GBU-38 - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #21
Swiftwin9s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
if I understand you correctly, do I need to rewrite the coordinates from the TOO to PP and my bombs will become accurate ??)
Its not about whether its in TOO or PP mode, the important thing is whether the coordinates are absolute (from a JTAC or satellite photos), or relative (from a tpod designation). Relative Coordinates are less reliable than absolute.
Swiftwin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #22
launchedsquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
In terms of what? Accuracy or weapon effects? Same bomb body, just different guidance. There are some that combine both (I.E. EGBU-24).

You also have to take into account...’most’ everyone here is making a ‘guess’ as the real life weapons accuracy/effects data is classified info. I’ve got plenty of old pictures from Kuwait of the bunkers that were hit in DS, still intact and still used to this day without rebuilding them, and many were hit with multiple 2000 pounders. If you were to walk inside them, many don’t look like they were ever blown up aside from the holes in the ceiling. Actual wartime armored/fortified assets are much different than the dirt structures we’ve been hitting for 20 years. Unfortunately, you are talking about a lot of extra modeling to simulate the effects on both. ED has shown models of different fuzing being modeled, we can only hope that weaponeering becomes part of the mix at some point in the future.
In terms of JDAM's and GBU-12's are entirely different weapons.

JDAM stands for Joint Direct Attack Munition, and they are GBU-31, GBU-32, GBU-35, GBU-38, GBU-54.

GBU-12's are part of the Paveway family.

They are made by different manufacturers.
launchedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:05 PM   #23
Sasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftwin9s View Post
Its not about whether its in TOO or PP mode, the important thing is whether the coordinates are absolute (from a JTAC or satellite photos), or relative (from a tpod designation). Relative Coordinates are less reliable than absolute.
COORDINATES from the card f10, as I understand it, absolute? that is, if I introduce them my bombs will be accurate right?
Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #24
Rainmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchedsquid View Post
In terms of JDAM's and GBU-12's are entirely different weapons.

JDAM stands for Joint Direct Attack Munition, and they are GBU-31, GBU-32, GBU-35, GBU-38, GBU-54.

GBU-12's are part of the Paveway family.

They are made by different manufacturers.
I know exactly what they are. I’ve spent 21 years in the military. The bomb itself is the same. You’re still not getting it.
Rainmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #25
Swordsman422

Translation to make it a bit easier to understand:

The GBU-38 and GBU-12 have different guidance packages, but the part of the weapon that goes boom is the same Mk. 82 500 pounder. It's up to the squadron gunners to add the appropriate parts to transform it into either a GBU-38 or GBU-12.

That about sum it up, Rainmaker?

CPU: i7-7700k 4.5 GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080ti
HD: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB 15k RPM HDD
Swordsman422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #26
Rainmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman422 View Post
Translation to make it a bit easier to understand:

The GBU-38 and GBU-12 have different guidance packages, but the part of the weapon that goes boom is the same Mk. 82 500 pounder. It's up to the squadron gunners to add the appropriate parts to transform it into either a GBU-38 or GBU-12.

That about sum it up, Rainmaker?
Yep, the bomb dump dudes are your assembly line. They take the body and add the kits, fuzes, etc.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #27
launchedsquid

I think you've misunderstood the whole point of my reply. I wasn't suggesting ANYTHING about the performance or capability or ANYTHING about GBU-12's vs JDAMS.

I was replying to Notso who was criticising GBU-12 performance in a JDAM thread.

I said "GBU-12's aren't JDAMS". You started talking about "accuracy/effects", "classified info" and "Kuwaiti bunkers". None of that is relevant to what I said.

All I was saying is JDAM is a different type bomb guidance kit then a Paveway.

I think you tried to read between the lines and have come up with a whole different conversation.

I hope I cleared that up, have a nice day.
launchedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #28
Notso

Quote:
I think you've misunderstood the whole point of my reply. I wasn't suggesting ANYTHING about the performance or capability or ANYTHING about GBU-12's vs JDAMS.

I was replying to Notso who was criticising GBU-12 performance in a JDAM thread.

I said "GBU-12's aren't JDAMS". You started talking about "accuracy/effects", "classified info" and "Kuwaiti bunkers". None of that is relevant to what I said.

I think you tried to read between the lines and have come up with a whole different conversation.

I totally agree. And the only reason I threw GBU-12s into the thread was to counter Harlikens assertion that all weapons in DCS were perfectly accurate. I was simply using the GBU-12 example to say that they are not perfect in game because you can still miss if you don't do the procedures correctly. I was not attempting to talk about effects or 12 vs 38. It was just an example that DCS accuracy is not always 100%. That's all.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:47 AM   #29
Rainmaker

Quote:

That why my first two questions were to get clarification on what you meant. (I.E. guidance or effects)
Old 07-08-2020, 10:42 PM   #30
Raider-27

Don't launch from the very max point of its range. It makes it inaccurate. Wait like 10 sec after max to gain a quality long shot.