HQ7 sensor modelling

Floydii

Will the HQ7 launch unit be updated to include a tracking radar? I am referring specifically to the launch vehicle and not the search radar vehicle.

Currently it conducts silent engagements where the target aircraft is not alerted via RWR that it is being tracked.

I understand this is possible with the optical (and thermal?) tracker fitted to the system. However, in DCS, cloud and overcast is not taken into consideration and therefore the launcher can guide missiles through obscuration that would usually prevent visual (silent) engagement. This is exacerbated by the ~17000ft ceiling of the system, which is significantly higher than other 'silent' systems (stinger, igla, rapier).

Given DCS limitations, and the fact that the actual HQ7 launch unit is fitted with a monopulse tracking radar, the system should work in a similar fashion to the SA8 or SA15 where the target aircraft is illuminated with a tracking radar during engagement.

Can this be added to provide a more realistic experience within the context of DCS?

Reference for HQ7 method of operation:

https://www.ausairpower.net/APA-HQ-7-Crotale.html

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm quite curious about this as well.

Crotale is equipped with a TV and IR tracking camera system, but it looks like in any mode missile guidance is ACLOS using the radar to send guidance commands. My guess then would be that silent engagement without triggering an RWR launch alert would be impossible, as the tracking radar needs to be used to guide the missile even if it's not actively tracking the target. It shouldn't be too hard to make the RWR provide a launch warning when it detects Crotale guidance commands being broadcast in your direction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Yah, I just got shot down by an HQ-7 from 20,000 feet through clouds. This thing is definitely more lethal than it should be ...

Why is it not realistic, playing devils advocate here its radar guided, hence why it has greater range than a standard IR - it only goes IR active in its terminal guidance phase which can be well above the cloud base.

What is wrong and havent seen it noted here is that you can kill the launch radar vehicle and still launch the missiles, to my understanding this is incorrect - the system needs the initial radar guidance prior to handoff to the missile seeker head for IR.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Why is it not realistic, playing devils advocate here its radar guided, hence why it has greater range than a standard IR - it only goes IR active in its terminal guidance phase which can be well above the cloud base.

What is wrong and havent seen it noted here is that you can kill the launch radar vehicle and still launch the missiles, to my understanding this is incorrect - the system needs the initial radar guidance prior to handoff to the missile seeker head for IR.

Ignoring that the post was a month ago, I believe it was change in the last two patches to give you warning it is not IR guiding either but command guidance, the IR/thermal camera is just being used to generate the CLOS commands

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg