Viggen IFF

DarkStar79

What kind of IFF do you expect? It already has the simple IFF capability, so it will show up friendly or not on other radars. And what difference would it make? All you had to do is use a specified IFF Key when starting up the aircraft. After that it would make 0 difference for us.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quick question to verify we are on the same page OP: are you talking about the iff system on the side panel where you select the key etc which is controlling your own iff transponder so you can be identified by others

Or are you talking about a way to iff planes with your radar which is not possible due to the limited GROUNDradar?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

There actually has been a coded IFF-system in Viggen since before it was released. It was planned to be used with MiG-21 then when we where LNS. It was never integrated successfully in the MIG and the art-people hasn’t gotten around to animate the IFF-transponder yet so this feature in usage with AI has never been shown to anyone (even though it has worked without being visually there). Since then the feature has been removed since it first caused performance issues and then ED removed the parts of the SDK it relied on so it’s now dead. A very insignificant feature in Viggen if you ask me though :)

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

There actually has been a coded IFF-system in Viggen since before it was released. It was planned to be used with MiG-21 then when we where LNS. It was never integrated successfully in the MIG and the art-people hasn’t gotten around to animate the IFF-transponder yet so this feature in usage with AI has never been shown to anyone (even though it has worked without being visually there). Since then the feature has been removed since it first caused performance issues and then ED removed the parts of the SDK it relied on so it’s now dead. A very insignificant feature in Viggen if you ask me though :)

Boggles my mind how ED can simply neglect or dumb down IFF in all of their aircraft within a COMBAT simulator. This is 2019, we should have a working IFF infrastructure. It's really not that hard.

• Like 1

Cobra also mentioned that here a while ago:

When we developed the Viggen we actually developed a simple transponder based IFF challenge/reply system. The issue is that it's.. well, useless in the context of DCS because the only aircraft equipped with this level of detail would be the Viggen.

I believe we deactivated the code and the IFF panel buttons work but do not do anything.

It's really a shame that there is no use for this in DCS. I really hope this will change soon. Wags made some remarks that sounded like they might implement proper IFF functionality (transponders and such) soon, starting with the F-16.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The JF-17 is supposed to have fancy IFF too so maybe things will change for the better soon.

Yes, finally someone is actually doing that, although it will just work among JF-17s.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Cobra also mentioned that here a while ago:

It's really a shame that there is no use for this in DCS. I really hope this will change soon. Wags made some remarks that sounded like they might implement proper IFF functionality (transponders and such) soon, starting with the F-16.

at least his newest video shows IFF working in the F-16... its here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4077367&postcount=27

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

at least his newest video shows IFF working in the F-16... its here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4077367&postcount=27

That's just the interrogation, which every interrogater equipped aircraft in DCS already has. The problem is the missing transponder functionality.

Tornado3 small.jpg