Reconaissance mode?

Sharkh

Hi,

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or this feature of the plane is not complete.

So I have read the Reconaissance parts of the manual and I am trying learn to use it in the first mission in the campaign included in this module.

I entered the RUTA (Patrol square) reference numbers given by the briefing of the mission and it seems its stored and when get to the patrol area and switch to "SPA" master mode with Radar mode "A1" I can identify the RUTA square on the radar screen but when I switch between the corner points by using the "B1-B4" buttons they are marked as "M1-M4(white)" on the destination indicator while according to the manual it should be displayed with a "R1-R4" .

Than I have tried to (T1-TV) fix the ships inside the patrol square and thats supposed to store these fixes as "M1-M9"(red) according to the manual but It seems its does not work for me.

Am I missing something here or this feature is not working yet?

Thanks

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

There are some problems with the recce modes, as the system has been somewhat of a low-priority compared to more critical areas (such as the module not crashing). They are on the to-do list however.

Edited by Jediteo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are some problems with the recce modes, as the system has been somewhat of a low-priority compared to more critical areas (such as the module not crashing). They are on the to-do list however.

AJS37 Viggen ;-)

It is very important mode or S should be removed.

Currently, the SPA mode is completely unusable.

I hope it will be repaired in the future.

Thanks for the answer.

I find it its an interesting feature of the plane but I can understand if its not on the top of the priority list . I hope it will be there and complete when the module left its early access status.

Edited by Sharkh

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

Excuse me, but I have point this out. It is known that this mode is not fully operational, yet the first mission of the campaign is designed to utilize it. This seems to me as a very strange move.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Excuse me, but I have point this out. It is known that this mode is not fully operational, yet the first mission of the campaign is designed to utilize it. This seems to me as a very strange move.

LMAO!

You have to have a sense of humor.

Love the mod and look forward to fixes in the future.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

In what way is it not working at the moment? Last time I checked I could do SPA/MAL and SPA/SKU. Something that was not working was deleting erroneous fixes (using the rensa button). I haven't checked if that was fixed lately though.

I just tried the SPA mode again after some months away from it. It seems that now it's not possible to record targets anymore. The T1/TV function doesn't work in SPA mode. Therefore not much use of the recon functions at all atm. This worked before the summer though.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

I went back and checked to see if SPA is working. Nope

1. R1, R2 entries in the mission editor don't show up as R waypoints...M waypoints shown instead

2. when in SPA mode and attempting a Fix it won't be entered. so you don't get a M Waypoint.

If you do see that it is working pls post a video on how you do it. thanks.

Did you check your keybindings? Because fixing targets worked for me last week on OB.

I did. They are the same as always and I can make a navigation fix in NAV mode which is the same keys so seems to be something with SPA. Please recheck, I'm on the latest OB.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

Actually I tried today and it was working. You have to select the target waypoint by press "1" on the data selector numeric keypad (for selecting the first target). It doesn't automatically select the target waypoint.

I can post a track file tomorrow. But if you have a track file ready, that would work too I guess.

P.S.: The ruta point are indeed displayed as M1, ..., M9 now, weird ...

I've created a track file showing how to make a target fix (SPA/MAL) and target track (SPA/SKU). The fixes are made using the radar, this makes it easier to see when I press T1 and TV. In order to make the track I wait at least three minutes between the first and second fix on the target. You can see that the track heading and speed match the actual heading and speed quite well (considering how inaccurate the radar fix is).

Note that I do press T0-T1-T0 sometimes to restore the radar screen image. That seems a bit strange to me.

Hope this helps.

spa test.trk

I've created a track file showing how to make a target fix (SPA/MAL) and target track (SPA/SKU). The fixes are made using the radar, this makes it easier to see when I press T1 and TV. In order to make the track I wait at least three minutes between the first and second fix on the target. You can see that the track heading and speed match the actual heading and speed quite well (considering how inaccurate the radar fix is).

Note that I do press T0-T1-T0 sometimes to restore the radar screen image. That seems a bit strange to me.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your efforts!

I didn't get it to work and I just conclude that the system does not work according to the manual/procedures. I don't get the correct symbols/color either.

I checked your track file but honestly it's hard to follow as you don't see the mouse but never mind. Let's hope that Heatblur fix the recon mode soon.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Not working : The S waypoints when you try to follow a target and the red M waypoints when you do a radar TV fix. Did not try the transfer of the data from SPA MAL to SPA SKU so i can.’t say

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

Looks like you’re a developer so I tried documenting the issues people meet when using SPA mode. I may also be doing things the wrong way, Either way, it can only help to clarify what’s going on here.

According to the AJS 37 Manual RC2 (2019-01-16):

#1: “M1-M9: Reconnaissance targets. (Indicated by a red M on destination indicator). Note that the reconnaisance target points (Red M) are not normal target waypoints (White M, converted from B points) but entirely seperate (White M, converted from B points).” (p. 360)

What actually happens: Neither M# nor red M#9 ever appears on the destination indicator (where # stands for any digit between 1 and 9). The destination indicator remains as it is, i.. showing the B# waypoint. This fact is being shown the videos below.

#2: “Other displays are slightly changed in the following manner:

(2a)“Timekeeping is paused, airspeed deviation fin is reset.

What actually happens: It seems to be working regrding the timekeeping feature. TID shows a frozen time to waypoint (e.g. 700055 15 km from won the way towards B1). I did not test the airspeed deviation feature. See video:

(2b) “Fuel requirement is between the current position to the primary landing base, based on to requirement need to return to base with current parameters along with the set fuel reserve.”

What actually happens: Does not seem to work. When I cycle from NAV to SPA master mode, the striped fuel needle does not change position (eventhought I did it just a few minutes after take-off). I had also set the fuel reserve warning at 20% beforehand. See video:

(2c) “Automatic destination change is inhibited. When changing from mode SPA, the previous destination waypoint will be selected automatically.” (p. 361)

What actually happens: The first sentence is verified: It’sworking! Not sure how to interpret the second sentence though.

#3: “The patrol area is only displayed if the master mode selector is in mode SPA and the radar mode selector in modes A0 and A1. The RUTA display is automatically selected on switching to master mode SPA.”

What actually happens: It works!

#4 “Discovered targets can be measured visually or by radar, similarly to a normal target waypoint. In mode SPA/MÅL, a target fix is not made for an existing waypoint, but a new reconnaissance target waypoint is created for each defined reconnaissance target instead. The longitude and latitude of the contact as well as a timestamp of the target fix is stored in the system. The system can store up to 9 reconnaissance position targets M1-M9. Each new reconaisance target will be stored in sequence M1-M9. Any new target will be assigned to the next number in the sequence.” (p. 363)

“Radar fixes are made by setting the radar mode selector to A1 and making a radar fix on the ship’s radar contact (similarly to how a normal radar fix is made by maneuvering the cross onto the target and pressing TV).

“The data panel will indicate the bearing and distance to position of the radar cursor (cross). When the fix is made, the data panel will alternate between longitude and latitude on the first five digits. The sixth digit will alternate between a minus sign (when displaying longitude) and the reconnaissance target number (when displaying latitude).

The CI will display the completed fix point with the circle marker until a new destination is set, or a new fix is prepared. ” (p.364)

What happens: At first, the radar fix seems to work. It will show what seeming are the target’s coordinates and that they have been saved as an M# point although it is white and not red.

But the recorded coordinates are inconsistent: for example, when I did the first (M1) radar fix in SPA mode, it showed the following coordinates:

LO 40064_

LA431621

After a few minutes, after I had switched back to NAV mode: switching again to SPA mode, selecting M1 in AKT POS, then swithing to REF LOLA on the datapanel selector, the M1 coordinates that show up on the datya display are not the same:

LO410544

LA424828

This is a place south of Sukhumi. The ships I did the fix on are next to Sochi.

It tried two more times and recorded the entire process with the M3 radar fix in SPA. Video:

-when I did the radar fix in SPA mode, it showed the following coordinates (they seem to be accurate since I put ships in their general vicinity - close to Gelendzhik) :

LO37581_

LA442953

- After switching back to NAV, then SPA again, then selecting M3 in AKT POS then switching to REF LOLA:

LO364716

LA435945

This location is in the Black Sea, a little more than 100 km west of the actual radar fix that has been made earlier.

I did another video showing the whole process from the initial coordinates that show up on the data display and those that show up after swithing back to NAV then again to SPA:

Moreover, even if a radar fix in SPA mode has been done and recorded in an M# waypoint, switching back to NAV will change the Destination indicator to a blinking E# as if the system is stll expecting a fix. This can be corrected by releasing the fix trigger (T0).

#5: “Transfer to tracking target Data from the target measurement mode (MÅL) can be transferred to the target tracking mode layer (SKU). This is done by selecting the desired measured target in SPA/MÅL and then pressing the waypoint button LS/SKU twice in rapid succession.

“A successful transfer is indicated by the tracked target number (S1 – S9) in the destination indicator.”

“A failed transfer (due to the tracking slots being full) is indicated by six minus signs.”

“Transferred targets are assigned the lowest available tracking slot number.” (p. 365)

What happens: It doesn’t seem to work. No S# waypoint appears on the destination indicator (the normally red - but this does not work here) M# waypoint remains unchanged). And no failed transfer message appears either. See video:

#6: “Mode SPA/SKU is selected, in mode SPA/MÅL and with the data selector in AKT POS, by pressing the waypoint button LS/SKU once.

“This will result in the either latest selected, measured, or transferred target in the SKU layer

being selected as a destination.” (p. 366)

What happens: “When switching from NAV to SPA, then pressing LS/SKU, nothing happens on the destination indicator (it keeps showing the waypoint towards which the plane is heading (e.g. B2)).

#7: “In mode SPA/SKU, only targets in the SKU-layer can be selected as a destination. A target is selected in the SKU layer by choosing the data selector mode AKT POS, then pressing the number (S1 – S9). As the tracking targets cannot be selected in any other mode than SPA/SKU, the mode is indicated by a tracking target being the destination (S on the destination indicator).”

What happens: Nothing. I switched from NAV top SPA then pressed LS/SKU with the data selector mode in AKT POS. Nothing changed on the destination indicator (I was flying towards waypoint 2).

#8: Fixes in SPA/SKU (p.366-8).

Cannot test since no S waypoint shows up on the destination indicator.

#9: Several other functions (p. 369-70)

(a) “Several reconnaissance functions are only programmable / accessible in mode SPA. Normally, pressing the RENSA (CLEAR) button while airborne will result in that the fixes being cleared, in mode SPA the button has other functions:

In mode SPA / MÅL (recce target measurement), the latest selected / measured target is cleared on the first press of the button, the second will clear all the measured reconnaissance targets if pressed within 2 seconds of the first press and no digit button or fix trigger has been pressed in-between.”

What happens: Nothing.

The following functions have not been tested: Clearing individual targets in SPA MAL, clearing targets in SPA/SKU, Input VIND/RUTA/MAL, Input TID, Input TAKT,Output VIND/RUTA/MAL, Output TID, Output TAKT.

Edited by Leviathan667

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

Way to go Leviathan667! :thumbup:

I myself just lazily noted that the recon mode wasn't working and left the topic.