Big Helicopters

Prowler111

Big Helicopters  

548 members have voted

1. 1. Big Helicopters

• Yes
    • No

Transport is awesome, navigation etc. But if you just put a couple of triggers to random few enemy infantry groups, transport missions becomes, uppest level.

Delivering troops in a hot LZ, not to mention delivering a sling load while the bullets cracks your plexiglass....

Night commando insertioNS in Normandia at night.... where navigation is very difficult....lots of missions you can make. BUT, if you are in a Squadron, with other Attack helicopters, CAS aircrafts or CAP.... the rol of helicopters is very very enjoable. But of course, some people might dont like.

Take into account, that full models of russian aircrafts IS FORBIDDEN. So forget about SUs, Migs, etc... for the moment. Only russian aircrafts that are not in service anymore. Mig 23, and may be Mig29A. To me its a pitty, I like big choppers and small fast figthers.. but to tell the truth, I think i have spent more time with Helos. So.... CH53, you are very welcome!

Edited by ESAc_matador
  • Like 1

no no.. there are possibilities, at least the ch47 gunship would be phantastic to have. so fed up with all those small grashoppers like gazelle and now this useless upcoming Bo 105

give us the CH 47 gunship

Four...

There were only Four ACH-47s ever built...variants of the 53 can be traced all the way back to Vietnam in Search and Rescue and up until 2008 doing special ops work.

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Transport is awesome, navigation etc. But if you just put a couple of triggers to random few enemy infantry groups, transport missions becomes, uppest level.

Delivering troops in a hot LZ, not to mention delivering a sling load while the bullets cracks your plexiglass....

Night commando insertioNS in Normandia at night.... where navigation is very difficult....lots of missions you can make. BUT, if you are in a Squadron, with other Attack helicopters, CAS aircrafts or CAP.... the rol of helicopters is very very enjoable. But of course, some people might dont like.

+1

Tell me more, tell me more!!!

How is the crew so important?

So first to qualify myself, I was a Pave Low Instructor Flight Engineer for about a decade. I flew combat sorties in OEF, OIF, Haiti, and the Horn of Africa. I ended up as one of two MH-53M subject matter experts at the USAF Weapons School. So with that:

The Pave Low variant of the 53 had a lot of armor in the chin bubble so when the nose came up on the approach, the pilots view was limited. He relied on the rest of the crew to talk him to the spot. There was a cadence that started with the FE in the cockpit or the “seat” as we called him. He called airspeed altitude and distance to the HLZ then the right door (FE) made a clearing call followed by the gunners in the left and tail. That repeated until the approach got close enough that the right door took over and called the aircraft down to the ground. The pilot did what the right door told him to do. There was a lot of trust. Same idea in a hover. The crew member in charge of the hover (usually whichever position was doing the event like fast rope or hoist etc) called the positioning of the helo. For example, come right 5,4,3,2,1 stop and hold. Etc etc.

We also had something called a hover coupler that allowed the right door to take control and fly the aircraft while in a hover. There are more examples like weapons employment and terrain following missions if you are interested.

Also, the NVG flying time is accurate. In Pave Low (and the 160th I’m sure) they would swap out every hour at least to give the other a break. There were times when that wouldn’t happen like when one pilot was doing mission management duties and the other stayed on the controls.

Finally, the FE in the seat was the only one not on NVGs on a night sortie. That guy stayed “inside” and maintained SA on all the systems, fuel, threats over the MATT, waypoints, etc. He also was primary for all emergency procedures except autorotation. He also operated everything. We called it a voice activated cockpit because the pilots never had to take their hands off he controls. We did everything except move the controls around.

Pebbles

• Like 2

Pavespawn, great post, thanks a lot for sharing your insights! :thumbup:

We also had something called a hover coupler that allowed the right door to take control and fly the aircraft while in a hover.

Witchcraft! :devil:

Can you give us some idea how that hover coupler works, i.e. how it taps into the flight controls? Never heard of such a system (*), but it sounds extremely useful in many scenarios!

(*) I think I walked through CH-53G cabins once or twice while they were on the ground, definitely far from expert here. ;)

Pavespawn, great post, thanks a lot for sharing your insights! :thumbup:

Witchcraft! :devil:

Can you give us some idea how that hover coupler works, i.e. how it taps into the flight controls? Never heard of such a system (*), but it sounds extremely useful in many scenarios!

(*) I think I walked through CH-53G cabins once or twice while they were on the ground, definitely far from expert here. ;)

A hover coupler tied into the flight control system and limited control input to no more than 30% roll authority. There were three sticks, pilot, co-pilot, and the right door. It worked in conjunction with the radar altimeter altitude hold feature. The system allowed for a controlled approach in 0/0 weather when used with the TF/TA radar. A standard couple approach would be meeting speed gates at specified distances from your waypoint. 100 knots at 1 mile, 90 at .9, 80 at .8 etc. The altitude would have been briefed and that is put into the rad alt hold. At .3 out and 30 knots the call would be “leveling the aircraft, going for the little stick.” Rad alt hold would take over and the pilot would fly only with the hover coupler stick. If at any time the co-pilot or right door gained more SA on the LZ, they could call for control then use their coupler stick to guide the aircraft to a precise location. If I can figure out how to post pictures I’ll show where these controls were in the aircraft.

I always thought this helicopter was just amazing. I sincerely hope we do get this helicopter, I'll quit work just to nerd out on it lol.

Pavespawn, pretty neato job, thanks for serving!! I bet you have had some very interesting experiences being on these for a career.

~Rob

I always thought this helicopter was just amazing. I sincerely hope we do get this helicopter, I'll quit work just to nerd out on it lol.

Pavespawn, pretty neato job, thanks for serving!! I bet you have had some very interesting experiences being on these for a career.

~Rob

It was the best job you could ask for as an enlisted member. Never a dull moment! It was my absolute pleasure.

So the helicopter has been confirmed, does anyone know when it is going to be worked on, as far as the order of the RAZBAM modules? It would seem that the MiG-19 is next, but after that?

Pavespawn, I know it's off topic, but could you be so kind as to tell us just one awesome story??

~Rob

So the helicopter has been confirmed, does anyone know when it is going to be worked on, as far as the order of the RAZBAM modules? It would seem that the MiG-19 is next, but after that?

Pavespawn, I know it's off topic, but could you be so kind as to tell us just one awesome story??

~Rob

I’ll tell you one about how on the edge we flew while in Afghanistan since it is relevant to aircraft performance.

We were infilling a team of New Zealand SOF to a known Al Qaeda training camp. The LZ what hard to find since it was in very mountainous terrain and it was so dark even NVGs didn’t help much. We crossed a ridge and the gunner in the left sees it and calls for us to turn left 90*. Now remember we are heavy and on the edge of our power available because of high altitude. The pilot just barely touched the left pedal and that was all it took. We went into power settling immediately and lost tail rotor authority at the same time. So we are falling into a canyon and spinning to the right at the same time. I’m watching the gauges do things that the simulator won’t do and we are all screaming like Girl Scouts with skinned knees. On our second revolution of darkness in the FLIR then rock face, darkness, rock face, our pilot times it just right and pushes the cyclic forward in time to get us going down the valley. We recovered at less than fifty feet and we started at almost 300 over the canyon.

The team was yelling about why we didn’t land and the tail gunner told them to sit back down cause we almost just died. When we finally got home, maintenance said we had over torqued both sides, oversped the motors and twisted the main drive shaft couplings.

Probably doesn’t sound as cool as it should but that one sticks out in my mind. While we were falling I went through the emergency procedures in my head and had realized that I couldn’t punch the tanks because with our sink rate they would have gone into the rotor but more than anything I kept thinking, “Man, I don’t want to get out of the helicopter because it’s cold outside. Either way we sucked the seat cushions out of our butts and got the team infilled.

• Like 1

Nice one... (I dont know if "nice" is the proper word).

Do you recommend any good book about the CH53?

I already read this... it is good and interesting, but very short!!!

https://www.amazon.com.br/Vietnam-Rescues-English-Dave-Richardson-ebook/dp/B006DOABQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512735722&sr=8-1&keywords=vietnam+air+rescues

I would recommend On a Steel Horse I Ride. It is a complete history of Pave Low. We adopted the Bon Jovi song as our anthem so that’s where we get the book title.

https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Horse-Ride-History-Helicopters/dp/1585662208/ref=pd_cp_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1585662208&pd_rd_r=XEJ632R3M75T279YJ69A&pd_rd_w=rSJqf&pd_rd_wg=GWtdP&psc=1&refRID=XEJ632R3M75T279YJ69A

Here is link to a you tube video that one of our guys did at the end of it all.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

what has been choosen at the end?

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black