RS Mapper Release

Avantar

Totally new to this program, does it need to be running while in use with DCS? or does this get exported as a LUA file?

Thanks.

Hi Stache,

This is a program that will run in background - together with DCS or any other sim. It will not export LUA.

Avantar

Avantar

My rig: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI; HyperX Fury RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16; Intel Core i9-10900KA; Zotac RTX 3090; HOTAS Warthog; HOTAS Cougar; MFD Cougar; Track IR 5; Saitek Pro Flight rudder Pedals

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Avantar

I may have been wrong on the profile names appearing at the top of program. It seems that you have to open a profile for it to appear on top and merely going to the profile drop down does not do it. However, I am a little confused on the interplay of the open command and list under the profile drop down.

On a separate matter: It does not appear that you can have BOTH a trigger action and a profile change on one button. Currently, it appears that it would take 2 buttons to trigger an action and change profiles. On the F18, if you want to go to air-to-air mode, it has a button “AIR” that lights up when pressed to set the jet up for air-to-air. When you press the button again, the light goes out and the jet goes into navigation mode. I was wondering if you could duplicate this by having one button put the jet in air-to-air mode and at the same time, change the profile to the air-to-air profile. As it stands now, I would have to remember to change profiles after pressing the air-to-air button.

Hi Sobe, I do not really follow the first part about the profile names in the window title (it will show you the FILE name, the actuall active profile name is located in the status bar at the bottom of the window).

As for the profile/action combination it is possible and quite simple. First, you map a single press action to change to air to air mode and “on release” for the same button you do a change-profile-action.

Avantar

My rig: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI; HyperX Fury RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16; Intel Core i9-10900KA; Zotac RTX 3090; HOTAS Warthog; HOTAS Cougar; MFD Cougar; Track IR 5; Saitek Pro Flight rudder Pedals

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello,

i have to say that the programm is really useful. The way DCS behaves with the Warthog is really shitty so i have to thank you!

One thing i would request as a feature: Key-sequence, like if i flip a Switch for fence-in - it will switch off all lights, master-arm on, gun-arm on and so on. That would be very usefull, esp. with VR, when you dont need to use the mouse for all that buttons.

Mark

Hi MarkP,

It is a valid feature request :) I will look into this, but currently I am working on adding virtual direct X devices to the program so ‘action sequence’ feature will go next.

Avantar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Avantar

Hi Sobe, I do not really follow the first part about the profile names in the window title (it will show you the FILE name, the actuall active profile name is located in the status bar at the bottom of the window).

So what is the difference between the file name and the active profile? I think I understand the difference, but for example when I have the default profile listed at the bottom and my basic profile opened (named at the top), the drop down box only shows the default profile even though I have a third profile named Air. Also, in the change dialog box, only the default profile appears and I cannot change to my basic profile. Perhaps you could do a YouTube video on profiles?

As for the profile/action combination it is possible and quite simple. First, you map a single press action to change to air to air mode and “on release” for the same button you do a change-profile-action.

This is why you can write this program and I am having issues just learning it.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Hi Sobe,

I am not a youtube guy, but I will try to give brief explanation here:

1. First you start with empty default profile.

1_Empty.png.a67d2e7017fcf7e5b27ae172e7bfb9a2.png

Please note empty header (A) - that means that no file has been loaded/saved.

Also, please note the status bar (B) - it tells you that currently active profile is one named "default"

2. You can add second profile by clicking Profile->New Profile menu. Yes, you can have multiple profiles in one file.

1945086470_2_SecondProfile.png.f02229f8c1d7e3b7fc66d3fe366de035.png

Your app header still shows empty (A) - no file has been saved.

New Profile ("Second profile") shows up in the profile list (B).

Also, when you create new profile the it activates automatically so starus bar shows that "Second Profile" is currently active. ©

3. When you save the profiles on the disk (or load previously saved file) the header starts displaying file path. (A)

3_saved.png.6bb6ea9cf843c5a2ddf64217f7169e36.png

Nothing really changes in the profile list (B) and status bar © - you only saved the file and didnt make any changes to active profiles.

4. You can change active profile by clicking on the profile name in the Profile menu (A)

1364920598_4_changebyclicking.png.7cc75d3793f7754beee6ffdba0968e94.png

On the screenshot I only highlighted the name (default) (A) and I didn't clicked it yet - hence the currently active profile still shows "Second Profile" . (B). When I click the name it becomes acitve and the name there changes.

5. And finally the combination you described

5_change_by_button.thumb.png.2d72509765b4ca5d6c4e609a5887b4ec.png

In this case you have 2 profiles with different button actions.

In this case you map the "single press" action to send a keystroke combination to change the in-game avionics mode (A) - sorry, I don't know exact key combination so I made my up :)

And then, you map "on release" (this is when you no longer press the button) to change actual RS Mapper profile (B). You just mark which profile you want to be active then, in my case "default".

Please note that you do this in "Second profile" - ©. When you switch to "default" profile you will have different mappings than those in the original profile.

Also, you can only change between profiles saved in one file. It doesn't matter if you have different profiles saved in different files (i.e. your "air" profile) - the program only allows to change between currently loaded profiles.

Hope that helps,

Avantar

Edited by Avantar
Clarification on multiple profiles in one file

Avantar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think that does it. Thanks

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Hi Avantar

I don't know what has happened but RS Mapper has stopped working in DCS for me :( I can test my keys in notepad and all works fine but if I go in to DCS nothing is registering.

I have tried Alt Enter to make sure it is full screen etc but now nothing works :(

Any ideas ?

Thanks

yes, that's exactly what "change profile on button press" feature was designed for. Instead of keystroke, after button press you change entire profile so new key definitions from new profile are instantly assigned to the buttons.

I am very interested about this kind softwares as they can often solve many troubles with many other applications.

So I have a few questions about this, as far I now understand, this is about keyboard mapping only?

Or does this support example mouse buttons be binded to buttons?

The profile changer, are they similar like in DCS now that they are toggle functions (Enable / Disable) or are they just "one-at-the-time" so if you have three profiles on three buttons, then pressing any profile button will swap to corresponding profile, instead generating a new profile? As in DCS the toggle shift is nice idea, but when you have two multipliers like A and B, then it is A, B or A+B or without any and you need to toggle those On-Off instead just press a button to select one you are using.

Edit: You explained it later about "Press" and "Release" to other input the mode and other then switch the profile itself... clever!

And is it possible to make a profile loaded by a button so it will as well automatically input a one button when activating? Meaning like in Su-25T when we have the main modes for Navigation, Boresight air-to-air, Air-to-Ground and reticle, that we could build a profile for each of those (like keep A-G mode without landing gear or landing flaps functions) but when you activate one, it would automatically input corresponding key press for the mode (like when activating "A-G" profile, it would automatically input "3" to change Su-25T to that mode as well).

Does this support combining multiple devices as one? As some HOTAS are individual controllers and older simulators detect only one at the time. So if this is just for the keyboard thing, then this likely doesn't allow to get a throttle axis and joystick axis to be "in one controller"?

I just today installed again the old 1998 "Tornado" simulator and trouble was to get keyboard functions binded to Thrustmaster. Couldn't get anyway the throttle in stick or throttle to operate. But the thrustmaster TARGET really is pushing away.

One thing I would like to really see is support for the Oculus Touch Controllers, don't know can you even read those inputs anywhere outside Oculus driver, but having a left/right mouse click operational would be great.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Hi Fri13,

I'll try to answer as best as I can.

1. does this support example mouse buttons be bound to buttons?

Currently RS Mapper is about mapping DirectX devices buttons into keyboard keystrokes only. I am working on mapping physical devices button input into virtual devices input, this will be done in 2.0 release and is still pretty far away. I do not plan on supporting mapping physical input into other physical device input (also, don't even know how this could be done atm).

2. profile changer, (...) are they just "one-at-the-time"

Currently you can have only one profile active, but there are tricks to make a button a "pinky switch" for a profile - if you change the profile on button press and change it back on button release you can effectively switch entire keyboard mapping for the time you press certain button.

3. you need to toggle those On-Off instead just press a button to select one you are using.

Well, yes - it probably could be more convenient for some people to just press the key combination you want to map instead of picking it from dropdown list and then applying shift/ctrl/alt modifiers by checking appropriate boxes. It was however easier, faster and less error-prone to code when version 0.1 of RS mapper appeared :) I think I can add the latter method as a feature request and create an alternate binding method in some future version.

4. Does this support combining multiple devices as one?

No, RS Mapper detects devices one at a time. In a single profile you can have bindings for multiple devices but you can map buttons for throttle and joystick separately. This way you are able to access every single button, POV and axis (although RS Mapper currently is not doing anything with axes)

5. I would like to really see is support for the Oculus Touch Controllers

So far I was not really able to get Oculus to work :) I am stuck on detecting HDMI... weird error. As for touch control, I would need to check if they register as a DirectX/DirectInput devices. If they do they probably could be mapped as any other device (they may have a different device class so currently they do not show up on the device list - but if you are interested I can create a dev build for you that show ALL the devices and you can look if you can find oculus controls then - send me a private message with details how to reach you).

Cheers,

Avantar

Avantar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Avantar

I don't know what has happened but RS Mapper has stopped working in DCS for me :( I can test my keys in notepad and all works fine but if I go in to DCS nothing is registering.

I have tried Alt Enter to make sure it is full screen etc but now nothing works :(

Any ideas ?

Thanks

That's the first time I hear about something like that. Which version of RS mapper are you using?

If you say that your keys are registering in the notepad but not in DCS there is a chance that some modifier is not working properly or some other application is getting focus of the keyboard strokes. I would need to try and debug more - but for that I would need some cooperation from your side. Please let me know if changing the profiles, getting never version or rebooting ;-) didn't help.

Avantar

Avantar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's the first time I hear about something like that. Which version of RS mapper are you using?

If you say that your keys are registering in the notepad but not in DCS there is a chance that some modifier is not working properly or some other application is getting focus of the keyboard strokes. I would need to try and debug more - but for that I would need some cooperation from your side. Please let me know if changing the profiles, getting never version or rebooting ;-) didn't help.

Avantar

Hi thanks for the response. I am using the latest .44 release. I did use xpadder before finding this and that still works for me.

I have tried creating a brand new profile just mapping a trigger and button to keyboard A and tested in controls section of DCS as well as in game but still no luck

I did also give another mapping tool a try Joystick gremlin and Vjoy as i wanted to see if i could add a button press to an axis. But i have uninstalled and manual deleted all reference to those.

Just ran this program with the Su25T profile in DCS 2.5 openbeta with today's update and all was fine.

Two things I noticed with this program. First, no assignments appear in the controller columns for the module in the game. Second, you can use the same profile for both the released and openbeta versions so you only have to do it once. Neat.

Assume that I have a file X that contains profile A and want to do a profile B which is very similiar to profile A, but it has some changes. Could you please explain how I would import into File X, profile A but changing its name to profile B and then making some minor changes to profile B (so I would not have to redo all of the commands in profile B-only those that change) ? Profile A would be air to air and profile B would be air to ground with many similiar but some different commands to profile A. Did I confuse everyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Avantar

As I understand your posts, your program does not currently allow a user to program a button to act as a modifer key like you can do in DCS. Can I mix your program with the ability to use a modifer key that is programed inside DCS?

• 2 weeks later...

First attempt at a profile

Attached is my first attempt at a profile for the F18. I am not sure if the attachment will work on different computer situations, but it might help someone. I have the Warthog HOTAS, rudder pedals and 4 TM MFDs.

In doing this profile I noticed some issues which might be caused by the difference between European and US keyboards.

1. There is no click box for the Windows key

2. I could not locate the Pause key in the drop down list

3. Not sure what the left and right \ drop down keys list means but I used the Right \ for my profile.

F18.zip

...... currently I am working on adding virtual direct X devices to the program so ‘action sequence’ feature will go next.

Absolutely fantastic Avantar.... Over the years I have used most things extensively from 'target script' joy2key, VoiceAttack code direct on the controllers etc and this is great.... especially if you manage to incorporate DX codes and sequences.... brilliant - thank you Sir.. :)

SIGBLOCK.png

• 4 weeks later...
Attached is my first attempt at a profile for the F18. I am not sure if the attachment will work on different computer situations, but it might help someone. I have the Warthog HOTAS, rudder pedals and 4 TM MFDs.

In doing this profile I noticed some issues which might be caused by the difference between European and US keyboards.

1. There is no click box for the Windows key

2. I could not locate the Pause key in the drop down list

3. Not sure what the left and right \ drop down keys list means but I used the Right \ for my profile.

AD1.: I did not add Windows key to the list, didn't think anybody would use it in sims. Can add it in next version

AD2: The same as point 1 - never occurred to me you would like to map a system key to something different.

AD3: some keyboards have "\| " key doubled: immediately next to the left shift and immediately next to the ENTER key; hence right / left differentiation. It DOES matter if you have 2, and I don't remember if there is any "default" if you have just one. You just need to try.

Avantar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Avantar, thank you for all your effort here. I hate the TARGET software from Thrustmaster. Takes forever to switch profiles. However, I'm having a little trouble with yours. Any "Button" that I assign to single press without "continuous" repeat on, doesn't register in the aircraft. Here's what is really weird about it though. It will register in the "edit controls" menu.

For example:

(Thrustmaster Warthog)

I bind LShift + B to the forward Airbrake button

LSHIFT + B Single Press

Repeat Off

Results: The airbrake doesn't extend

Open "Adjust Controls"

Push the Airbrake switch forward again

The speedbrake extend command is now highlighted with Keyboard command LSHIFT+B.

This clearly shows DCS is receiving a command.

However, if I change the Single Press command and add "Reapeat + Continuous", the aircraft will register the command and the speedbrake will extend.

I have also tried setting "repeat with "X - Times". Same result as before. Nothing from the aircraft, but the adjust controls menu registers the command.

Now, in most cases setting commands to continuous isn't an issue. However, the speedbrake forward switch is a problem because as long as it's on DCS won't register any following commands. I am also unable to then bind a "Long Press" to that command.

As if this wasn't odd enough, it only effects "Buttons". The toggle switches on the Hotas work fine with "Single Press and no repeat". But in order for any of the buttons to work, they must be set to continuous.

Any ideas? Anything I can try?

I appreciate your help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

Pac Man, I wil ltry to take a look into this. Your example with speedbrake is caused most likely because the action (speedbrake open) works like this: open speedbrake step by step as long as you have the button pressed. So if you press the button once only then it opens only a tiny fraction or possible even not at all as this will indeed require continous input to register.

Can you do me a favor and try the button and assign it to extending or lowering the landing gear (usually the 'g' key). Here it should work with only single press.

Also, knowing which aircraft you are trying to map would help.

Avantar.

Avantar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pac Man, I wil ltry to take a look into this. Your example with speedbrake is caused most likely because the action (speedbrake open) works like this: open speedbrake step by step as long as you have the button pressed. So if you press the button once only then it opens only a tiny fraction or possible even not at all as this will indeed require continous input to register.

Can you do me a favor and try the button and assign it to extending or lowering the landing gear (usually the 'g' key). Here it should work with only single press.

Also, knowing which aircraft you are trying to map would help.

Avantar.

Sorry, the speedbrake was a bad example. I have tried with multiple configurations. So, the command that actually drew my attention to this was A/G mode and A/A Mode in the Hornet. I bound the master mode button on the stick:

Single Press : 1 - A/A Mode

Long Press : 2 - A/G Mode

Received the results I was alerting you to. Also, I have discovered after testing with the F-15C and the Harrier, this seems to only be effecting the F-18.

Edited by Pac-Man
More Information

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

Received the results I was alerting you to. Also, I have discovered after testing with the F-15C and the Harrier, this seems to only be effecting the F-18.

Ok, that gives me an idea. I will check the F-18C NATOPS manual, I remember reading that for some functions you need to press the button for more than (I can't remember, 0.5s?). If it's implemented like this then you need to use continuous option to really press this that long. Long press will not work in this case as this mimics A-10C controls: "wait 1s and if still pressed send single command", not "send the key continuously for 1s".

Will let you know what I've found.

Avantar.

Avantar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, that gives me an idea. I will check the F-18C NATOPS manual, I remember reading that for some functions you need to press the button for more than (I can't remember, 0.5s?). If it's implemented like this then you need to use continuous option to really press this that long. Long press will not work in this case as this mimics A-10C controls: "wait 1s and if still pressed send single command", not "send the key continuously for 1s".

Will let you know what I've found.

Avantar.

I appreciate the help. Thank you for very much for taking time out of your day for this. It's really a fantastic product.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]