DCS-BIOS F/A-18C library. Get it here!

I'm using a rotary encoder for the UFC channel selector, mainly because it also has a nice momentary button function as well. It does work, however only in one direction, it either INC only or DEC only. I've also performed a test using the browser interactive plugin and i'm seeing the same result.

You weren't doing anything wrong, my definition was wrong for those controls. Please grab v0.8 and all will be well. Please check the control reference as the command for your sketch will likely have changed.

Thanks for sharing your photos of the UFC, reminds me that I need to get another spool of black filament so I can print mine!

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Andrew,

I'll continue testing tomorrow as I seem to have developed the same issue as TechRoss a few post ago, where I can't seem to initiate a comms connection.

If I use a control it records what has been done in the command window, but as there is no active connection does nothing. The live browser plugin confirms this as well.

Funny thing is, even going back to the original version, is having the same issue. Putting down to me and the machine being tired, so maybe a rest will create some magic tomorrow.

Thanks again for the great F-18 addition to this fantastic software.

Cheers

MSI Z170X-Gaming 5, Intel 6700K, 32G RAM, RTX2080ti, Samsung SSD gaming drive, Samsung SSD System drive, RIFT CV1, TM Warthog Hotas, TPR peddles, Gamtrix Jetseat

Hi Andrew

I found the problem.

In your BIOS.lua you have the following line...

dofile(lfs.writedir()..[[scripts\dcs-bios\lib\AV8BNA.lua]])

If I have this line, DCS will not communicate with the serial monitor. I do not have the Harrier and I assume the other guys having the problem do not either. You are not able to duplicate the error because again I assume you have the Harrier.

Removing this line from the BIOS.lua solved my problem.

Your version 0.8 works a treat and all my switches so far are working 100%.

Once again, without this work from you, DCS would not be the same experience for me.

I hope this fix can help somebody else.

Nice pickup TechRoss, fixed it for me as well; I do have the Harrier though. From what I can see its probably due to there not being any code written for the harrier to get exported, which could be causing the BIOS.lua to hang??

No expert, so i'm probably way of track.

MSI Z170X-Gaming 5, Intel 6700K, 32G RAM, RTX2080ti, Samsung SSD gaming drive, Samsung SSD System drive, RIFT CV1, TM Warthog Hotas, TPR peddles, Gamtrix Jetseat

Thanks guys well done, I will put up a fixed version 0.9 now.

I was working on an AV8 module but abandoned it due to lack of developer support ... then as you found forgot to remove the entry from the BIOS.lua

Glad to hear it is working for you again!

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Is f18c dcs bios code is "perfect" now?

I have a problem with an app using dcs bios and the F18C.

For all switch2pos I have tested, I need to push quickly to active the button. If not, it run like a "push" button.

I make 2 videos. One with the a10c how works perfectly and the 2nd with f18c.

A10C : (It works perfectly)

F18C : (must press quickly)

So, the problem comes from DCS bios, or the Stream Deck app?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Roger01

I'm just getting started working on all this.

I just saw this in the advanced section of the APU Panel:

DcsBios::LED apuControlSw(0x54b2, 0x4000, PIN);

What is that for, there is no LED light for the switch itself, right? It doesn't have anything to do with the state of the magnetically held part of the switch does it?

What is that for, there is no LED light for the switch itself, right? It doesn't have anything to do with the state of the magnetically held part of the switch does it?

Isn't that the green light the comes on when the APU is up and running? I would assume so.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Right, there is obviously a bit of confusion here.

The "Advanced" view is quite dangerous. If you use that code it will not work, that is a switch and a switch only.

Look at the "Basic" View and you can see that there is an APU switch, a ready light LED and an engine crank switch.

The Advanced View can be used to get code for say an input that was defined as a potentiometer and use it with a rotary instead, but not the way you are trying to use it.

Also, fyi, the F18 module does not currently export the state for the magnetically held switches like the A10C does, hopefully in a later build ...

apu.thumb.png.40600c85d0055eca17887c46f4febc26.png

Is f18c dcs bios code is "perfect" now?

I have a problem with an app using dcs bios and the F18C.

It's as perfect as it can be right now.

Sorry, I have never seen or used streamdeck, but I've tested with mechanical switches and buttons and it works fine.

edit: I did some testing ... the problem is with that specific button. I've coded it up as a push button, but it is actually a switch (if you look in the cockpit it latches "in" when you press it then pops back out when you press it again).

I'll do up a new version of the dcsbios module to reflect this, but not sure how that will effect your use with the streamdeck.

Edited by Bullant

Also, fyi, the F18 module does not currently export the state for the magnetically held switches like the A10C does, hopefully in a later build ...

Okay, becuase that is what I'm trying to do. I have a magnetically held switch. I saw that that was an output and thought maybe that's what it was for.

I have it working using code, but it's a bit cluedgy (sp?).

Another question if I may. The basic command for the fuel dump doesn't seem to work quite right. I'm having to toggle it on and off to turn it on then toggle it on and off again to turn it off.

I have in my code:

DcsBios::Switch2Pos fuelDumpSw("FUEL_DUMP_SW", PIN);

But it's acting like:

DcsBios::ActionButton fuelDumpSwToggle("FUEL_DUMP_SW", "TOGGLE", PIN);

Although I can see it sending FUEL_DUMP_SW 0 & 1 correctly

Edited by Rennes

Another question if I may. The basic command for the fuel dump doesn't seem to work quite right. I'm having to toggle it on and off to turn it on then toggle it on and off again to turn it off.

I have in my code:

DcsBios::Switch2Pos fuelDumpSw("FUEL_DUMP_SW", PIN);

But it's acting like:

DcsBios::ActionButton fuelDumpSwToggle("FUEL_DUMP_SW", "TOGGLE", PIN);

Although I can see it sending FUEL_DUMP_SW 0 & 1 correctly

Are you using a mechanical two position switch?

I just tried it with my test switch box and it works fine, with the position of the switch in the cockpit mirroring the position of my mechanical switch.

Are you using a mechanical two position switch?

I just tried it with my test switch box and it works fine, with the position of the switch in the cockpit mirroring the position of my mechanical switch.

I am.

Are you on the ground? I think with weight on wheel it looks like it is working right, but in the air it doesn't. At least for me.

I am.

Are you on the ground? I think with weight on wheel it looks like it is working right, but in the air it doesn't. At least for me.

Yes I was on the ground. I see the same behaviour as you in the air, that is very strange.

If there was someone in ED that I could talk to I'd be able to figure these weird things out. Only thing I can think of now is to define a new switch type that works differently in the air than on the ground, I just need to work out if I can determine wow from within dcsbios.

Unfortunately I am about to head interstate for 14 days so I won't be able to look at this before I get back.

Yes I was on the ground. I see the same behaviour as you in the air, that is very strange.

If there was someone in ED that I could talk to I'd be able to figure these weird things out. Only thing I can think of now is to define a new switch type that works differently in the air than on the ground, I just need to work out if I can determine wow from within dcsbios.

Unfortunately I am about to head interstate for 14 days so I won't be able to look at this before I get back.

Well, at least I know I'm not doing something wrong.

I was assuming that it only looked right on the ground because the plane won't let you keep it on while landed.

Anyway, thanks for your work on this module. It was nice to find that most the hard work was already done.

• 2 weeks later...

DCS BIOS

Hey guys,

I am new to DCS BIOS and I am have problems with connect serial port. DCS and Bios isnt talking. When i start the exe it says: Enter a COM Port Number:7

Status for device COM7:

-----------------------

Baud: 250000

Parity: None

Data Bits: 8

Stop Bits: 1

Timeout: OFF

XON/XOFF: OFF

CTS handshaking: OFF

DSR handshaking: OFF

DSR sensitivity: OFF

DTR circuit: OFF

RTS circuit: OFF

Waiting for 0 seconds, press a key to continue ...

1 [main] socat 15124 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD pointer. Please report this problem to

the public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.com

If someone can tell me what i am doing wrong that would be great.

I have the same message but it's working on my computer.

Stay this windows open. And check your directory

you need to have in your DCS directory (in saved games of course)

Scripts

socat

tools

+ files like the archive

and inside Scripts :

DCS-BIOS

+ files like the archive

Works fine in my computer

Hope to help you

That is a know issue with dcs-bios and does not stop it from working.

I have same issue, on the ground it works okay but in the air it acts like a toggle control.

Yeah the Fuel dump has been behaving a little funny for a while now. Just remember to toggle it properly or you kinda end up going for a swim.

I have same issue, on the ground it works okay but in the air it acts like a toggle control.

Unfortunately this is an ED issue and not something I can easily fix.

It would be great if there was some way I could report these sort of issues and get them sorted but they don't seem to be a priority (same as getting proper status reporting for mechanically held switches).

I've gotten used to driving the switch twice, so no issue. Thanks Andrew for bringing us F/A-18 DCS.BIOS.

cheers

John

Unfortunately this is an ED issue and not something I can easily fix.

It would be great if there was some way I could report these sort of issues and get them sorted but they don't seem to be a priority (same as getting proper status reporting for mechanically held switches).

(same as getting proper status reporting for mechanically held switches).

This would be great! I have my APU start switch working more or less correctly. I'd like to do the fuel dump switch next but I'm not sure there is any point until it isn't acting like a toggle.