Another great thing about DCS WW2...

Recently someone commented that we should write about the good things of DCS WW2, especially multiplayer. Well, there is one very good thing. Very good indeed:

WW2 ended in 1945

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past few months, you will not have failed to have noticed that a new aircraft will be released to DCS tomorrow. (The fact it is released on the 13th and, not the 14th, seems a missed opportunity, but still.) Nevertheless, tomorrow will change DCS forever, as squillions of Tommycat pilots will flood the virtual skies, drowning the chat and comms with quotes from the Disney film as they roleplay Midget, Gooze, Conker, Merlot, Iceboy and all the other characters from their childhood cinema fantasies. Of course, few of them will have read the flight manuals or have the foggiest idea what to do, so expect pandemonium with flat spins, carrier crashes and more whining than a Harrier engine... all mixed in with a heady over-excitement. No doubt they too will wake up the next morning with a sticky navel and feeling somewhat disappointed, like Charlie once did. But fortunately for us, the "fat-F/A18C-wannabe" was not introduced until 1974. Even if we complain about how the Mk.IX is up against the K-4, at least the WW2 servers draw the line at 1945 when it comes to aircraft match-ups. Let us sincerely hope that no-one decides to inflict the "Final Countdown" on us.

But with the exception of that sort of nonsense, the WW2 scene will be blissfully free of the whole Topgum-reenactment-craze and we can get on with blowing each other out of the virtual skies in peace and quiet (well, as much peace and quiet as 6x.50cals or an coaxially-mounted 30mm will allow). We should be grateful, all we who moan about our green-tinted glasses or not enough methanol in our water. The "F(or)-14(yearold)-B(oys)" aircraft arrives tomorrow.

Long live DCS WW2 !!

PS: Oh, and... Dear Heatblur, could you come and develop some WW2 stuff now? Thanks! :D

I predict a decline of WW2 pilot numbers in the coming days. ;)

Isn’t it always that way when a new plane comes out? Lots of people just have to grab the “next new thing”. I understand they just want to try out anything new, and that’s OK. What a lot of those people don’t understand is that, in RL, you don’t fly a different plane every day. You concentrate on one or two and, therefore, don’t become a jack of all trades, master of none.

The Tomcat may be one of those like the Warthog or Hornet. So much to learn, you don’t have time for much else. If not, those WWII pilots may come back.

I know if I ever get an F-8 Crusader, I won’t fly anything else. :thumbup:

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

I recall a video on YouTube comparing the Spitfire against jets (guns only, limited airspace)...

The Spit always won, something about “superior turn rate” or somesuch. It would be interesting to see a Final Countdown-inspired fight!

I recall a video on YouTube comparing the Spitfire against jets (guns only, limited airspace)...

The Spit always won, something about “superior turn rate” or somesuch. It would be interesting to see a Final Countdown-inspired fight!

I will put a few F14s on the runway and make some nice long strafing passes over them in the MkIX just for good measure tonight.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

The Tomcat may be one of those like the Warthog or Hornet. So much to learn, you don’t have time for much else. If not, those WWII pilots may come back.

I think Jester will make the Turkey easier to learn than Hornet or Hog. Nonetheless, I too always come back to the Spit and P-51 for a prop joyride over Normandy and it will be no different this time. :pilotfly:

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

WW2 ended in 1945

Meh. One of my favourite past times is downing B-17's in my MiG-15.

Good stuff! :thumbup:

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Recently someone commented that we should write about the good things of DCS WW2, especially multiplayer. Well, there is one very good thing. Very good indeed:

WW2 ended in 1945

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past few months, you will not have failed to have noticed that a new aircraft will be released to DCS tomorrow. (The fact it is released on the 13th and, not the 14th, seems a missed opportunity, but still.) Nevertheless, tomorrow will change DCS forever, as squillions of Tommycat pilots will flood the virtual skies, drowning the chat and comms with quotes from the Disney film as they roleplay Midget, Gooze, Conker, Merlot, Iceboy and all the other characters from their childhood cinema fantasies. Of course, few of them will have read the flight manuals or have the foggiest idea what to do, so expect pandemonium with flat spins, carrier crashes and more whining than a Harrier engine... all mixed in with a heady over-excitement. No doubt they too will wake up the next morning with a sticky navel and feeling somewhat disappointed, like Charlie once did. But fortunately for us, the "fat-F/A18C-wannabe" was not introduced until 1974. Even if we complain about how the Mk.IX is up against the K-4, at least the WW2 servers draw the line at 1945 when it comes to aircraft match-ups. Let us sincerely hope that no-one decides to inflict the "Final Countdown" on us.

But with the exception of that sort of nonsense, the WW2 scene will be blissfully free of the whole Topgum-reenactment-craze and we can get on with blowing each other out of the virtual skies in peace and quiet (well, as much peace and quiet as 6x.50cals or an coaxially-mounted 30mm will allow). We should be grateful, all we who moan about our green-tinted glasses or not enough methanol in our water. The "F(or)-14(yearold)-B(oys)" aircraft arrives tomorrow.

Long live DCS WW2 !!

PS: Oh, and... Dear Heatblur, could you come and develop some WW2 stuff now? Thanks! :D

I haven't been laughing so loud in my head from a long time.. Thanks for this post!

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5