Listen up nugget?

Crunchy

Did I hear right when starting the A10C training mission? Is the guy who's teaching me calling me a nugget and is this what new pilots get called? Just can't make out if he's calling me this lol.

Edited by Crunchy

yup. Nugget is a normal term for a pilot in training.

Battlestar Galactica calls their rookie pilots nuggets too. I'm sure there are other examples in pop culture, but that's the one that sprang to mind.

Practice makes perfect.

Pretty sure "nugget" is just a Navy term...never heard anyone in the Air Force use it.

We called them wogs or cherries in the USN. Maybe nugget in the movies, but wogs in real life. At least that is my experience. Of course that is in the fleet... I'm unsure what Naval Aviators called their students - maybe just Ensign.

I do recall bludgeoning a few Ensigns and LTs from one of the the deployed VFAs with a sand-filled fire hose while they were on their knees crawling through month old garbage on the flight deck in 110F degree heat, and calling them dirty wogs - but never nugget. :)

Edited by Panhead

I do recall bludgeoning a few Ensigns and LTs from one of the the deployed VFAs with a sand-filled fire hose while they were on their knees crawling through month old garbage on the flight deck in 110F degree heat, and calling them dirty wogs - but never nugget. :)

Oh man, that's harsh! LOL

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Maybe I'm showing my ignorance, but I thought nugget was a term for a Navy pilot on his first cruise? While polywogs and shellbacks refer to all personnel, according to whether they've crossed some magical line on the globe (the equator?) or not.

You could very well be correct with nugget. I had never heard it except in the movies. But then again, I was never in a ready room, or anywhere else the naval aviators congregated.

On the other side, though, regardless of duty station (fleet or shore duty), there were wogs and cherries, with the latter most often in use.

PS: AND IT'S NOT MAGICAL! IT'S REAL! King Neptune graced us with His Royal Presence to hold court and I plucked an olive out of the Royal baby's fat-hairy-lard covered belly button with my teeth and ate it. :)

PPSS: Yes, the equator.