Rift S

Exactly. I agree with some1. Maybe a vive pro Is still Better, but It Is very expensive and requires external tracking. I've got 3 sensors with cv1 and I have nearly zero tracking issues using touch controllers. Maybe vive tracking system Is Better, but imho Rift with 3 sensors Is more than enough. If inside out Rift s tracking Is similar in performance but without all my USBs occupied and cables hanging on the walls, that's a huge upgrade to me. In addition, I do not Need top of the art tracking with dcs because I use only hmd and mouse, no controllers. I'd like to see steam solution to compare, but Rift s is One of the top hmds in my wishlist, and I can run It with ease with my "simple" 2070.

when thinking about why companies do what they do, don’t forget to include cost and market share in your thoughts.

it’s rare that a company can’t make the high end products if it wanted to. rather, there is simply more profits and business objectives at the lower end.

it will be interesting to see if pimax can sustain their business at the high end.

The Reverb looks good, but VR is still stuck in the previous generation even with the new headsets set to release. The gpu power required to keep pace by just increasing lens resolution and fov just doesn't exist to make it practical. At this point, I'd just get a solid headset that gives a livable performance, until the gen 2 headsets hit the market hopefully with the vr tech that's desperately needed: foveated rendering and accurate eye tracking. I think the rift S with its moderately increased res. and reasonable price might be a good option. I say that if you have the cash to dump on a new headset, get something to hold you over until a real revolution in VR hits the market - I don't mean larger screen resolution either. I would vote against dumping the very large chunk of change on the pimax 5k unless you have literally the best system money can buy with 2080 RTX titan. Barring that, I think the pimax 5k will not meet your expectations and its questionable that the reverb will as well.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Have been very happy with my rift for the last couple of years but just went to an odyssey+ and am very happy with it as well [had to do a lot of fiddling with it to make it enjoyable]. After dk2 and cv1 I think I am done with a facebook product unless they really change their attitude towards future developement.

Exactly. My current Rift has given me almost 2 years of VR/Sim pleasure via DCS. :thumbup:

When Rift CV1 launched, it was the state of the art on VR displays and lenses ...

Rift S is not a bad HMD, but will get outdated very quickly. Even on launch there will be HMDs like the reverb with better resolution on "Pixels Per Degree"

Seeing Rift S will not be available when HP Reverb launches, wait for the Reverb reviews on launch, if you only play Fligh Simulators.

If you play games with touch controllers, the Rift S is a better option.

Edited by cercata

When Rift CV1 launched, it was the state of the art on VR displays and lenses ...

Rift S is not a bad HMD, but will get outdated very quickly. Even on launch there will be HMDs like the reverb with better resolution on "Pixels Per Degree"

Seeing Rift S will not be available when HP Reverb launches, wait for the Reverb reviews on launch, if you only play Fligh Simulators.

If you play games with touch controllers, the Rift S is a better option.

Oculus has ceded the lead in PC-VR tech with the upcoming release of the Rift S.

I held back upgrading my CV1 waiting and waiting on something I thought would be great from Oculus, only to be disappointed now. I built this new rig in Jan with hopes of getting a great updated Rift in the near future.

Right now my eyes are strongly on the upcoming Valve Index. It seems to have more of what I had hoped the next Rift would be. I still have Oculus games I fully enjoy on occasion , will likely just keep the CV1 for those. I flight sim way more than I play Oculus games.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The Reverb looks good, but VR is still stuck in the previous generation even with the new headsets set to release. The gpu power required to keep pace by just increasing lens resolution and fov just doesn't exist to make it practical. At this point, I'd just get a solid headset that gives a livable performance, until the gen 2 headsets hit the market hopefully with the vr tech that's desperately needed: foveated rendering and accurate eye tracking. I think the rift S with its moderately increased res. and reasonable price might be a good option. I say that if you have the cash to dump on a new headset, get something to hold you over until a real revolution in VR hits the market - I don't mean larger screen resolution either. I would vote against dumping the very large chunk of change on the pimax 5k unless you have literally the best system money can buy with 2080 RTX titan. Barring that, I think the pimax 5k will not meet your expectations and its questionable that the reverb will as well.

There are games that run EXCEPTIONALLY well in VR. And Wags has just stated that they found a terrain fix that will give us about a 50% boost in performance. And there's vulkan coming that other flight sim vendors have adopted with great boost to VR performance.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I think I'll wait to see valve index (even if I do not like steam vr so much), but I agree with DocSigma: if I sell my CV1 configuration I can buy the new Rift s for a very low price, and if tomorrow a true 2nd gen headset comes out, with foveated rendering and eye tracking so that it can boost up visual clarity without the need of a super-expensive state of the art VGA, I can change again my HMD without too much complaints.