Trackir needs to produce something better after seeing VR tracking.

After seeing how good the tracking is in VR, I think it's about time trackir produced something better then it has right now. I have had constant tracking problems with Trackir in the past and the limited coverage is an instant problem when you consider the coverage VR tracking has.

I would imagine, given the proliferation of inertia-detecting sensors in such mundane commonplace items as cell phones, that the IR head-tracker technology is pretty much at its end.

Instead, we will see either inertia sensors on the player's head that require no camera, or more likely, facial-recognition software that works with conventional cameras without requiring attaching anything to one's self. Again, mundane everyday cell phones manage it, so I can't see any technological barrier to computers, and it's certainly preferable to having to wear a clip or IR light set.

I would imagine, given the proliferation of inertia-detecting sensors in such mundane commonplace items as cell phones, that the IR head-tracker technology is pretty much at its end.

Instead, we will see either inertia sensors on the player's head that require no camera, or more likely, facial-recognition software that works with conventional cameras without requiring attaching anything to one's self. Again, mundane everyday cell phones manage it, so I can't see any technological barrier to computers, and it's certainly preferable to having to wear a clip or IR light set.

Someone needs to jump on this technology straight away. Trackir is well past it's sell by date and they now need to look at alternatives. Even the software is dated and there's only so my you can do with it, it's very limited in what it can do when it comes to tracking and can be a bit of a pain to set up.

There are already UDP and usb transmitted daya that uses your phone for hade movement.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

@SkateZilla - Are they used for DCS and where do I find this device and how to set it up?

@Revvin - Do you know if EDTracker is going to use 6DOF at some point? I'd find it rather useless if it doesn't have 6DOF.

There are already UDP and usb transmitted daya that uses your phone for hade movement.

Yep I just tried something out today. Only 3DOF but that is OK for my purposes.

Opentrack, Vjoy and Headtracker for Android.

Note: Phone works best in upright position. It's OK for testing. A more practical long term solution for IMU tracking is to look for a ESP8266 module with IMU add-on board. Can be configured to take the place of the phone.

While I would love to see an updated Track IR mechanism from Natural Point, I have a feeling with most of their money being made elsewhere and the introduction of VR, we may not see anything new from them in regards to head tracking hardware.

It would be nice though, I think I myself will wait for the next generation of VR and continue to use my Track IR5 for a few more years. At least they do still continue to support and update their software for it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Actually I found that the clip from this guy did wonders for my trackir experience: http://www.delanengineering.com/

Much better at tracking than the flimsy crap called "pro clip" from NP, which breaks once you look at it the wrong way :lol: I use it with trackir 5 though, not the camera.

That said, I will be using the rift from now on, so...

My system:

Win 10, Amd Ryzen 3700@stock GTX1080 Ti, 34" Asus G-sync ultrawide monitor, Ipad Air, 32 gigs of 3600 ram, complete CH HOTAS setup, Oculus Rift CV1/Trackir5 and a Saitek Quadrant

Been simming since the Commodore 64. A few million polygons ago.

Simply because with VR you are blind. The only thing you see is in game video, all the rest outside the gameworld is done by feeling instead of looking at it and touching it right away like in real life.

Just look at some VR video's of flightsims and you see those pilots "search like a blind person" for the buttons on there HOTAS.

If they come with a solution for that, i go VR, otherwise it's just a toy...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Simply because with VR you are blind. The only thing you see is in game video, all the rest outside the gameworld is done by feeling instead of looking at it and touching it right away like in real life.

Just look at some VR video's of flightsims and you see those pilots "search like a blind person" for the buttons on there HOTAS.

Actually you get an incredible sense of where controls are located, even when using vr, probably due to getting a sense of being in a "room". Its a bit like using the touch method on keyboards. I can find my way on a keyboard quite easily while using my rift. If you are familar with your setup I think you can make it work. You also have technology like leap

point, which isnt mature enough yet.

I do understand your point however, and of course I understand that people who have spent time building cockpits or buying specialized controls find using vr impractical. I have personally spent time making customized ipad templates for controlling the ka-50 and su-25, but I will gladly sacrifice this for using the rift.

My system:

Win 10, Amd Ryzen 3700@stock GTX1080 Ti, 34" Asus G-sync ultrawide monitor, Ipad Air, 32 gigs of 3600 ram, complete CH HOTAS setup, Oculus Rift CV1/Trackir5 and a Saitek Quadrant

Been simming since the Commodore 64. A few million polygons ago.

But the sensation of flying completely outweighs the limitations. Pits and physical switches, however can play together. I'm building switch boxes even though I have VR and can *NEVER EVER* go back to monitors (Three 1920x1080 monitors plus 2 Lilliputs). Being able to reach out and touch physical switches while feeling the sensation of flight is the killer app.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1