Compressor stall right after takeoff

sthompson

I'm often finding that the little MiG stalls soon after takeoff. I'll be at 100% throttle (having throttled up slowly prior to and during the takeoff run), 12000 RPM, 100 meters AGL, climbing ever so slowly, going about 300 km/hr, not pulling the stick hard or turning or anything. I've just barely got the gear up and am retracting flaps. And then I hear a bang and the RPMs start dropping and then I'm dropping too. Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong? :(

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

I'm often finding that the little MiG stalls soon after takeoff. I'll be at 100% throttle (having throttled up slowly prior to and during the takeoff run), 12000 RPM, 100 meters AGL, climbing ever so slowly, going about 300 km/hr, not pulling the stick hard or turning or anything. I've just barely got the gear up and am retracting flaps. And then I hear a bang and the RPMs start dropping and then I'm dropping too. Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong? :(

Quick question, what is happening when you slam throttle from 0 to max at very fast pace ?

Because when you set up Mig-15 in right way nothing should happen, engine should spool up slowly to max RPM.

Are you starting plane manually or are you using auto start ?

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Check if the same thing happens in hot-started-on-runway missions. Or if it happens in cold-started missions after using auto-start script.

If it doesn't, then it means you forgot to click something during your own cold start procedure, or you clicked something you shouldn't. A replay track would help so that we can have a look.

I recall there was some system in the -15 responsible for smooth fuel application despite fast movements of thrust lever to avoid compressor stalls (as per graf's description above), and this thingy was operated by one of the switches in the cockpit, but I haven't flown the plane for a long time and don't remember the details.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Check if the same thing happens in hot-started-on-runway missions. Or if it happens in cold-started missions after using auto-start script.

If it doesn't, then it means you forgot to click something during your own cold start procedure, or you clicked something you shouldn't. A replay track would help so that we can have a look.

I recall there was some system in the -15 responsible for smooth fuel application despite fast movements of thrust lever to avoid compressor stalls (as per graf's description above), and this thingy was operated by one of the switches in the cockpit, but I haven't flown the plane for a long time and don't remember the details.

Yes, there is a switch on left engine panel, which should not be switched for normal operation.

Switch number 5 should be off.

If this switch is on and green light is on next to it Automatic fule system managed is isolated.

I can tell that this is very common mistake.

Vq8fAUB.png

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

A short track would help.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

I think I found the problem. I started having this problem occasionally in the middle of missions too, but quite intermittently. Last time it happened I made a track and played back with the control-enter input display turned on so I could see my control inputs. My throttle was spiking from 100% to zero % and back for a split second right at the time I heard the bang. I did have the isolation valve switch turned off, and no bird strikes on. So I think the problem is my aging CH Pro Throttle. :joystick: Thanks for the various suggestions.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals