Weather development

nicka117

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup we've had some teaser photos here and there but no Wags video showing this off from what I remember. Hopefully there's some good progress being made here and things are inching closer to being shared with the rest of us.

The current DCS engine is no where near implementing something complex like new weather or a dynamic campaign engine. Until Vulkan API is fully integrated and running efficiently on mid-range to high-end PC's, I'll take the weather as it is for now over 16 FPS in a pretty, new cloud. :thumbup:

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

The real question is when will we have clouds that are synced client side, something that actually matters in playing the game.

Amazes me people that just constantly ask when are we getting pretty new clouds without asking on the fundamentals. Then lol the next will be my frames are really bad on my 1080 etc etc...

Clearly pretty visuals are fine for pve and SP, but playing the game in any competitive mode that doesn't involve swatting easy AI flies then the sync client side is much more worthy of dev time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

I am not at all interested in seeing an improvement in what the clouds look like now. In fact I am quite happy with the "look" of the various weather features as they are. I am much more interested in being able to have different weather on different areas of the map as well as at various elevations instead of the completely uniform patterns we have now. And of course this needs to be, as Hawkeye_UK mentions, synchronized with all the clients in the game.

I'm pretty sure that ED is working on something like this, I'm just curious about their progress, if any.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can't wait either :). Just throwing that out there :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Talking about weather, i create clouds but after flying +/-50 miles they always disappear. Is there a way to make those clouds stay? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Not the overcast but the 1-7 cloud cover.

Edited by canned_fire

Also the air isn't perfectly homogeneous, yet unless you hit the turbulence of a tanker you will just lay calmly in the air .. always . even though you have tons of crosswind .. gusting .. it's very lifeless at the moment :-(

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

I can't wait either :). Just throwing that out there :).

Talking about weather, i create clouds but after flying +/-50 miles they always disappear. Is there a way to make those clouds stay? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Same issue. Always have had this issue. Only solution is to use dynamic weather. Get different levels of clouds depending on where the low

Pressure systems are and how strong. Not to mention MUCH better performance with Dynamic weather...less stuttering

I am not at all interested in seeing an improvement in what the clouds look like now. In fact I am quite happy with the "look" of the various weather features as they are. I am much more interested in being able to have different weather on different areas of the map as well as at various elevations instead of the completely uniform patterns we have now. And of course this needs to be, as Hawkeye_UK mentions, synchronized with all the clients in the game.

Yes, this would be great. I like the idea of taking off at one field in sunny skies and landing at another field in the dark with high winds and rain (or vice versa).

No seriously, I'd be making missions that have exactly this!

Yes, this would be great. I like the idea of taking off at one field in sunny skies and landing at another field in the dark with high winds and rain (or vice versa).

No seriously, I'd be making missions that have exactly this!

You can do it already on NTTR map, albeit in a predictable way. Because of big elevation differences between airports in southern part of the map vs the ones on the North, plus cloud layer base being set in ME according to sea level, just place them low enough, so that bottom half of the map is overcast, while upper half is above the clouds. Been there, done that.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The current dynamic weather creator is more impressive than a lot of people realize. If you create multiple weather systems (I think you can create up to six?), you can takeoff in one kind of weather and land in another. :thumbup:

The current dynamic weather creator is more impressive than a lot of people realize. If you create multiple weather systems (I think you can create up to six?), you can takeoff in one kind of weather and land in another. :thumbup:

What settings do you use to make a 30min flight with takeoff at sunshine and thunderstorm at landing?

I agree that this feature is quite impressive but I have found that I need a meteorologist to figure out how to set it up, ESPECIALLY if I am trying to achieve specific weather conditions in specific locations on the map. Additionally, until we have realtime control of our carrier, it is not a good thing to set up dynamic weather if you don't know what the winds are going to be 20, 40 or 60 miles down the road!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Since the current dynamic weather system deals with pressure systems, and these systems can only EQUALIZE. The weather can only improve from its starting condition as the different pressures normalize.

There needs to be a way for a NEW pressure system to develop mid session to have a storm show up later in the mission. No known way of doing this yet that I have heard of.

PS: Also the fact is that the CLIENT is the the basis for the dynamic weather, not the server. The server sets the INITIAL conditions, but the clients weather is always at the start of those conditions when they log in, no matter how long the server has be running.

Edited by Shahdoh

... ESPECIALLY if I am trying to achieve specific weather conditions in specific locations on the map. Additionally, until we have realtime control of our carrier, it is not a good thing to set up dynamic weather if you don't know what the winds are going to be 20, 40 or 60 miles down the road!

This is very true.

Also the air isn't perfectly homogeneous, yet unless you hit the turbulence of a tanker you will just lay calmly in the air .. always . even though you have tons of crosswind .. gusting .. it's very lifeless at the moment :-(

Disagree. The Harriers HSI screen displays wind direction and speed, and it fluctuates in direction and strength, albeit with the ''prevailing wind and direction'' as the average. You also have to put turbulence in the mission. If your mission is ''calm and steady'', it's because you made it that way. I've had violent updrafts, gusts, and lurching side to side, by setting the weather appropriately.

You can even see this crudely with the Su-25T sitting on the ground (or most other planes). The AoA going off randomly? That's wind blowing the vane around, and it's not constant or steady.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

This is literally the reason why I never have clouds in my missions in the first place as they decay anyway. Those literally are just more or less useful for the usual airquake server that covers an area of 50x50nm max anyway and even there they are desynct. Why bother with something that's broken for like ages?

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Right now, my racing simulators have prettier clouds than DCS. In DCS, the option is a lot of spinning cotton balls...or only a few spinning cotton balls.

Maybe that is because you only get to see them from the ground instead of actually flying through them? :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]