AI Gunnery Update

Exorcet

I decided to start testing the new AI gun performance. There will be a lot of variables to look at, but I'm glad to say that the difference seems to be apparent pretty quickly.

My first test involved the MiG-15. I flew against it on Excellent and Average skill.

Excellent seems to be overtuned still, with godlike reflexes and accuracy. The first thing that happened in the fight was that my flap was shot off by a single cannon round.

Average was quite different. The AI actually ran itself out of ammo without killing me even as I only took a gentle turn. I'd say average is a bit undertuned as the gunnery at this level, at first glance, seems to be Stormtrooper level.

It's a good change to see and I hope to see improvements with further patches.

AIguntest_Average is average skill

Aiguntest is the excellent track

AIguntest_Average.trk

AIguntest.trk

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Huh, interesting.

I flew the quick mission MiG-15 (me) vs 2xF-86es on PG. They should be on excellent. What I found was that they indeed flew more like players and were trying different stuff. It felt like a PvP battle for sure, as in it took forever, like it would in MiG-15 vs F-86 scenario.

A lot of the time they just didn't shoot tho. Opposite of what you were saying. I could see them perfectly lined up, but they would not take the shot.

I would recommend they try to take some chancy shots, for example in scissors, where they can try to pre-fire you as you cross your paths, that would be great.

They also have to try to work better as a team. Old AI actually excelled at that a bit more.

Here is a lengthy track:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GS7X83UFUsSP1WUMjnxVO-LswpsBbIdq

(was 5.30MB and the limit is 5MB)

My MiG-15 got hit by a total of twenty 50 cals and it had no visible damage on its model... that's just a MiG-15 thing tho

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Just to clarify my first post was only very quick initial impressions. I essentially flew long enough to make those tracks, the goal of which was to isolate AI aiming from anything else.

I've had a little more time to mess with the AI and I did notice what seemed to be more human like behavior in a few situations. I'm going to have to test a lot to form a final conclusion though.

The average AI track I made showed the long aim time that you were referring to. Eventually it sprayed all its rounds around me, but before it did it took a long, long time to line up. I saw something similar with the F-15 AI today, this time on Excellent. I let it get behind me, but there was a delay before it fired. I wonder if range to target is playing a role there.

EDIT

One thing that may need to be looked at, the AI will willingly ram you if close enough. They should have some form of collision avoidance.

Edited by Exorcet

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files