nosewheel oversteers on touchdown & takeoff...

fitness88

The F/A-18 even with rudder curvatures tested as high as 40, which helps, the plane still oversteers on touchdown & takeoff. The nosewheel if turned slightly too much runs the plane off the runway.

There was only one other plane I found that had this issue and I had to disable nosewheel steering once I reached 50 kts. to maintain directional control.

Anyone have a solution for the F/A-18?

Thank you.

Consider disabling NWS past 70 knots or so, anticipate changes and use differential braking if you're about to go out of the runway.

Edited by Harker
updated, because I was contradicting myself...

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Consider disabling NWS past 70 knots or so and use differential braking.

As for differential braking, I find takeoff is more of an oversteer issue than landing. Is disabling NWS the procedure after xx/kts speed or is it just a fix for the F/A-18?

I know in modern commercial airlines it's done automatically.

I don't know if Hornet pilots disable NWS during the takeoff roll. I don't disable it at all, I use very small constant inputs. I also use differential braking if NWS isn't enough (during a bad takeoff roll), even during takeoff. It might increase the takeoff distance, but not much and minor braking inputs are enough to correct my course.

Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

I don't know if Hornet pilots disable NWS during the takeoff roll. I don't disable it at all, but I do switch to differential braking as needed, even during takeoff. It might increase the takeoff distance, but not much and minor braking inputs are enough to correct my course.

Do you mean enable anti-skid option?

Do you mean enable anti-skid option?
I mean use differential braking, as in apply a little bit of braking pressure to either the left or right wheel, if you need a larger controlled correction. Anti-Skid should be enabled if you're operating from an airfield and disabled on the carrier.
Edited by Harker

-

I mean use differential braking, as in apply a little bit of braking pressure to either the left or right wheel, as needed. Anti-Skid should be enabled if you're operating from an airfield and disabled on the carrier.

Got it thanks! I find the aircraft movement from left to right is too quick to be able to compensate using pedal braking.

It's not an aircraft deal breaker but I really need to focus alot when rolling out. Disabling NWS above 50kts. really helps but I feel it's not proper procedure so I don't want to.

Got it thanks! I find the aircraft movement from left to right is too quick to be able to compensate using pedal braking.

It's not an aircraft deal breaker but I really need to focus alot when rolling out. Disabling NWS above 50kts. really helps but I feel it's not proper procedure so I don't want to.

It takes some getting used to. It's worse in the Viper for me, but I suspect it'll get easier with time. A tip, if I may, don't wait until you have to react. I make very small corrections all the time during my takeoff roll with NWS and later with the brakes (if needed) and the rudder.

Don't correct the aircraft, correct your actions before you see their results. I almost constantly tap both the left and right brakes, in tiny amounts. If I have to turn left to stay on course, I'll simply add a little more "left" to my left-right taps.

You need to be a little more focused than on some other modules, but it'll become easy after a point. Also, you can avoid the runway altogether and go for some carrier ops.

Edited by Harker
I actually don't use the brakes as much as I thought I did

-

It takes some getting used to. It's worse in the Viper for me, but I suspect it'll get easier with time. A tip, if I may, don't wait until you have to react. I make very small corrections all the time during my takeoff roll, initially with NWS and later with the brakes and the rudder.

Don't correct the aircraft, correct your actions before you see their results. I almost constantly tap both the left and right brakes, in tiny amounts. If I have to turn left to stay on course, I'll simply add a little more "left" to my left-right taps.

You need to be a little more focused than on some other modules, but it'll become easy after a point. Also, you can avoid the runway altogether and go for some carrier ops.

So I see it's a general situation for everyone...

LOL...they're easy landings usually with case 1 and the take-off is a pleasurepilotfly.gif

Disconnecting NWS at 70 kts is standard procedure, not a work around, as far as I know. Once you're moving that fast the rudders have enough authority to make whatever steering corrections are required and you shouldn't need to touch the brakes except to reject T/O. On landing don't engage NWS until you've slowed down because as you've discovered a small input on the nosewheel gives a huge response at speed (as it should).

I'll use differential braking on landing to keep strait, but I've never done it on takeoff. Seems rather counterproductive to brake during the takeoff run.

In real I was taught to stop thinking of the plane as a ground vehicle you steer as soon as you power up for the takeoff run. This means that as the aircraft starts to pull to one side as you run down the runway you're not trying to "steer" it back on course so much as apply gentle pressure to get it back to strait. Basically never make hard control inputs, and focus on trying to counter a drift rather than make a correction.

I've never disconnected NWS at any point during T/O roll or landing. I didn't have to. NWS always felt controllable (in spite of wind effects being a tiddly bit exaggerated... at least it seemed that way to me before, not any more).

After the latest update NWS in combination with differential braking seems to be a little wobbly only at slow speed on runout. I start applying brakes at around 90 (most of the times). Steering and braking seems very solid and controllable until I slow down to around 40 or 30 kts the nose gets a little shifty and I have to work the pedals or breaks but it's not really that bad. Oh... brakes on T/O - no way.

BTW, I use old Saitek Pro pedals. They are beat up as hell and look cheap but they work good:)

Edited by Gripes323

It is very important both in landing and in take-off to lock the steering wheel, in many planes if you do not end up in a disaster. Try for example with an F 15 to take off without blocking the nose wheel or with a B 109, the tail wheel must be locked and to steer the aircraft the low-speed differential brakes and the high-speed tail rudder are sufficient. I could bring many examples, this explains that this locking or unlocking device is of primary importance. it was done for a good reason.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]My dream: DCS Tornado

This may be true for WW2 fighters but not at all for modern fighters.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

It is very important both in landing and in take-off to lock the steering wheel, in many planes if you do not end up in a disaster. Try for example with an F 15 to take off without blocking the nose wheel or with a B 109, the tail wheel must be locked and to steer the aircraft the low-speed differential brakes and the high-speed tail rudder are sufficient. I could bring many examples, this explains that this locking or unlocking device is of primary importance. it was done for a good reason.

With F/A-18 NSW, when not enabled for use, is it locked or free swivel? I know the F-15 NSW can be locked.

With F/A-18 NSW, when not enabled for use, is it locked or free swivel? I know the F-15 NSW can be locked.

Don't know any jet where the nose gear can be 'locked' and it wouldn't make any sense.

It can't be locked on the F-15 either. Normal range is 15deg, and the maneuvering range is 45deg.

On the F/A-18 it's 16deg and 75deg and you don't disengage the NWS during the take off run!

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

I found this information in the A1-F18AC-NFM-000 (page 330)and thought it might be helpful.

Nosewheel steering is used to

maintain directional control throughout the takeoff roll. Differential braking alone may not be

adequate to maintain directional control on takeoff. Also, the drag of the brakes increases the length

of the takeoff roll.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Perhaps the issue is simply that the NWS on TO & landing is not modeled properly...it certainly works well enough to taxi & park.

R U sure that you are using the correct gain? Parking (tight turns) with the NWS at the standard (low) 16deg setting is next to impossible.

I don't have any problems with the NWS.

Edited by bbrz

R U sure that you are using the correct gain? Parking (tight turns) with the NWS at the standard (low) 16deg setting is next to impossible.

I don't have any problems with the NWS.

I don't have any problems with NWS either...for parking and taxing, I'll engage the HI steering when needed, when not needed I use standard low steering...all is good with steering.

The issue I was referring to was at speeds over 80 kts it's hard to keep the plane from going like this down the runway~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.

If the NWS turns 1 degree to correct drift, this back and forth oscillation occurs~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.

As IRL, very little steering input at higher speeds and anticipation is necessary to avoid chasing the centerline like a drunken camel.

Rather a too small input, wait and repeat, instead of applying a too big correction.