmed.

Unless you are 100% about CA, I would recommend buying the FA18 instead or any other as suggested before :)

Edit: I do own CA and is a good addition to have, but not a priority for me definitely

Enviado desde mi POCOPHONE F1 mediante Tapatalk

I would definitely get FC3. I agree with the others: I wouldn't make CA a priority, better to get another high fidelity aircraft module.

If you don't mind the missing/broken features, the F/A-18C is module I would recommend if you can only afford to get one. It is incredibly easy to operate despite all the MFDs with their endless menus. It has decent power and excellent agility for dogfighting. It is also a very capable ground attack aircraft (or will be as features are added/fixed). It can operate from aircraft carriers.

But the thing is, these aircraft are modeled to a very high level of detail. So, it can take a lot of time and effort to really learn any one aircraft. Pick an aircraft you really like and are willing to spend that time and effort learning. If you have no preference, the Hornet is probably the best choice. But if you love the F-16 or MiG-21 or the AJS-37, etc., pick one you love over what someone else says is the best. But read up on the bugs/problems before buying a module to make sure you won't be disappointed.

If you have some extra cash at some point and have even the slightest interest in flying helos, the UH-1H is pure joy to fly and even better in VR. The Mi-8 is a lot more complex, but is also really fun to fly/operate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Hi peeps, going to collect my new pc today and I'm going to download dcs for the first time after watching tube videos over the last year. I've budgeted $140 for modules, so I'm getting FC3, Persian gulf and combined arms all in the sale, I've around $40 left so what should I buy? Also a bit of advice please, is aircraft carriers included in Persian gulf? Any other advice would be appreciated cheers guys.. Jim

Hi Hunter, welcome to the forum.

Just to add to some already good advice.

Carriers are included in DCSWorld, if you want to work off a carrier a F/A-18C module or the SU-33 which is part of FC3 is ideal.

It seems like you have done your research and have already picked some great modules and terrains. If you have enough try maybe the F-5E which is a good starting point for full fidelity modules.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated, I've downloaded the dcs last night and having some issues with the x56 hotas the throttle can't be mapped in settings for some reason and it seems to be conflicting with the stick, the top silver hat on my throttle stick seems to be the throttle but when I move the throttle sticks the stick on screen goes crazy and mucks the frog up, and another is I can't get full screen on my 29 inch lg ultra wide. I'm thinking of getting the Tom cat or the hornet instead of the CA which I can just get later. Again any advice and criticism is welcome. Thanks guys

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated, I've downloaded the dcs last night and having some issues with the x56 hotas the throttle can't be mapped in settings for some reason and it seems to be conflicting with the stick, the top silver hat on my throttle stick seems to be the throttle but when I move the throttle sticks the stick on screen goes crazy and mucks the frog up, and another is I can't get full screen on my 29 inch lg ultra wide. I'm thinking of getting the Tom cat or the hornet instead of the CA which I can just get later. Again any advice and criticism is welcome. Thanks guys

Have you checked your x56 in the Windows Controller utility ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Go in the Controls and map everything yourself. DCS sometimes doesn't work well with default keybinds. Most importantly, make sure you don't have any conflicting controls in the Axes category. It's not unusual that the rudder axis will be bound to the throttle, because it's named Z-axis, for example. Just go through the controls carefully and then you'll be good to go. Shouldn't take that much.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Good advice here as usual. I recommend the Hornet, harrier is a blast too as is the F14.

Check all of your bindings and ensure nothing is double bound. Also stock bindings tend to auto map to views on the hats and all doubled and tripled up which is a PITA. I do wish that would stop.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I was trying to map the thrust I the binary or button are instead of the axis got it sorted now just have to check the game settings again for the 2650x1080 although I’m pretty sure I didn’t see it in adjust settings, maybe someone can put me in the right direction cheers.. jim

I was trying to map the thrust I the binary or button are instead of the axis got it sorted now just have to check the game settings again for the 2650x1080 although I’m pretty sure I didn’t see it in adjust settings, maybe someone can put me in the right direction cheers.. jim

If it's really not available in the selectable resolutions you can probably change it manually in the respective config file located in Saved Games\DCS World\config

It's just a guess though . I have never tried that myself.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

If it's really not available in the selectable resolutions you can probably change it manually in the respective config file located in Saved Games\DCS World\config

It's just a guess though . I have never tried that myself.

Tried in game settings last night typed in 2650x 1080 and it just puts the mouse out of sync so put it back to where it was, surely there’s a way to play on full screen, I wouldn’t have thought that dcs wasn’t able to play on 29”wide monitor.

DCS should see your monitor Res I would have thought..

Make sure windows is set to the native standard display resolution.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

As others have said.

Good: FC3, gets you a bunch of different planes which are fairly easy to learn

Less good: CA, honestly I bought it so I could move things around on MP server maps, never played it otherwise.

Ful-fi modules:

Good: F18 is multirole and in "ok" shape and gets updated regularly also if you want carrier ops.

Good: F14, More A/A harder to learn for new guys IMO

Ok: F5E, honestly its not bad to start, but its rather limited in what it can do.

Less good: Harrier/M2K, both are in a state of flux, don't get regular fixes or updates.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you made some pretty solid choices for entering into the DCS arena.

There are loads of great tutorials out there on YouTube (Red Kite, Magz, Grim Reapers, Spudknocker and more), to go along with some of the in-game tutorials for aircraft.

There are also many great single player missions and some campaigns available from the great community within DCS, via the forums or Eagle Dynamics home page.

There are many, many settings within DCS that can impact your experience of flying (pro or con) - so don't hesitate to ask the community if you come across and issues or questions.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Tried in game settings last night typed in 2650x 1080 and it just puts the mouse out of sync so put it back to where it was, surely there’s a way to play on full screen, I wouldn’t have thought that dcs wasn’t able to play on 29”wide monitor.

That resolution works just fine I play DCS with it currently. Not sure why you cant find it in the list.

That resolution works just fine I play DCS with it currently. Not sure why you cant find it in the list.

Maybe has to "create" that resolution within Windows (right click on home screen)? I made a custom resolution, following Jabbers tutorial for recording with OBS and then it appeared within DCS World's resolution options.... Not sure if that is it - but might be?

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Maybe has to "create" that resolution within Windows (right click on home screen)? I made a custom resolution, following Jabbers tutorial for recording with OBS and then it appeared within DCS World's resolution options.... Not sure if that is it - but might be?

Cheers,

Don

Cheers don, will give that a try tonight, right click on Windows home screen, type in custom resolution then go to in game settings and see if it comes up then and if it doesn’t just type in the resolution and see how it goes from there. Cheers. Jim.