[WORKS] Does the Tacan work or is broken in the F18?

Crunchy

I'm new to the F18, but I seem to have a problem with the Tacan and didn't know if it's a bug or something I'm doing wrong? I click on the left DDi, select Hsi and then highlight Tacan. I then press TCN on the the function keys, clear the current number 1 and input the Tacan of the airfield I want. After that I press enter and the DDi shows the Tacan symbol, miles to go etc. But then suddenly the Tacan symbol on the DDI is no longer there and neither is the miles to go etc. All that remains is a spinning arrow on the DDi?

I then try the same procedure to get it all back to how it was, but it doesn't work? What am I doing wrong? Anyone any idea's why it should work at first then suddenly not?

Edited by Crunchy

Well the distance was 120 miles but it picked it up at first. I then climbed to 320000ft, to see if I could pick it up again, but I'm guessing it's probably due to the distance then, correct? One other question though if it is due to the distance. Say I select my destination and the Tacan picks it up at first and then losses it. Would it then automatically pick it back up again if I flew in that direction and got closer, or would I have to clear the tacan and set it back up again when I was closer? Cheers!

I have seen this same behavior when I am fairly far away, flying low, etc.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well the distance was 120 miles but it picked it up at first. I then climbed to 320000ft, to see if I could pick it up again, but I'm guessing it's probably due to the distance then, correct? One other question though if it is due to the distance. Say I select my destination and the Tacan picks it up at first and then losses it. Would it then automatically pick it back up again if I flew in that direction and got closer, or would I have to clear the tacan and set it back up again when I was closer? Cheers!

Yes, it should pick it up again.

Another way you can do this is to pick a closer tacan, airport etc and capture then follow that bearing radial to your destination. Once closer change switch.

You can also cross reference range and bearing to tacan's for checking a position.

See this old thread if your interested.

NTTR-MAPS-A1.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Regarding tacan in general.

Be aware that if there are large mountains near the airport, the tacan signal can be obstructed. ( or if you fly low )

Example last night in the F16 on persian map i was trying to track kasab airforce bace. I was about 60nm away from the airport flying from west to east at that point in 30.000ft height

But i could not get a signal until i was like 8nm away and to the north west of the airport then it worked fine.

( ps i could see a tanker and other tacan more than 99nm away, but could not see kasab before i was within visual range. ).

But yes the tacan in the F18 also work.

I'm new to the F18, but I seem to have a problem with the Tacan and didn't know if it's a bug or something I'm doing wrong? I click on the left DDi, select Hsi and then highlight Tacan. I then press TCN on the the function keys, clear the current number 1 and input the Tacan of the airfield I want. After that I press enter and the DDi shows the Tacan symbol, miles to go etc. But then suddenly the Tacan symbol on the DDI is no longer there and neither is the miles to go etc. All that remains is a spinning arrow on the DDi?

I then try the same procedure to get it all back to how it was, but it doesn't work? What am I doing wrong? Anyone any idea's why it should work at first then suddenly not?

I miss one essential step when looking at your description:

Did you activate TCN on your UFC? (press the "ON" button on your UFC after you entered the TCN code)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

We had funky TACAN last week chasing a tanker for refuel in MP, initially worked fine and then all of a sudden stopped updating its position unless you turned off WPDSG on the tacan and then reselected it.

Tanker and ourselves were over the ocean at 25k ......so line of sight was not an issue.

Edited by Phantom_Mark

Multiplayer is a totally different pair of boots, I'd say. All kinds of beacons have a known habit of cutting out now and then; it's a hard to diagnose problem because seemingly they all work for a while on a 'fresh' mission, at least in my experience.