NAVFLIR Demonstration

Jabbers_

Great video.

Just a question: in a previous a video

and this

the DCS AV-8B NA didn't have a low speed/low height landing gear horn warning.

Does the AV-8B NA not have a gear warning in RL, like the GR7

or is it a known WIP feature to be added later ?

Edit: Seems it's a missing "Bitching Betty" feature?

... GPWS provides warnings of potentially unsafe maneuvering flight conditions, such as excessive bank angles, excessive sink rates, gear--up landings, floor altitude violations, limited protection against flight into rising terrain, diving flight depending on flight stages that include takeoff, cruise, or landing, and Altitude Loss During Recovery (ALDR).

GPWS voice warnings are: ROLL OUT, CHECK GEAR, PULL UP, and POWER.

When a potential gear up landing condition exists (greater than 60 seconds after takeoff, gear up, altitude less than 150 feet above ground level (AGL), airspeed less than 200 KCAS, and rate--of--descent greater than 250 FPM), the CHECKGEAR warning is heard once every 8 seconds but the visual recovery cue does not appear.

Ref: NATOPS Flight Manual AV-8B, 23 April 2007, AV-8B-000.pdf, 2-113 (Page 191 in the pdf)

Edited by Ramsay
Found relevant section in AV-8B Flight Manual

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Awesome! Is the LHD in your build? Maybe a video of it?

I don't recall seeing it, i didn't look really hard though. However, my build is Nevada, so I can't really place boats anyway. Hence why I havent looked very hard ;)

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

How much more difficult is it to hover at night, not being able to see the windvane on the nose of the plane?

I read that you have to keep the nose pointed into the wind for the best stability, but it doesn't look like you can see it at all.

I use the symbology on the HUD, not the wind vain, also no wind in the mission i made. I should start adding some for difficulty sake.

Edited by Jabbers_

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

How much more difficult is it to hover at night, not being able to see the windvane on the nose of the plane?

I read that you have to keep the nose pointed into the wind for the best stability, but it doesn't look like you can see it at all.

Wind vane has a light tube that shows were it is pointing at.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Jabbers;

..... now you are just showing off re your landings...... ;-)

..... try landing w/o gear from the hover, curious if you can feather the ship down and T/O

keep up the great work!

TiGGs

Deadlines..... I love the sound when they go whooshing by.....

Windows 10 Pro w WARTHOG HOTAS and Crosswinds MFG Pedals;

i7 9700 @ 3.8GHz, Asus, 16 GB RAM; NVidia GTX 2070 GDDR5x VRam11Gb; 500Gb SSD; Oculus Rift S and a partridge in a pear tree :punk:

Jabbers;

..... now you are just showing off re your landings...... ;-)

..... try landing w/o gear from the hover, curious if you can feather the ship down and T/O

keep up the great work!

TiGGs

Ive landed without my gear many times now... its kind of my thing lol

How does the darkness look in VR for the AV-8B? Were there cockpit improvements for the deferred lighting? Right now the A-10C is horrible.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

How does the darkness look in VR for the AV-8B? Were there cockpit improvements for the deferred lighting? Right now the A-10C is horrible.

It looks great at night, but I also dont have an issue with the A-10C, or at least, not sure what issue you have.

And another question related to the Navflir.. Is planned to adjust it to the reality and the actual one is a placeholder ? Or the plans are to leave like at is now ?

I mean, now is like a tgp image exported directed over the hud, totally rectangular, on black & white and with a high resolution image quality.. when it should look ( IMHO) more like this image.

800px-F-15E_LANTIRN_IR_HUD_image.jpg

It's already been mentioned that there is a texture limitation on ED's side that means it will be stuck as black & white for now. As for the rectangularness of it or not IDK.

I think the picture above is from an F-15E anyway. Here is a vid of it in a Harrier:

Edit: It also seems to flip over into FLIR at about 1:35? Anyone more knowledgeable on the NAVFLIR system... is there a normal NV mode that can be overlayed on the HUD too or is that just a change in intensity or weirdness with the camera?

• Like 1

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Thanks for the video mate, I haven't seen it before. I knew that my pic was from a F-15, but thought they should be similar..

Any idea if they are going to simulate this behavior with the Flir and NV projected that way into the hud ? Should be great for VR.. or even Track ir.. The color is the less important, there are mods that change colors in other modules so I don't care for now. I only need to know if actually is a placeholder on the Harrier and is going to simulate in the right way.

I'm sure it's similar in the strike eagle. IIRC it uses LANTIRN though.

Well a mod can't fix the color since there is a texture issue with the green that will limit the functionality. I'm sure RAZBAM will do what they can to try and simulate the system as best as possible within what DCS allows them to do. Only the devs can really answer that question though.

• Like 1

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I am a bit worried about NAVFLIR visuals in VR. This is a kind of that thing that takes forever to be implemented.. I hope that it is supported right from get go..

It looks great in VR