To Belsimtek and Eagle Dynamics about the UH-1D Huey

DeTesla

I agree with you guys! I love flying Helos (got all of them modules :) ) and i would really love to see them updated!!

+1

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

Chopper pilots are weird!

That's the problem.

We are Weird, who in there right mind flies low in amongst enemy fire and even slows down and lands right in the middle of hostilities!

For me the absorption of Belsimtek into ED was the worst thing that could have happened as they will now concentrate on American jet fighters or the pathetic WWII airframes America produced (except the stang). perhaps another variant of a german fighter we already got.. perhaps? I have heard this tune soo many times it makes me puke.

I own every thing in DCS! Every module except FC3 (I bought each airframe individually when released). I always bought on pre release... always.

I did this because I wanted DCS to expand and expand fast. I did this for every 3rd party developer no matter what they released.

I tried to get into the planes and apart from the harrier and Viggen, I just found them boring... I only love choppers!

There is absolutely no doubt that chopper up dates are well and truly at the back of the line.... and even when we reach the back of the line, I am sure ED will find some new idea that needs work before the chopper updates.

I find this behaviour shameful.

I hear nothing of the Hind and plenty of another US jet, the F16. In the old days I knew my place but nowadays I must ensure that DCS moves in the right direction before we end up with some useless all American simulator with no opposition what so ever!

So for the chopper community I will now make a commitment.

No longer will I buy anything from DCS or 3rd parties until a new chopper is released.

And funny enough, yes please! The chopper community would kill for a US attack Chopper!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

The Virtual Reality implementation made all this even better, and I can live with reduced resolution and lack of pixel density because, the amount of situational awareness i, and im sure you too, get from VR is absolutely unprecedented in our time, thinking back a decade or further where people used CRT screens and "pancake" screens.

I actually like the VR "softness" and such, as it is simulating the reality. In real world one doesn't spot easily a fighter in few kilometer distances, they can really sneak up to you. That is one of the MiG-21 and F-5 advantages that they are far smaller than any F-15 or F-14. And when they point their nose on you, they disappear even if you look straight at them, and if you can't reacquire them in few seconds, they will be lost and they are likely in your six already (why you need to know how to fly and what other can do, instead just trying to spot the targets).

On ground units you can't really spot a stationary vehicle from past few hundred meters if it is not casting shadows, reflecting light etc. If it is camouflaged to break its shape (as any crew would do) then you can't spot it.

All those are changing the ways how a virtual pilot needs to operate in the virtual battlefield, more realistic and more accurate. But increasing HMD resolution etc is just turning things back to more unrealistic direction.

Like a helicopter pilot in combat, you just were required to accept that at any given time you could be shot at from direction that you only can spot from the gun muzzles flashes or general heading by sound, if not now someone clearly appearing with good contrast.

And VR is now simulating that fairly well, difficult to spot infantry etc. But it could be made better even, add lots of ground clutter and shapes and colors that helicopter pilot would find extremely distracting and alarming, as well CAS pilots when they can't just spot a vehicle on the ground as a build model on billiard table.

That is one of the great things with the Starway ground re-texturing mod (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233952) that really turns things far more difficult (more difficult to spot units), easier (as you can remember better the ground shapes and positions) and more beautiful (the ground starts to look as a ground, instead islands of the forest and buildings).

Now if the pilots who fly low would really get all the rocks, bushes, swamps, meadows etc etc, I would like to then get higher resolution HMD.

But as Wags said in his testing of the Oculus Rift S (https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3878124&postcount=1)

However, compared to the Rift, I'm seeing a significantly higher resolution in DCS World where instrumentation is much easier to read, as well as spotting units outside the cockpit. Looking around the Hornet cockpit, I can read EVERYTHING. I'm very impressed with the DCS World experience in the Rift S.

That what Wags stated is my reason to buy it, if He can see a good difference, then I buy it. No need to buy a higher resolution as already Rift does very well, it is just the overall softness that can annoy here and there.

If I don't like about what I will receive, I totally do not blame him at all about stating his opinion and experiences, as with anything others say, you can take their input as weight and you need to weight it against everything else to sum it up.

There are few things I want from VR improvements.

1. Clarity for the cockpit. I would actually want to be able read the cockpit gauges, labels, readings etc. When I fly new aircraft, I want to be able to study it, find out where everything is etc. Without zooming, without leaning forward etc. It needs to be clear what I am looking at. Like right now I don't like to fly UH-1H well as I can't read what the instruments are really showing. It takes too much time to try to see what is the value etc.

2. Good colors. I don't want false OLED colors or anything. Just be natural and good.

3. Contrast. The OLED clear advantage is black is black. At night you see black, not greyish. But that doesn't matter so much as it is just night operations and trying to spot the dark silhouette against the grayish sky when in formation flight, instead just the formation lights.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

For me the absorption of Belsimtek into ED was the worst thing that could have happened as they will now concentrate on American jet fighters or the pathetic WWII airframes America produced (except the stang). perhaps another variant of a german fighter we already got.. perhaps? I have heard this tune soo many times it makes me puke.

Some inconsistencies..... Please, search some info before put that "conclusions" over the table.

- 1º Belsimtek was your plans previously to the ED fusion (Mi-24 Hind Helo, F-4E Phantom II, AH-1 Cobra) and the collaboration with the F/A-18C. Now add other "collaboration" with the F-16 and continue working on the Hind, Phantom, cobra and others future projects (Show on 2019 Newsletter).

- 2º WW2 Team has "outside" of Belsimtek work (BSK not have plans yet to more "historic" aircraft's), and yet has a "pathetic" Fw-190 A-8 (german), Mosquito (UK) and P-47 (USA) on works, a follow Me-262 (german) and others WW2 aircraft's planned by that "team".

Edited by Silver_Dragon

It was news for me that made me sad, but they kept everything as is. Same studio, same leadership, same coders etc. Just that they now can work in ED etc. (at least that is what they say). I believe that ED recognized that as Belsimtek works well as is, there is no reason to change it.

So lets not make that situation sound evil, okay?

I own every thing in DCS! Every module except FC3 (I bought each airframe individually when released). I always bought on pre release... always.

I did this because I wanted DCS to expand and expand fast. I did this for every 3rd party developer no matter what they released.

I tried to get into the planes and apart from the harrier and Viggen, I just found them boring... I only love choppers!

I am a chopper head by first, second as a fixed wing pilot. My favorites are Su-25A and Su-25T when it comes to those, but I do like the speed of the Viggen and its purpose, but all these other aircrafts are really boring because the DCS core engine doesn't support what it is all about.

There is absolutely no doubt that chopper up dates are well and truly at the back of the line.... and even when we reach the back of the line, I am sure ED will find some new idea that needs work before the chopper updates.

Well, KA-50 update would be nice, finally get it cleared from "Not modeled" or "Not functional" features like a actually working Missile Warning System, R-73 etc (that cockpit is wired, has all the buttons etc).

But it is IMHO one of those things that gets nitpicked just little too much for "realism". As if the aircraft was designed to do something but specific prototype had cables cut by a ground crew with $2 cable cutters or simply disconnected the plug, then why to try to be so "realistic", instead go then with the purpose and idea, meaning of the design?

I find this behaviour shameful.

I hear nothing of the Hind and plenty of another US jet, the F16. In the old days I knew my place but nowadays I must ensure that DCS moves in the right direction before we end up with some useless all American simulator with no opposition what so ever!

Few years ago it was that one fixed wing was to come out and then AH-1S (that is 3-4 different models, what we are getting is likely the one with 20 mm cannon) or Mi-24P. And Wags already teased about the Mi-24P "What is that Hind doing here" about two years ago, was it when taxiing with F-5 (or L-39) and Hind was on the right side.

But then suddenly all were frozen, F-4 got lost to jungle, AH-1 is likely chopped to backup parts, and Mi-24 is lost in action in mountains.

We have SAR missions going, but now it is more about ground troops asking around and hearing rumors and some tiny tips where those might be located, but so far we do not have any exact confirmed information where they might be.

So for the chopper community I will now make a commitment.

No longer will I buy anything from DCS or 3rd parties until a new chopper is released.

And funny enough, yes please! The chopper community would kill for a US attack Chopper!

I have two bad experiences and so on memories from the DCS.

• Hawk T.1A that was for so long in so bad shape that finally the developer turned and burned. Just awful thing that they could do because ED license agreement with them didn't cover that ED gets all the material from the project if the studio turns and burns. Now they do, so that is good thing for the future as if something such things happens, ED can protect that the product doesn't die. Hawk got shot down by an arrow, it was dead before it hit the ground. Bad things happens, but ED learned from it and I like that it wouldn't happen anymore in the future if ED got licensing changed with others. Good for us.

• Mig-21Bis that was mixed feeling and now feels bad. I just can't trust it. When a module receives so many major flight modeling changes that it goes from one far end of the scale to another end and each time developers say "THis is now realistic", then I can't trust it. If someone would say that a car you purchased with specs of 127 HP engine in it, turns suddenly in a update to 68 HP engine and then to 230 HP engine and then to 98 HP engine, I wouldn't trust anything that the studio does. In reality it is said that F-5 is almost identical with Mig-21F-13 flight performance based the Americans https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Doughnut and right now they are worlds apart, I can't take either one seriously.

1814011461_MIG-21-amp-F-5.JPG.7d907a5e73001841231c60b9d8e39d9c.JPG

http://www.checksix-fr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Compared-Air-Combat-Performances-Mig-21-vs-F-5E.pdf

If such thing happens on modules that you start to lose faith in them, then that is a serious note that every studio should take a point and do their best to avoid it.

And those my experiences reflects to everything else. It is like all the modules are in the echo chamber and if one starts to make signs of problem, it will echo on everything else as well. It is like an orchestra and ED is the conductor whoms task is to get everyone to play with the same tempo and note.

And so far ED is doing good job in that, as it can't do anything if someone just leaves their place and goes home. And that will leave everyone else trying to cover the missing instrument and player. These things takes time and requires as well faith from the customers. I will buy what helo comes first, as I trust that ED does their job and evaluate the real data to coded data....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

what is your opinion on the fliht dynamics of the dcs huey? In particular concerning inrtia in hovering state, VRS and translational lift.

A friend of mine with ovee 5000 hours on the huey and ch-53 was not too convinced though I would say I have a well configured simpit with a Warthog throttle converted to a collective.

Edited by shimasteama

I actually like the VR "softness" and such, as it is simulating the reality. In real world one doesn't spot easily a fighter in few kilometer distances, they can really sneak up to you. That is one of the MiG-21 and F-5 advantages that they are far smaller than any F-15 or F-14. And when they point their nose on you, they disappear even if you look straight at them, and if you can't reacquire them in few seconds, they will be lost and they are likely in your six already (why you need to know how to fly and what other can do, instead just trying to spot the targets).

On ground units you can't really spot a stationary vehicle from past few hundred meters if it is not casting shadows, reflecting light etc. If it is camouflaged to break its shape (as any crew would do) then you can't spot it.

All those are changing the ways how a virtual pilot needs to operate in the virtual battlefield, more realistic and more accurate. But increasing HMD resolution etc is just turning things back to more unrealistic direction.

Like a helicopter pilot in combat, you just were required to accept that at any given time you could be shot at from direction that you only can spot from the gun muzzles flashes or general heading by sound, if not now someone clearly appearing with good contrast.

And VR is now simulating that fairly well, difficult to spot infantry etc. But it could be made better even, add lots of ground clutter and shapes and colors that helicopter pilot would find extremely distracting and alarming, as well CAS pilots when they can't just spot a vehicle on the ground as a build model on billiard table.

That is one of the great things with the Starway ground re-texturing mod (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233952) that really turns things far more difficult (more difficult to spot units), easier (as you can remember better the ground shapes and positions) and more beautiful (the ground starts to look as a ground, instead islands of the forest and buildings).

Now if the pilots who fly low would really get all the rocks, bushes, swamps, meadows etc etc, I would like to then get higher resolution HMD.

But as Wags said in his testing of the Oculus Rift S (https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3878124&postcount=1)

That what Wags stated is my reason to buy it, if He can see a good difference, then I buy it. No need to buy a higher resolution as already Rift does very well, it is just the overall softness that can annoy here and there.

If I don't like about what I will receive, I totally do not blame him at all about stating his opinion and experiences, as with anything others say, you can take their input as weight and you need to weight it against everything else to sum it up.

There are few things I want from VR improvements.

1. Clarity for the cockpit. I would actually want to be able read the cockpit gauges, labels, readings etc. When I fly new aircraft, I want to be able to study it, find out where everything is etc. Without zooming, without leaning forward etc. It needs to be clear what I am looking at. Like right now I don't like to fly UH-1H well as I can't read what the instruments are really showing. It takes too much time to try to see what is the value etc.
  2. Good colors. I don't want false OLED colors or anything. Just be natural and good.
  3. Contrast. The OLED clear advantage is black is black. At night you see black, not greyish. But that doesn't matter so much as it is just night operations and trying to spot the dark silhouette against the grayish sky when in formation flight, instead just the formation lights.

Whole heartedly agree

what is your opinion on the fliht dynamics of the dcs huey? In particular concerning inrtia in hovering state, VRS and translational lift.

A friend of mine with ovee 5000 hours on the huey and ch-53 was not too convinced though I would say I have a well configured simpit with a Warthog throttle converted to a collective.

Some of these things are a matter of 'ten people having twenty opinions'. A former Huey pilot I talked to once said «all that's missing is the smell of fuel». It's probably not perfect, but it's also probably pretty good.

Some of these things are a matter of 'ten people having twenty opinions'. A former Huey pilot I talked to once said «all that's missing is the smell of fuel». It's probably not perfect, but it's also probably pretty good.

There are VR kits which provide smells lol

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 1 year later...

This post aged well!

Norwegian Rotorhead w\ All Helicopters

Watercooled AMD FX-8350 | Geforce 1060 6GB | 16 GiG DDR3 | Warthog Everything w/ pendulum pedals | Rift VR

Watercooled AMD Ryzen 9500X | RTX 3080 12GB | 64 GB DDR4 3600mhz | Warthog Everything w/Pendulum Pedals | Rift VR (CV1)