Beslan to Sukumi-Babushara Engine Spluttering?

imacken

So, I decided to fly from Beslan to Sukumi-Babushara for a little pre-Easter jaunt in the Spit.

Everything was OK, till I got to the mountains, then after a few minutes, I got spluttering, engine dropping revs, fuel pressure warning light coming on, etc.

A bit of pumping with the wobble partially resolved it, but continued spluttering etc. followed.

I made to to Sukumi - just! I literally landed justas the fuel ran out and the prop stopped!

My questions are:

1) why were there fuel pressure issues? Height? Temperature over the mountains?

2) Should I have switched the Fuel Pressuring Cock to on?

3) How do you request a re-fuel when landed? I know about l-alt + ', but nothing happened after my request. (Idiot's guide to radio comms on the Spit?)

Thanks for any help.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The official (1946) RAF Pilot's Notes 'Check list before take-off' includes

'Main tank booster pump - ON'.

Elsewhere (para 33 (iii) (a)) PN also includes the statement

' The main tank booster pump should be switched ON for take-of and landing and at all times when these tanks are in use in flight'.

Somewhere the belief seems to have arisen that this pump is not normally used. There is no support for this in the Pilot' Notes.

Pilot's Notes are less prescriptive about the use of tank pressurisation. However, I can see no reason why it should not be used, unless there is a possibility of fuel tank damage, when the pressure could increase any possible fuel leak rate.

So, I decided to fly from Beslan to Sukumi-Babushara for a little pre-Easter jaunt in the Spit.

Everything was OK, till I got to the mountains, then after a few minutes, I got spluttering, engine dropping revs, fuel pressure warning light coming on, etc.

A bit of pumping with the wobble partially resolved it, but continued spluttering etc. followed.

I made to to Sukumi - just! I literally landed justas the fuel ran out and the prop stopped!

My questions are:

1) why were there fuel pressure issues? Height? Temperature over the mountains?

2) Should I have switched the Fuel Pressuring Cock to on?

3) How do you request a re-fuel when landed? I know about l-alt + ', but nothing happened after my request. (Idiot's guide to radio comms on the Spit?)

Thanks for any help.

I don't own the plane, but does the Spitfire have fuel mixture control? RPM control? If so, consult a chart for best mixture and RPM for the altitude you're at.

Carb heat? I'm just throwing ideas out there.

What flyco said. Turn on the main booster pump. You will be able to fly the plane without it, however at a high altitude (lower pressure and temp) the engine will have trouble and will usually seize. It's the small switch beneath the elevator trim wheel.

You can request refuel on designate taxi areas, but you need to use the Function keys, for comms. Backslash, then: - "F8" Ground Crew - "F3"(might be F4, not sure) Rearm - Refuel

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I am a little confused, however. If we are talking about the Fuel Pump switch under the Elevator Trim Wheel, then I always have that switched on. What about the Fuel Tank Pressure valve. Should that not have been turned on when the low pressure light was on?

What about the reasons why this happened? My question 1).

Also, why would there be no re-fuelling at neutral fields? Seems odd. How else can you fly from one place to another?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Also, why would there be no re-fuelling at neutral fields? Seems odd. How else can you fly from one place to another?

Technically, if they refuel you (offer support) they are no longer neutral. Should not even be allowed to takeoff again from a neutral field.

Try placing the intended fuel stops in the friendly coalition and see if it works?

That's how DCS always has been working - only airbases assigned in Mission Editor to Your coalition colour (blue or red) provide any ground crew services. Neutral ones provide ATC only.

I'm a bit puzzled by Your note, that even with booster pump on the pressure light went on. That certainly wasn't happening post release (booster pump on was enough for medium-to-high altitudes, even with tank pressure valve off), unless something has changed in latest patches. Haven't tested today's update yet.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks guys.

I tried the same flight again, and didn't have any issues. So, maybe the booster pump was off before. On is fully aft, yes?

Regarding re-fuelling, how is it possible to have a long flight across the Caucusus without re-fuelling in 'free flight' scenario?

I never remember which position of the switch corresponds to pump on/off, so I check it by ear :D - If You're doing a cold start, You'll hear that noisy little bugger easily (not so much in flight through the engine roar, though).

As for the default free flight mission, I dunno - I guess the easiest way would be opening it in Mission Editor, changing the airbases You're interested in to "blue" and saving the mission as another, custom one (so that it doesn't get overwritten back to default during next update cycle).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I never remember which position of the switch corresponds to pump on/off, so I check it by ear :D - If You're doing a cold start, You'll hear that noisy little bugger easily (not so much in flight through the engine roar, though).

As for the default free flight mission, I dunno - I guess the easiest way would be opening it in Mission Editor, changing the airbases You're interested in to "blue" and saving the mission as another, custom one (so that it doesn't get overwritten back to default during next update cycle).

Excellent suggestions! Thank you.

I was flying the Spitfire yesterday and noticed the same, the engine was cutting out all the time and the low fuel pressure light came on when flying at a height of 5k. Handpumping helped at first instance, but the second time I could not get the pressure back.

I tried a lot but nothing helped and the engine died.

While gliding down I noticed two things:

1) Carburetor air intake control was in the forward position

2) Water radiator temperature was near zero

I am not sure if the carburetor setting was causing the troubles, but I am pretty sure the temperature being low was bad. I think I accidentally hit a switch that switched off the auto radiator.

The next take off I took better care of the carburetor setting and the radiator and did not have any any problems at all.

Thanks guys.

I tried the same flight again, and didn't have any issues. So, maybe the booster pump was off before. On is fully aft, yes?

Regarding re-fuelling, how is it possible to have a long flight across the Caucusus without re-fuelling in 'free flight' scenario?

Just set the allegiance of the airfields in the mission editor. In reality, in wartime, a military aircraft landing in neutral territory would expect to be impounded, so it's not unrealistic to be provided with ATC services and nothing else. I can't see ED making any changes to such a long standing, and accepted policy regarding neutrality.

I was flying the Spitfire yesterday and noticed the same, the engine was cutting out all the time and the low fuel pressure light came on when flying at a height of 5k. Handpumping helped at first instance, but the second time I could not get the pressure back.

I tried a lot but nothing helped and the engine died.

While gliding down I noticed two things:

1) Carburetor air intake control was in the forward position

2) Water radiator temperature was near zero

I am not sure if the carburetor setting was causing the troubles, but I am pretty sure the temperature being low was bad. I think I accidentally hit a switch that switched off the auto radiator.

The next take off I took better care of the carburetor setting and the radiator and did not have any any problems at all.

Ah, you could be on to something there. It's quite possible I forgot to put the carburettor control back to the aft position.

Just set the allegiance of the airfields in the mission editor. In reality, in wartime, a military aircraft landing in neutral territory would expect to be impounded, so it's not unrealistic to be provided with ATC services and nothing else. I can't see ED making any changes to such a long standing, and accepted policy regarding neutrality.

Yes, agreed, but I am talking about simple 'free flight' or 'take off'/'landing' training type scenarios, not war. In these, almost all airfields are set to neutral, which makes doing a longish flight impossible.

However, you're suggestion about changing allegiances in the mission editor is a workaround. Thanks.

I had the same problem with the engine sputtering and stopping (especially when increasing throttle) at about 17,000 ft. No low pressure light in my case. Engaged the booster pump and problem solved: climbed to +40,000 to make sure that was it. :)

The DCS manual does not say to engage that pump. Pilot Notes yes, they tell to do so just after start, before takeoff and before landing. It is weird tho as there were planes without this pump. Maybe it was only really needed for the external tank but was always used just as precautionary procedure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The DCS manual does not say to engage that pump. Pilot Notes yes, they tell to do so just after start, before takeoff and before landing. It is weird tho as there were planes without this pump. Maybe it was only really needed for the external tank but was always used just as precautionary procedure.

Chuck's Guide says to engage the fuel pump.

I'm going to try the ED Startup training and see if it features there.

The fuel pump is set to 'on' in ED's training missions, so i guess that's our answer.

just be aware the switch position is reversed,( not a bug) on is down, backwards from u.s. and German switches. if the low pressure light is on, most likely the pump is off, or you are out of fuel, most likely pump is off, if wobble pump turns the light off

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks, I'm aware that aft is on. You can hear it when parked.

The switch is on in all the ED Instant Action and Training scenarios, so as I said above, I guess that ends the debate as to whether it should be on or not.

Chuck's Guide says to engage the fuel pump.

I'm going to try the ED Startup training and see if it features there.

The DCS training mission about starting the Spitfire does not even mention the boost pump. It is obviously required in this module, but I don't think the actual aircraft had these problems just because it didn't exist in some of them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The DCS training mission about starting the Spitfire does not even mention the boost pump. It is obviously required in this module, but I don't think the actual aircraft had these problems just because it didn't exist in some of them.

It is not mentioned, but is switched on in every Training and Instant Action scenario.

According to the Pilots Notes, boost pump should be turned on AFTER starting the engine. Before is only used momentarily to pressurize the fuel system.

But the Pilots Notes startup procedure will not work on DCS Spitfire, so whatever works seems as realistic as any procedure right now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

I had a rough/surging engine in the Spit and after landing found I had forgotten to flip up the booster and start switch covers and fully close the primer pump. I do that religiously now and she is smoother. Fuel booster pump always.