Realistic spotting mod for Oculus Rift users

So I recently got the Rift. One of the few shortcomings is that spotting planes has become a challenge. I used Eekz's label mod before but with the rift those dots look massive, like flying among black bricks of houses.

So I started tweaking it, and came up with a label mod that's hardly noticeable, very faint, and it's centered in the plane so transition is smooth. Don't think about it as a label, more like a view enhancing mod. You won't see black dots from 10 miles...I fly small planes in real life so I have a pretty solid idea how far I can spot other planes. I think I managed to nail it with this one. Your mileage may vary with different settings than mine, but I thought I'd share (with Eekz's permission of course).

DOWNLOAD:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302086/

5ff7fd12bc6bd848ab0db9e58372be1b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My thanks. I'll give that a try later on.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

thanks, I will try this out on the weekend. (Got kiddies coming over tonight for treats). :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

to me it is like there are no labels...i cannot see any label....

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽   🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

There is a label, right at the centre of the target, but now it’s a dot, as against a neon sign.

Certainly seems to be working as I “feel” that the ranges I’m spotting enemies at seems far more appropriate.

So good work for that, my thanks OP.

The only thing that springs to mind is to have a different version with colours, denoting which side an aircraft is on. Less important to monitor users with their telescope level zoom, but IMO, important for VR users, for whom aircraft identification is very hard.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

There is a label, right at the centre of the target, but now it’s a dot, as against a neon sign.

Certainly seems to be working as I “feel” that the ranges I’m spotting enemies at seems far more appropriate.

So good work for that, my thanks OP.

The only thing that springs to mind is to have a different version with colours, denoting which side an aircraft is on. Less important to monitor users with their telescope level zoom, but IMO, important for VR users, for whom aircraft identification is very hard.

i understand...but cannot see it..using the default ED dot (colored one) i can see it but obviously i would like something more realistic

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽   🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

i like this, but the missiles are way too big, its ez to confuse them with planes.. Can you make it that the missiles are not bigger ?

Main-Module: F-16C, AH-64D

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Caucasus, 1944 Normandy, NTTR

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

it does look like. I even fired a aim9x on my own aim120 because i thougt (not even kidding) that the aim120 was an AWACS :D

Main-Module: F-16C, AH-64D

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Caucasus, 1944 Normandy, NTTR

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hey - How do I install this one on the steam version? Haven't played yet with mods in DCS (even when I am playing this game for years now :D)

The Path in the readme is not available for me?

You'll find it in your saved games folder

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

You'll find it in your saved games folder

Urm - Well, no? I was searching for it. But there is no. I even opened the mission editor and saved that thing in the default folder. But there is none. Can I make a folder myself?

I checked on my backup from my previous Windows 8.1 x64 Installation and now on my fresh Windows 10 1809 x64 - Still not here. Maybe because I don't use a local user, but instead I have a domain user with home directories? :helpsmilie:

Nice mod - I brought it finally to work. Somehow it was saved in my Docuemtns, not under the "Saved games". Strange o_O

Edited by Voodoo_One

1000 flights, 1000 crashes - perfect record

• 1 month later...

Nice mod. Actually, so good in fact I hardly even knew it was on until I found out about the Lshift+F10 toggle to verify it was working. I was afraid that it would make the experience unrealistic with the dot on the planes, but not at all. I wouldn't have known there was a dot if I hadn't installed the mod myself and looked for it.

Question: How do I make this apply to ground targets as well? It's very difficult to spot ground targets in the Rift, as I'm sure you're aware of, which makes VR unrealistic in that regard by default. If I could spot things on the ground like IRL, it would make the experience that much easier and better. I currently rely on my TGP more than needed. A T-55 sitting in an open field...perfectly hidden from me!

Thanks!

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Edit above post...

Nevermind. I figured out the ground target thing. The LUA was actually pretty easy to understand. Now I just have to tune it to realistic settings.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

HI guys,

I am currently using this mod, and it seems a "must have" for any VR user.

I have a question, does anyone know how to change the dot size at 4-3 km??, To make it a little more smaller. Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hotas TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder | Oculus Rift | MSI Z97 Gaming 3| i5-4690K oc 4.5Ghz | 16Gb ddr3 | GTX 1080 Ti | W10 64Bits

HI guys,

I am currently using this mod, and it seems a "must have" for any VR user.

I have a question, does anyone know how to change the dot size at 4-3 km??, To make it a little more smaller. Thanks!

I’ve been playing with the LUA file recently and also added the dot to ground targets. You can’t set up the dot to change size per distance. You get to choose one size (it’s actually a “dot” character, and a font size chosen). You can only charge it’s opacity per distance.

Take a look at the LUA file. It’s not too difficult to understand. The font came in at size 15. I changed it to 12 which made things better for me. Any smaller and it was very difficult to see.

I’ve been playing with the LUA file recently and also added the dot to ground targets. You can’t set up the dot to change size per distance. You get to choose one size (it’s actually a “dot” character, and a font size chosen). You can only charge it’s opacity per distance.

Take a look at the LUA file. It’s not too difficult to understand. The font came in at size 15. I changed it to 12 which made things better for me. Any smaller and it was very difficult to see.

Oh thanks!!

I have done some tests, and find for myself that these values are more natural:

font_properties = {"DejaVuLGCSans.ttf", 5, 0, 0, 0}

But you have to change alls alignments to CenterTop :thumbup:, dot is now more smalls and keep it in center. Thanks a lot GTFreeFlayer. :thumbup::thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hotas TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder | Oculus Rift | MSI Z97 Gaming 3| i5-4690K oc 4.5Ghz | 16Gb ddr3 | GTX 1080 Ti | W10 64Bits

Is it possible, to have the dot on the plane itself and maybe the aircraft type as before on lower distance? (WIth the dot and small pixels of the plane itself its hard to see sometimes, what type of aircraft it is)

I tried to play around in the LUA with a bit copy / paste also from the original file with the lower values, but somehow my aircraft names dissapeared completly?

1000 flights, 1000 crashes - perfect record

Is it possible, to have the dot on the plane itself and maybe the aircraft type as before on lower distance? (WIth the dot and small pixels of the plane itself its hard to see sometimes, what type of aircraft it is)

I tried to play around in the LUA with a bit copy / paste also from the original file with the lower values, but somehow my aircraft names dissapeared completly?

I don’t think so. The label is simply some text that you choose what to type and where to place it. I don’t think you can do two texts or two locations.

Look at the very bottom (I think) of the LUA file. It shows the format of the text in order to get what you want. I’m not looking at it now, but for example it will be something like %N%D, which would display name and distance. The comments in the LUA file explain this and also gives examples.

• 1 month later...