Computer shutdown while using DCS

Hello,

I've recently updated my PC (actually everything is new except for flight peripherals) and when I play DCS World the computer suddenly reboots often. It's like a full shutdown, when I press the reset/restart button of my PC, the fans, RGBS, still running and it reboots. But when in DCS World, it full stops everything and restart after 1-2 seconds of full shutdown.

I know it's not a temperatures problem because I run perfectly fine any other game, even with a stress test the CPU and GPU doesn't go too high, CPU on 75ºC max and GPU on 70ºC max. And also it happens when I start a mission and I'm doing the cold start (let's say 1 minute after starting DCS, so no heat in the components).

My PC components are:

i7-8700K + Scyte Mugen Rev. B

MSI RTX 2070 Gaming 8GB

MSI Z370-A PRO

CORSAIR DDR4 32GB 2X16GB 3000 VENGEANCE RGB PRO BL

CORSAIR CX750M 80+Bronze

240GB + 2TB SSD

TM HOTAS Cougar

Track IR 5

TM Rudder Pedals

I know it has to be something related to DCS because it only happens when using DCS. Runs perfectly fine in every other situation. Also tried to check the integrity files with no luck. Updated every drivers, with no luck.

Please, could someone help me? It's really frustrating because I bought this new PC to run DCS decently and I can't even stay few minutes in it.

Many thanks in advance

Did you take a look at the Windows Event Viewer?

I also advise you disable the automatic restart option to view error messages. Errors might occur but not display with Automatic restart enabled. Disable this option to allow the computer to display error messages instead of restarting.

1. In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.
  2. Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section.
  3. Remove the check mark next to Automatically restart, and then click OK.

Whenever I had this it was a NV driver that my GPU for whatever reason didnt like.

If you cant find another culprit, try an older or a newer ( beta ) driver for your GPU.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'll second what Bitmaster said, nividia driver may seem to install OK and issue may only happen in DCS, still it can be driver (I even had 1 issue -CTD- in 1 DCS mission at 1 specific moment, all the rest was good… it was the driver) - DCS and graphic (nvidia) driver seem to be a bit chaotic pair (in my experience driver "bad" install is source of FLIR "Bubble" issue with DCS) .

BUT : your issue remind me similar thread (exact same symptom), and it turned out to be the power supply (a good corsair HX750 3.5 years old). So maybe do what the user did : open RMA contact with corsair, describing the issue, they will send you another unit.

And yes I understand your PSU runs EVERYTHING nicely but DCS … still I won't be surprised that PSU is the issue

The thread : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218727&highlight=sudden+reboot

Thank you so much for your help guys.

I was re-downloading DCS from scratch, and meanwhile I was lightly surfing, the PC REBOOTED itself again.

So, IT IS NOT a problem with DCS (at least DCS was the only way to trigger it, until now).

I'm thinking on the PSU as @toutenglisse pointed out, so I will try to get an RMA.

Thanks again and I'll come back if I can get the issue solved.

Did you clock down the CPU? Clock down the RAM? Reseat and clean the RAM stick? Reseat and clean the GPU? I mean, your homework before to RMA?

Random reboot is not always the PSU.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f25/solved-random-reboots-on-my-pc-805305-9.html

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/computer-keeps-restarting-on-its-own-already-changed-psu.3064200/

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

Thanks so much guys for your help.

I've been doing some tests and I have found how to reproduce the problem.

I had to make a clean OS installation as in one of these reboots the OS was damaged. So now I have a clean install, just OS and drivers.

I run the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, and do a quick benchmark (not the stress test). When I launch the benchmark, it reboots.

I've recorded the shutdown/reboot, you can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZNK8ViMeqE&feature=youtu.be

I've found that if I run with one stick of RAM only, it runs fine. I've tested both so doesn't seem that one is damaged. I can launch the benchmark multiples times and it runs perfect.

I tried to change the RAM slots (originally 2-4, I've moved the RAM to 1-3 positions). Then I can run the benchmark fine, 3, 4, 5, 6 times without problem. But one hour later, I try to run it again and it reboots.

I've switched off the XMP Profile (memories slowed down from 3000Mhz, 1.35v to 2133Mhz, 1'2v) and it happens the same: I can run the benchmark fine, 3, 4, 5, 6 times. I wait one hour, and when launching the benchmark it reboots again.

I can not understand how making those changes in the RAM it is working fine and some time later it fails again.

It's not a temperatures problem as it barely goes over 50ºC on this bench.

I don't think it's a PSU fail because the GPU has no load on this bench.

I can only imagine that somehow the motherboard can not provide enough power when both sticks of RAM installed.

I would like to try to increase the voltage of the RAM sticks but I don't know which value I would need or if it's safe.

The PC has no overclock at all, BIOS is updated and all options are in auto.

Any other idea before replacing the motherboard?

I'd try to RMA the board. Seems like the VRM's for the RAM slots is faulty.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'm surprized that the 80+bronze PSU is out of suspicion because GPU was not stressed during a benchmark & crash … and also considering all the long and unusefull tests messing with all parts that the other user did in the other thread, ending with PSU being the culprit ?

Considering the rating of the PSU and the other user's experience, my first move would be to RMA the PSU, or even get a better rated PSU in the process (80+gold at least, considering the "high end rig" of OP, but I've a noob's opinion).

Also, as BIGNEWY said, maybe post a dcs.log from 1 DCS crash, maybe clues are written in it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again guys,

I just wanted to say thank for your support,

Finally I found that the PSU was the culprit, after replace it by the exact same model it didn't failed again.

@toutenglisse, you were absolutely right, thanks.

Just saying for anyone that could suffer this problem or similar.

Thanks!

If its shutting down during other titles also then it can be a PC related issue. If its shutting down with DCS only then there is some issue with DCS.

Sudden shut down happens due to overheating component. GPU, CPU and RAM. Monitor the temperatures closely.

EDIT : Good that u found the solution.

either 1 of your sticks is faulty :: Try each one ALONE with and w/o XMP to see which

OR

your Motherboard is faulty if any of the sticks reproduces an error

could still also be your PSU if it happens after 1h running. Could well be that it gets "funny" when it gets warm/hot

Test and see..report back

It's always the psu more timess than it's not. It's good to have a spare so you can swap out to eliminate the psu as a possibility.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

I don't think it's a PSU fail because the GPU has no load on this bench

Note: Random resets as nothing to do with the load to the PSU. It's happening randomly, you can't reproduce it. I mean... Pain in the :)

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

Weird I'm having a very similar problem. It started when I was getting my Hotas configured in Dcs for the F18c I just purchased, I was in the controls page when my screen all of a sudden went black, with a message on the screen No video output, pc is still on, the only thing I could do is a hard reboot(I hate doing that), once rebooted I updated the video card driver , things seemed fine, went back to Dcs but I had no sound, got out and the screen went black again, no video output. From the testing I could do, it's only when I got into Dcs that this would happen. Now the pc reboots all the time, no time to diagnose anything

A recent built with a 500w EVGA psu

Marc..

Edited by Marcq

:thumbup: sometimes we are just BLIND :music_whistling: