DCS: Mi-24P - What we know + Discussion

MrDieing

We are getting Mi-24P, with fixed, twin barrel GSh-30K cannon on starboard side. I think there is no such thing like "modification" of existing modification, in our case Mi-24P, so it can carry something else. So, no for this. I even can asure you that every single Mi-24P (and it's derivatives, like Mi-24PN and Mi-24PK-2) that flies around the globe can carry only 250 rounds for it's cannon.

Yes, you are right, most of the time they (at least our Azeri Mi-24Ps) carry half or even less ammo. For example sometimes they load only 40 rounds (40 CARL!) when they practise at firing range. Currenlty I can't find the needed documentation, but if you check even russian article about Mi-24 on wiki, you'll find 250 rounds for GSh-30K

I guess I just haven't seen throughout all of my sources 250 rounds for the GSh-30-2K. I have seen for the Su-25 the GSh-30-2 that it carries 250 rounds of ammunition. I just have always seen 750 round capacity for the Mi-24P. I am sure Belsimtek has better documentation to determine what the true ammo capacity for this beautiful beast is.

I guess I just haven't seen throughout all of my sources 250 rounds for the GSh-30-2K. I have seen for the Su-25 the GSh-30-2 that it carries 250 rounds of ammunition. I just have always seen 750 round capacity for the Mi-24P. I am sure Belsimtek has better documentation to determine what the true ammo capacity for this beautiful beast is.

It's 250, just believe me. Right now I don't have documentation to prove it. But it's 100% correct info.

So what is the role of the gunner on the Mi-24/P with a fixed cannon?

Guidance of "Shturm-V" ATGMs mostly. But he can do almost everything that pilot does.

Acer Aspire E5-571G-713W/Intel® Core™ i7-4510U 2.0-3.1GHz/12 GB DDR3 L Memo/NVIDIA® GeForce® 820M 2 GB/1000 GB HDD

It's 250, just believe me. Right now I don't have documentation to prove it. But it's 100% correct info.

Guidance of "Shturm-V" ATGMs mostly. But he can do almost everything that pilot does.

When I sat in a Mi-24D co-pilot cockpit recently, I saw that although he has cyclic and collective, there are no pedals for the copilot!

Good luck if the Commander Pilot gets hit....

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

When I sat in a Mi-24D co-pilot cockpit recently, I saw that although he has cyclic and collective, there are no pedals for the copilot!

Good luck if the Commander Pilot gets hit....

:D Actually there are pedals. Can you imagine helicopter without pedals? Even if it's operator's cockpit.

I3sunT_IkRI.jpg

Here they are :) You can fold them in, so they won't disturb you during flight. There is a red handle under the collective, push the handle and press the pedals to the sides, and voila! they are folded in. BTW, Slovak Air Force Mi-24D shown in photo.

Acer Aspire E5-571G-713W/Intel® Core™ i7-4510U 2.0-3.1GHz/12 GB DDR3 L Memo/NVIDIA® GeForce® 820M 2 GB/1000 GB HDD

:D Actually there are pedals. Can you imagine helicopter without pedals? Even if it's operator's cockpit.

I3sunT_IkRI.jpg

Here they are :) You can fold them in, so they won't disturb you during flight. There is a red handle under the collective, push the handle and press the pedals to the sides, and voila! they are folded in. BTW, Slovak Air Force Mi-24D shown in photo.

I bow to your greater knowledge! I did wonder.... :doh:

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

I bow to your greater knowledge! I did wonder.... :doh:

:D Don't do that, we are all aviation enthusiasts gathered together, and I'm really happy that I can share my knowledge with everyone here :) So, not a big deal. BTW, it's really hard to press the pedals to the sides ) I couldn't do it from first try :lol:

feels like a cop-out

IIRC the devs said they talked to real Hind pilots a while back and those guys preferred the P because the chin gun wasn't that effective IRL. So no cop-out.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Indeed. I think even the Russians themselves kinda admitted that the turret was incredibly inreliable. Also, the 12.7 mm doesnt really pack the punch that the 30mm cannon does, so it would only limit the things you could do with the chopper.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Indeed. I think even the Russians themselves kinda admitted that the turret was incredibly inreliable. Also, the 12.7 mm doesnt really pack the punch that the 30mm cannon does, so it would only limit the things you could do with the chopper.

It's probably also why the newer versions with chin turrets are packing dual 23mm cannons instead of the 12.7 rotary.

I'm rather torn, because as cool as having an articuable 12.7mm Chin gun, I am happy in a way we are getting the higher caliber fixed cannon. The 12.7mm is no slouch, I've had a few slung my way unfortunately, but at the same time it's not suited to destroying vehicles. My only concern with the fixed cannon is stability and targeting ability of the MI-24. Is the sight system for the weapon somewhat advanced? How hard is it to put one of those 250 rounds on target?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

I'm rather torn, because as cool as having an articuable 12.7mm Chin gun, I am happy in a way we are getting the higher caliber fixed cannon. The 12.7mm is no slouch, I've had a few slung my way unfortunately, but at the same time it's not suited to destroying vehicles. My only concern with the fixed cannon is stability and targeting ability of the MI-24. Is the sight system for the weapon somewhat advanced? How hard is it to put one of those 250 rounds on target?

Basing on the fact that the gun is fixed, I can imagine its not so hard for the Russians to make a sight that tells exactly were the gun is going to impact, but I could be wrong...

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

[ATTACH]170520[/ATTACH]

Just wanted to confirm what you had stated. I found a great source: https://www.amazon.com/Mil-Mi-24-Hind-Attack-Helicopter/dp/1840372389

:doh: How I could forget about that book :lol: Thanks for the confirmation!

Basing on the fact that the gun is fixed, I can imagine its not so hard for the Russians to make a sight that tells exactly were the gun is going to impact, but I could be wrong...
I'll have to read up on what sight system the aircraft used. I am pretty sure we can't expect anything as nice as the CCIP gun sight of the KA-50, but I'm curious as to how close we will get.

The pilot's sight on the P (and the V) is the ASP-17V, similar to the ASP-17 of the vanilla Su-25. There is no laser rangefinder though, so AFAIK slant ranges will be triangulated from altitude and dive angle - good enough over flat terrain, useless in the mountains - or inputed manually.

The pilot's sight on the P (and the V) is the ASP-17V, similar to the ASP-17 of the vanilla Su-25. There is no laser rangefinder though, so AFAIK slant ranges will be triangulated from altitude and dive angle - good enough over flat terrain, useless in the mountains - or inputed manually.

1774277599_ScreenShot2017-10-11at11_23_45AM.png.d8a5e2df73f5d0054f2fdbd112161776.png

Some Mi-24Ps did have laser range finders to increase accuracy.

Not being to well informed about the Mi24 can anyone tell me which model this is?

RCRCac3.jpg

Dz0FfuB.jpg

N10ygyu.jpg

I was in one about 17 years ago but it had been heavily modified by BAE Systems to integrate it with NATO standard systems, it was more like sitting in the gunners position of an Apache rather than a Russian helicopter.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Not being to well informed about the Mi24 can anyone tell me which model this is?

That's an Mi-24V. The tell between it and the similar looking Mi-24D is the shape of the missile guidance pod under the nose.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"