Cargo advice

LooseSeal

So I'm just getting used to flying the Huey and trying my best to start with cargo... but not going well so far to say the least.

I'm practicing with a 1,300lb cargo, which seems reasonable. My problem is that I'm finding it very difficult to generate lift after hooking without either a low RPM warning or causing an engine fire. It seems impossible to raise the collective enough without going into the exhaust temperature red zone for too long.

Then pretty much the same problem when coming in to unhook, constant engine fires as I just can't maintain a hover without overdoing the exhaust temperatures...

Does anyone have advice on avoiding engines fires/generating lift more efficiently with cargo??

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

same here. yesterday i tried to lift ammo cargo. despite my fuel wasn't full, i was unable to gain enough lift. engine was set on fire and crash. egt thing is really annoying.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

you need to extend to the rope length without cooking the engine.

and only go into the red for a very short time when actually lifting the load.

default rope is 50ft.

so after hooking you need to raise to 50ft in the hover without going into the red.

and the climb may be slow as you get to the top of ground effect.

then when you are at 50ft you use a burst of collective to lift the load and get you into translational lift. (40kph)

and then you reduce to within tolerance. so you only cook it for 5 seconds.

and never exceed 760 degrees.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

you need to extend to the rope length without cooking the engine.

and only go into the red for a very short time when actually lifting the load.

default rope is 50ft.

so after hooking you need to raise to 50ft in the hover without going into the red.

and the climb may be slow as you get to the top of ground effect.

then when you are at 50ft you use a burst of collective to lift the load and get you into translational lift. (40kph)

and then you reduce to within tolerance. so you only cook it for 5 seconds.

and never exceed 760 degrees.

I'm doing a mission in the UN Pilot campaign where the briefing gives advice for take-off to switch the governor to manual and increase the turbine RPM, would that also help? I'm guessing you shouldn't leave the governor in manual for too long, though!

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

no, that's only when you are grossly overweight

when you can get into a ground effect hover but no higher because of low speed rotor.

this is different because the helicopter is not overloaded.

in fact the helicopter has no load until you get 50ft off the ground and lift the load.

and then its only 1200lbs.

so you should have no issues with a low speed rotor. unless you move the collective too quickly.

and that also spikes the EGT. moving the collective too quickly.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Check your load out wgt. 9500 lb is your Max.

Your cargo maybe putting you over.

Practice well under the limit till you get proficient, then increase your load wgts. Dump fuel if you need to.

Cold and low helps too.

Edited by Chic

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Thanks guys! I think I may have been overweight... for a start I hadn't realised I'd given myself a rather unnecessary full tank of fuel :music_whistling:

Just for future reference, is there a rough time you can normally spend in the red zone for engine exhaust temps before a possible fire? Or is it just on a wing and a prayer?

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

Thanks guys! I think I may have been overweight... for a start I hadn't realised I'd given myself a rather unnecessary full tank of fuel :music_whistling:

Just for future reference, is there a rough time you can normally spend in the red zone for engine exhaust temps before a possible fire? Or is it just on a wing and a prayer?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=196588

Check out the OP for what it's worth

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Thanks very much! I understand a bit better now... I had no idea there was a cumulative and permanent damage to the engine performance.

Certainly explains why guys in Youtube videos from a few years ago were doing things performance-wise I couldn't explain!

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog