INU update points?

WildBillKelsoe

Reading OAF, Hog pilots mention a constant point to update the INU (hence INU update points)...

will ED implement this system to aircrafts without GPS? I think it would be a step to augment realism and also train people to start looking outside the cockpit.

Share your thoughts.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Do you mean in flaming cliffs a-10a? If so then no, as this level of detail is not going to be modeled unless it gets the full DCS makeover. I don't think that is the intent of these FC modules. Functions such as this really need a clickable cockpit so you can enter lat/longs and preplanned update points into the INS.

It is a feature (INU drift) that has been requested a few times for BS and A-10C though and I would have to agree, it would be quite fun for those modules (provided some way to implement GPS jamming was available also of course).

Edited by Kaiza
[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

Do you mean in flaming cliffs a-10a? If so then no, as this level of detail is not going to be modeled unless it gets the full DCS makeover. I don't think that is the intent of these FC modules. Functions such as this really need a clickable cockpit so you can enter lat/longs and preplanned update points into the INS.

It is a feature (INU drift) that has been requested a few times for BS and A-10C though and I would have to agree, it would be quite fun for those modules (provided some way to implement GPS jamming was available also of course).

There is an INU update option in A-10C. Would this be beneficial to A-10C then? (does it work in A-10C even)?

Fot the shark, there are PVI update points iirc.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Fix points. If you are close to them, EKRAN displays the message 'perform nav pos fix'. Then you select the fix point and you find the fix point either with shkval or by overflying the point (depends on inu fix taking method switch below PVI-800). Press the uncage shkval/designate button once to perform the update and the fix point selection light on the PVI-800 light will automaticly turn off.

Sorry for off-topic :P

• Like 1

'Frett'

The best thing about the Ka-50 is how easy the INU is to use. I've heard it said that it uses GLONASS fixes to keep the INU aligned in-flight, and the whole Shkval-at-fix-point bit is just so easy.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

The best thing about the Ka-50 is how easy the INU is to use. I've heard it said that it uses GLONASS fixes to keep the INU aligned in-flight, and the whole Shkval-at-fix-point bit is just so easy.

Yep, you can actually see the time until next GLONASS navigation fix in the ABRIS Menu\Control\K-041 page... (the line TIME OUT)

'Frett'

There is an INU update option in A-10C. Would this be beneficial to A-10C then? (does it work in A-10C even)?

From the manual page 194:

SYSTEM / INS / UPDATE

UPDATE Page Branch Line Select Key, R5. Allows the selection and display of the UPDATE Page. This page allows you to select a waypoint and provide an overhead INS update when flying over it. The basic procedure is to select a waypoint in the fly-to database, press the PROCEED LSK, overfly the waypoint's known location (such as a prominent landmark) and press the MK (markpoint) button on the CDU. You can then choose to accept or reject the INS update data.

It doesn't really work because there is no INU drift/schuler cycle modelled in the sim, and therefore your inertial position will never need updating. I am not sure whether deselecting your GPS and then updating to an incorrect position will affect your nav solution, I have never tried (ie whether updating to a point 5NM west of the waypoint will shift everything west 5NM).

Edited by Kaiza
[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]