New option? "Loud Cockpit Afterburner Sound"

randomTOTEN

Appeared update before last . A muffled "boom" as afterburner kicks in . I like it when climbing out after a pass particularly , when i am concentrating on SA and don't have time for IFEI monitoring .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I'm assuming unchecked is more realistic...

As far as sound goes, yes, I assume so. I dont think RL pilots can actually hear their afterburner. However, RL pilots do have a functional "butt sensor", and Im equally confident they can feel the acceleration if they engage the AB. We sim pilots cant. Hence, I dont think its "more realistic" to disable it. Its just an audible cue to replace a physical one that cant be simulated, and I welcome the option.

As far as sound goes, yes, I assume so. I dont think RL pilots can actually hear their afterburner. However, RL pilots do have a functional "butt sensor", and Im equally confident they can feel the acceleration if they engage the AB. We sim pilots cant. Hence, I dont think its "more realistic" to disable it. Its just an audible cue to replace a physical one that cant be simulated, and I welcome the option.
My thoughts exactly. For me, it doesn't sound much louder than with the option to Off, but it does generate significantly more bass and that works really well with my sub-woofer. A welcome addition, IMO.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I personally use it, if I can't hear AB in real life, I can probably feel it, so for me having a sound option is a reasonable enough stand-in.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

It's a good option to have. We're not sitting in a real cockpit, so we don't really have a "feel" for the plane. Even though maybe not 100% realistic, it's a good way for us to know what the plane is doing without consulting instruments.

Questions are a burdon, and answers a prison for one's self.

Actually I can feel the kick of afterburner because I have vibration feedback. Goes through butt and also through HOTAS.

I wouldn't fly without it because to do so would suck all realism out of it.

For me, I've turned it off.

I hear it clearly, but - it kicks-in when I'm still in full Mil. ie., 100 percent throttle.

I've had to check in F2 to see if I am in AB but I'm not.

My throttle is calibrated accurately (wh throttle) so then at the AB detent it is at 100 percent. I need to push it through the detent for AB. However, the AB sound kicks in just before I get to the detent.

I think that it needs work in this regard.

The new afterburner effect pairs great with the buttkicker or seat shaker.

AB on is now felt more than heard!

Agreed

It's bloody fantastic!

Earlier versions I only had it in the F-15c, now I got my cockpit shaking in the F/A-18 when AB kicks off. :D

Really cool in VR.

Edited by JasonJ

Sim Rig || Pics 2010 |

PC 2019 || 8600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX2080ti OC | 32GB RAM @3000 | 500GB SSD | Win10 64bit |

PC 2010 || 2600K @ 3.4GHz | Zotac GTX680 | 8GB RAM | Win7 64bit Ultimate SP1 |

Cockpit || Joystick: T.16000M | Pedals: Logitech G25 | Throttle & Collective: Logitech Attack3 Modded | Button Box: G25 Shifter |

Cockpit || HP Reverb VR | Custom Frame & Seat | 3x Bass Shaker | 2:1 Game Sound | 2x Rear Head Rest Speakers Comms/Music |

I personally have chosen not to use it. In many aircraft I can still hear a very slight AB rumble (very nice btw), and I mostly use the engine instruments to determine AB use. Pretty much the same as I've been doing for years now. Sometimes (mostly F-16C) I'll quickly display the controls indicator to accurately select MIL then close it.

Is the louder afterburner sound "generic" across all modules do you think? Or is it just a volume increase for the AB sounds custom to each aircraft? Exterior AB sound or interior AB?

Maybe Lex or G_B can share their expertise here - besides from your IFEI data and the feeling we're lacking of in a simulation, do you actually hear the burners in the real thing?

Edited by AnimalMother711

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

For me, I've turned it off.

I hear it clearly, but - it kicks-in when I'm still in full Mil. ie., 100 percent throttle.

I've had to check in F2 to see if I am in AB but I'm not.

My throttle is calibrated accurately (wh throttle) so then at the AB detent it is at 100 percent. I need to push it through the detent for AB. However, the AB sound kicks in just before I get to the detent.

I think that it needs work in this regard.

Yep, me too. I like the sound, but it kicks in on the Hornet when still in mil. AB is not active. Needs to be calibrated better I feel.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 3 weeks later...

I loved it, but now Im having issues and may have encountered a bug. With the JF-17 everytime I engage AB I hear a loud "radio squelch type" static that seems to be on a loop. It wasn`t happening before. Anyone experienced the same?

Can’t speak of the -18, but in the Tornado, you could hear the reheat of another ac, on lineup for a section take off for example, but once airborne you cannot. As for your own ac, you can feel the rumble markedly increase, but cannot hear it due to the many other loud noise generated in a cockpit - wind rush, the hum of many systems, the air system blowing and occasionally whistling (air vents, not your nav), plus the fact your helmet muffles some sound.

Edited by garyscott

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Yep, me too. I like the sound, but it kicks in on the Hornet when still in mil. AB is not active. Needs to be calibrated better I feel.

And me , it’s not quite right it will cut in at about 99% of mil power. Maybe a hair or two later, but just enough to be disconcerting...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Not completely true. You sometimes can hear and feel a little muffled "thump". But it's subtle. I tried the box checked and it was very unrealistically loud. I found it distracting. YMMV

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB