Trimming the SU-25T

Compared to the basic FM planes this thing needs bucket loads of trim, but that’s okay, because trimming is free and legal!

Can someone tell me the meaning of the 3 trim lights (green) in the bottom centre of the cockpits [below].

I noticed them last night. Are they pitch, roll & rudder trim indicators?

picture.php?albumid=333&pictureid=2428

Edited by coolts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Yep, they are. They light up whenever the trim for that axis is in its neutral position.

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

Compared to the basic FM planes this thing needs bucket loads of trim, but that’s okay, because trimming is free and legal!

Can someone tell me the meaning of the 3 trim lights (green) in the bottom centre of the cockpits [below].

I noticed them last night. Are they pitch, roll & rudder trim indicators?

picture.php?albumid=333&pictureid=2428

your trimmed and stable.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I think he replied to GF_Mastiff, unless you believe he read your post AND typed his response AND managed to press the post button in less than 60 seconds. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Actually I've responded to GF Mastiff's post.

ah ok

I always see them come on when i trim,

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Trim in the SU25T

My key mapping to reset the trimmers is Ctrl T, but I do not notice the trim light indicators returning to Green when I press Ctrl T.

Is there some magic to getting the Trim to Reset in this aircraft?

Velocity MicroI7-4790 Windows 7 Home Premium 16Gigs RAM EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1070 500GB SSD TM Hotas Warthog

My key mapping to reset the trimmers is Ctrl T, but I do not notice the trim light indicators returning to Green when I press Ctrl T.

Is there some magic to getting the Trim to Reset in this aircraft?

Trim reset doesn't work in SU-25 but you can use level autopilot(alt-3) to get it in stable trim.

Heres nice tutorial for it:

http://lockon-greece.forumotion.net/forum-f8/topic-t52.htm

• Like 1

aka [82nd]Ike

Gaaa! Ive been battling with my HOTAS for the last half hour trying to get the trim reset to work on this!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Do yourself a Favour and Map the 'Emergency Levelling Mode' to your HOTAS [Alt-3].

Trims the Toad for the specific Flight Parameters at time of Engaging Mode. Useful as a Sort of 'Quick-Trim' function.

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

<Viper> does that alter the trim? I've been fighting the SU-25T instant action scenario for days now and am flailing about all over the place after a fire any ordnance.

If I trim to attempt to stabilize after firing an IR missile, (the weight imbalance immediately sends the wings over), then hit "emergency levelling", then need to shallow dive to strafe, (therefore cancel "emergency levelling"), will my previous trim send me out of control again?

My ham fisted fix to this ATM is to simply fire two A-A missiles at a time to maintain balance. A waste of Roubles!

I guess I am asking whether to avoid aileron trim if using "emergency levelling mode"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From Greek lomac website (admin "sisifos")

Cheers Ike4fin for pointing me at this one.

"There's 6 new Auto-pilot modes for the Su-25T.

The plane does auto-pilot by trimming itself with trim tabs to match the mode

required. On exiting most auto-pilot modes, the trimming is bound to be incorrect

and

you'll flop about. In the other planes you could cancel trim with Ctrl-T.

But for the Su-25T, you can get the correct trimming by choosing

the Emergency leveling mode(ALT-3), which puts you level and

straight, and then exiting auto-pilot altogether with ALT-9 or A.Overall,

when you use auto-pilot once, you have to use it forever more."

That clears that up. I need to map some more autopilot modes to the stick. :joystick:

Edited by coolts
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

<Viper> does that alter the trim? I've been fighting the SU-25T instant action scenario for days now and am flailing about all over the place after a fire any ordnance.

If I trim to attempt to stabilize after firing an IR missile, (the weight imbalance immediately sends the wings over), then hit "emergency levelling", then need to shallow dive to strafe, (therefore cancel "emergency levelling"), will my previous trim send me out of control again?

My ham fisted fix to this ATM is to simply fire two A-A missiles at a time to maintain balance. A waste of Roubles!

I guess I am asking whether to avoid aileron trim if using "emergency levelling mode"

If you know what side the missle/bomb is leaving from then you move the stick then trim...

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

I'm just wondering whether, as the autopilots in the SU-25T essentially set the trim for themselves, maybe it’s best to go one way or the other.

Either trim or autopilot.

After all with 6 or whatever autopilot modes you have essentially got macros to any trimming you would ever want

· hold attitude

· fly level

· hold bank

· hold alt baro

· hold alt radar

· cancel autopilot (and trim?)

…. and to manually trim as well will just confuse things leading to more problems as there isn’t a reset trim option

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well not really. How are you going to trim it for a descent or a climb if you are relying on the autopilot?

Just use them both together. As soon as you switch the autopilot off you'll know what sort of a "state" the aircraft is in, because you can let go of the stick etc etc. You really only need to trim to take the load of the stick, so that you can be hands off if you need to be.

Sure if you start putting the autopilot on when you are in extreme manoeuvres this will potentially cause you problems.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

coolts - Just a quick query:

Apologies if you have this covered, but ensure you have your Control (Pitch/Roll) Axis Inputs set to Linear. Transforms the Toad from a Hippopotamus to a Gazelle :D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

What Viper said .... I had some curve in my axis inputs at first but the linear setting is the way to go.

Once the emergency level has stabalized you just turn it off again (kind of like a trim reset), it will not be perfect but I find it very close to trimmed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog