Question for real life F-15 maintainers

mytai01

What is the high frequency buzzing noise I've heard Eagles make during some maintenance procedures? The engines are off...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

The sound of something else other than an engine running after engine shutdown.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

I'm not an Eagle guy but I think what you are trying to point out is the avionics cooling fans shutting off when the power from the generators shut's off. When engine RPM goes below a certain percentage the generators will stop delivering power to the aircraft systems. Shutting off fuel flow to the engines stops the combustion process but the engine is still spinning keeping the generators running until the engine spool's down enough that the generators will no longer deliver electricity to the aircraft systems to run things like avionics cooling fans.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I'm not an Eagle guy but I think what you are trying to point out is the avionics cooling fans shutting off when the power from the generators shut's off. When engine RPM goes below a certain percentage the generators will stop delivering power to the aircraft systems. Shutting off fuel flow to the engines stops the combustion process but the engine is still spinning keeping the generators running until the engine spool's down enough that the generators will no longer deliver electricity to the aircraft systems to run things like avionics cooling fans.

Well, I want that in my DCS Eagle and any other aircraft with a similar setup...;)

Auxiliary Power Units (APU). Once the engines are shut down, the Auxiliary Power Units disconnect from the electrical busses and that's when the APU winds (whines) down.

Source

I assume these APU are not like the kind airliners have and you're not meaning the JFS, right?

Edited by mytai01

I think we should wait for someone that has actually work on the F-15.

The F-15 does not have an APU, it has a JFS which is only used for the start and AFAIK, has nothing to do with the shutdown procedures. It could be the sound of the AMADS spooling down but I do not know since my experience on the F-15 is very limited.

Of all the things the FC3 F-15 could use, why bother with something so trivial?

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The F-15 does not have an APU, it has a JFS which is only used for the start and AFAIK, has nothing to do with the shutdown procedures. It could be the sound of the AMADS spooling down but I do not know since my experience on the F-15 is very limited.

What do you want to see?

If you are referring to just after engine shut-down, then the sound you hear is the emergency generator that comes on-line when the generators go off-line. The emergency generator is driven by hydraulic power and there is enough hydraulic pressure to drive it until the engines spool down.

Eagle Keeper for 12 years. McDonnell Douglas and Boeing for 7 years.

• Like 2

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

What do you want to see?

- Completely modeled cockpit with working switches and ability to do all require procedures to run the radar or proper engine start, etc.

- Fully modeled systems.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Thanks for the info kdrum! :thumbup:

Always great to see so many knowledgeable folks around here.

U R Welcome.

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

- Completely modeled cockpit with working switches and ability to do all require procedures to run the radar or proper engine start, etc.

- Fully modeled systems.

+1

- Fully modeled systems.

+1

It almost brings a tear to my eye that nearly all the switches, buttons, connectors, arguments, etc. exist but are linked to nothing.

Even if it's not full fidelity couldn't at least the main comm panel be used for radio

Or the MPCD contrast/brightness toggles

Maybe someday...:cry:

• 1 month later...

I was a F-15 engine guy for 4.5 years

But yes, the F-15 has JFS for starting only, no APU or even battery power. If we needed power, we always used a -60.

Alienware 17 R3: Intel i7 6820HK @ 4 GHz, 16 GB DDR4, GTX 980M, 1TB Samsung NVMe 951 SSD, AW Graphics Amplifier w/ GTX 1080, TM HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Monstertech, MFG Crosswind, Jetseat KW-908

I was a F-15 engine guy for 4.5 years

But yes, the F-15 has JFS for starting only, no APU or even battery power. If we needed power, we always used a -60.

Do you remember "Limited Duty Mode"? or am I showing my age.

- Fully modeled systems.

++1

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do you remember "Limited Duty Mode"? or am I showing my age.

Don’t believe I’ve ever heard of that, lol

Alienware 17 R3: Intel i7 6820HK @ 4 GHz, 16 GB DDR4, GTX 980M, 1TB Samsung NVMe 951 SSD, AW Graphics Amplifier w/ GTX 1080, TM HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Monstertech, MFG Crosswind, Jetseat KW-908

++1

+1

A month ago Belsimtek posted this on reddit

If you mean F-15C ASM then we can say that currently it is not on our plate. Currently we are helping ED with F/A-18C. And our current projects are F-4E, Mi-24 and NS-430.. If we will get back to F-15 later we will make community aware of that for sure.

Fingers crossed...