Power Problem - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #21
bbrz

It looks like you are mixing up GS and IAS. As Yurgon wrote. IAS is the same, regardless of density altitude, headwind etc.

At higher (density) altitude the take off run is longer due to the lower engine performance and due to the higher GS, but IAS will still be the same.
If you e.g. check the A-10 performance tables you will see that the take off speed (IAS) depends only on weight.

I don't know why the nosewheel should be 'glued' to the runway when extending the ground roll. It'S usually the opposite. The higher the speed, the more the aircraft tends to unstick on its own.

If you rotate early, the wing doesn't stall. Why should it? Stall depends only on AoA. If you rotate e.g. to 10deg at 80kts or 180kts, it doesn't make any difference concerning stall.

You should re-read stick and rudder

Last edited by bbrz; 09-22-2019 at 09:25 AM.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #22
DefineHuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
I don't know why the nosewheel should be 'glued' to the runway when extending the ground roll. It'S usually the opposite. The higher the speed, the more the aircraft tends to unstick on its own.
That's true for a plane like the TF-51. For the A-10, extending the roll past Vr certainly does create a 'sticking' effect. Look at the angle created by a wing's camber with weight on wheels. Compound it with a slight variation in height between the main and nose gear, a forward CoG, or with any kind of leading edge flaps, and an effect is created where the trailing air moves upwards prior to rotation. I'm assuming you're thinking of a ground roll in terms of a straight wing that's parallel to the ground, and therefore during the roll is moving air horizontally until capable of generating the elevator pressure to increase the AoA. That's not the case.

Quote:

You should re-read stick and rudder
you should reread my post lol. it starts off with "No I did not mean GS".

Oh and as for the other stuff, you're speaking in part truths. High density altitudes do affect engine performance, but thrust isn't the only part of that problem. Stalls are governed by AoA, but there is a broader link between the elements I mentioned and AoA. Increasing pitch at low speed absolutely affects AoA and drag adversely affects thrust, like I don't know how you'd even attempt to argue the opposite.

Last edited by DefineHuman; 09-22-2019 at 10:55 AM.
DefineHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #23
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefineHuman View Post
1....an effect is created where the trailing air moves upwards prior to rotation. I'm assuming you're thinking of a ground roll in terms of a straight wing that's parallel to the ground, and therefore during the roll is moving air horizontally until capable of generating the elevator pressure to increase the AoA. That's not the case.

2. Increasing pitch at low speed absolutely affects AoA and drag adversely affects thrust.
1. Very weird theories and you are disregarding the most important item, trim. The higher the speed, the bigger the nose up moment (with correct takeoff trim).
Since a wing creates a downwash, when or how does the air move upwards instead?

2. Pitch affects AoA? How? And how does drag affect engine performance (thrust)? Not able to follow these 'theories'.

Last edited by bbrz; 09-22-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #24
DefineHuman

Am I being trolled here? lol I'm relatively new on the forum so I dunno what this is.

Just in case you're sincere,

Also drag is a force that acts opposite to thrust. This is going to get frustrating for me so I'll stop here.
DefineHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #25
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefineHuman View Post
Am I being trolled here? This is going to get frustrating for me so I'll stop here.
Way too much incomprehensible nonsene. Glad that you stopped here. I'm out as well.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #26
eaglecash867

Or, it could just be that his brake pedal calibration got borked, which he figured out, fixed, and posted about two pages ago.
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1.
eaglecash867 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:31 PM   #27
=Panther=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey11 View Post
There must have been an update somewhere in either windows, or something else. I had the same problem and had to reset my T-Flight pedals to default in Windows to get them to STOP dragging.
Don’t use windows calibration for the TM devices, it doesn’t work very well. The devices are plug-n-play, no calibration required.

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Twitch Channel
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC
=Panther= is online now   Reply With Quote