New to the Fishbed: So many questions: - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #21
Dr_Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealius View Post
That GIF is basically how I come down without the chute. The other day I nearly had a perfect landing; my touchdown speed was 330km/h, descent rate around 2-3m/s. My AoA was still around 10-12 and I floated quite a bit over the runway before touchdown.

Unfortunately my tires had been blown on takeoff without me realizing, so I landed on my rims.

In the pattern I'm usually around 400-500m AGL. Can't say how high I am when commencing final, but I aim for a 3° glideslope.
Touchdown speed 330 km/h and descent rate 2-3 m/s is an acceptable landing in the sim. As per my discussion with real pilots from our airforce, correct parameters would be touchdown speed 260-280 km/h, descent rate lower than 1 m/s, touchdown only on main gears without slamming the front wheel on the runway, aerobrake afterwards. Landings at 3 m/s per second (600 FPM) would more often than not lead to highly increased air-frame fatigue/bending. I've recorded a track which goes mostly by real world numbers/advice when landing the BIS, touchdown at slightly higher speed of 290 km/h to keep AoA below 15 on main wheels and aerobraking.
Attached Files
File Type: trk mig-21land_aerobrake.trk (66.4 KB, 10 views)
Dr_Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #22
Nealius

With real world parameters, how do they see the runway over the nose?

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | GTX1050Ti | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #23
Dr_Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealius View Post
With real world parameters, how do they see the runway over the nose?
Well, I hope you can see the runway during the whole approach in my track using the default cockpit view During flare you are supposed to shift your viewpoint to the left and in the distance of 30-50 meters, level out the aircraft at 1 meter above the ground, slightly decrease power (but not below the SPS position) and let the aircraft gently touch the runway on its main wheels. It has a tendency to lower the nose, this should be countered by pulling the stick back and then aerobrake, after that lower the nose wheel and release brake chute if needed.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #24
RIVER

Perfect landing means your nosewheel doesn't drop imediately on touchdown. This is quite tricky and I just mastered it a few times. If you float over the runway and your wingtips wobble left and right because you try to touchdown very gentle thats a good indicator that you try it the right way.

Everybody says for example the F 5 is a breeze to land. Very easy to land yes, not dropping the nose on touchdown is a whole different story.
RIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #25
Nealius

Yeah, my MiG-21 landings and F-5 landings are roughly on the same level at this point.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #26
Dr_Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVER View Post
Perfect landing means your nosewheel doesn't drop imediately on touchdown. This is quite tricky and I just mastered it a few times. If you float over the runway and your wingtips wobble left and right because you try to touchdown very gentle thats a good indicator that you try it the right way.

Everybody says for example the F 5 is a breeze to land. Very easy to land yes, not dropping the nose on touchdown is a whole different story.
Yep, this is very true - sadly many tutorials on youtube do not show a proper landing for aircraft like Mig-21/L-39/Su-25. The same goes for take-offs. In a perfect take-off you rotate, roll on the main wheels and gently lift off the aircraft. L-39C is great for practicing this, although it is much harder in the Mig-21. The technique for landing L-39C is the same as for Mig-21 (you need to maintain high engine revs, level out 1 meter above runway, shift your sight to left and touchdown on main gears without letting the nosewheel drop).

Last edited by Dr_Arrow; 02-12-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #27
DmitriKozlowsky

That looked PAINFULL. Pop the chute prior to T/D. Thats asking for collapsed gear. You can see how the drag disrupted Mig's approach and it touched on port gear. Maintenance chief, maintenance officer, and squadron CO will probably sit down with the crew.
DmitriKozlowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #28
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Arrow View Post
Touchdown speed 330 km/h and descent rate 2-3 m/s is an acceptable landing in the sim. As per my discussion with real pilots from our airforce, correct parameters would be touchdown speed 260-280 km/h, descent rate lower than 1 m/s, touchdown only on main gears without slamming the front wheel on the runway, aerobrake afterwards. Landings at 3 m/s per second (600 FPM) would more often than not lead to highly increased air-frame fatigue/bending. I've recorded a track which goes mostly by real world numbers/advice when landing the BIS, touchdown at slightly higher speed of 290 km/h to keep AoA below 15 on main wheels and aerobraking.
VERY nicely done.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:02 AM   #29
MiG21bisFishbedL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmitriKozlowsky View Post
That looked PAINFULL. Pop the chute prior to T/D. Thats asking for collapsed gear. You can see how the drag disrupted Mig's approach and it touched on port gear. Maintenance chief, maintenance officer, and squadron CO will probably sit down with the crew.
That's an actual method utilized by Eastern Bloc nations for short landings. The 21 could handle it, but inspections were required after each landing.

Move MiG. For great justice. You know what you doing. Take off every MiG.
CH Combatstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals
MiG21bisFishbedL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #30
Nealius

My landings are getting better, but the tires' interaction with the ground is like hitting mud even if I try a greaser. Even with my stick almost full aft, the nose will still (gently) come down immediately when the mains touch down, but if I maintain aft stick the nose will climb back up and I can aerobrake until about 200kph.