vLSO and other CV Ops Interest Thread

Dino Might

http://vlso.blogspot.com/

If anyone here has played P3D with the Hornet and vLSO mod, I'm wondering if a similar environment and tool could be scripted for DCS. It's a fantastic tool that would greatly enhance the single player experience and work well on dedicated multiplayer CV Ops servers.

To that end, does anyone have some expertise in LUA coding or DCS mods that understands how something like this would be done? I'm a neophyte when it comes to anything outside of Matlab, but would be willing to learn to try and help out.

My vision is ultimately to have a player LSO slot available on the CV and a vLSO mod working when no players are active in the LSO role. That way, anyone doing carrier landings can have the appropriate feedback as they are in the pattern.

Anyone already working on something like this, or is anyone interested in leading some development on it?

Any links to official announcements on what is in development?

Right now, need working optical landing system, TACAN, and LSO. Of these, what do we know is being developed? My impression was none, currently.

Its just my 2 cent. Only the announcement of the carrier modul is official. What it takes with it is unknown

Human LSO is still the best, the one Sage linked will be a good stand in too. But I also would love to see a vLSO in DCS. Would certainly be awesome!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

you mean something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s61DEKfKSY

they even have a pitching deck rightnow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2TcSG9yRlU

this hypes me up so much :D

Very familiar with the work Jar has done. We used to fly with them quite a bit. It's awesome work! I was referring to hopefully an ED or Heatblur;) solution that automatically graded you like vLSO does in P3D.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

I would prefer an LSO have a position on the deck relative to where the LSO actually stands, but I'm just that guy. LSOs don't talk on using the PLAT camera, right?

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

Nothing wrong with discussing it here.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would prefer an LSO have a position on the deck relative to where the LSO actually stands, but I'm just that guy. LSOs don't talk on using the PLAT camera, right?

The Stingers did accomplish this with the mod and it works very well. VFA-2 flew passes with Taco(who is a SME for Heatblur and was a LSO IRL) grading passes standing on the LSO platform in VR and it was awesome! For the normal non experienced person(without 600+ traps IRL and actual experience as an LSO) you pretty much need the Plat Cam to properly judge position and glideslope etc... Not to mention keeping a proper and fair judging system for grading the Greenie Board:D

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

The Stingers did accomplish this with the mod and it works very well. VFA-2 flew passes with Taco(who is a SME for Heatblur and was a LSO IRL) grading passes standing on the LSO platform in VR and it was awesome! For the normal non experienced person(without 600+ traps IRL and actual experience as an LSO) you pretty much need the Plat Cam to properly judge position and glideslope etc... Not to mention keeping a proper and fair judging system for grading the Greenie Board:D

I remember hearing about it, now that you mention it. It seems like it takes the challenge of having a human do it, the square is always right, but would have to agree that the practice needed to be able to perform from the platform might not be conducive to fun gameplay. Although that argument could be made for much of the other things we put ourselves through. At least have an option to "stand" in the correct spot. If one would be so inclined to torture oneself.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I remember hearing about it, now that you mention it. It seems like it takes the challenge of having a human do it, the square is always right, but would have to agree that the practice needed to be able to perform from the platform might not be conducive to fun gameplay. Although that argument could be made for much of the other things we put ourselves through. At least have an option to "stand" in the correct spot. If one would be so inclined to torture oneself.

Well if we have more than one person in the LSO spot then it could be fun to work on that skill and see if they can grade correctly. But as soon pilot I would never accept a grade that's going on the Greenie Board from someone other than a real LSO that isn't using a plat cam;)

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Human LSO would/will be awesome, but I really want an AI (perfect) LSO available for single player flights. If I'm looking to work on my carrier ops on my own, I want me to be the only variable that's responsible for any errors.

I also would prefer the human LSO slot be in the actual LSO position.

I think of all the things needed when the F/A-18 or F-14 launches, the optical landing system is the most urgent. I'm worried that won't be available for quite some time...

Human LSO would/will be awesome, but I really want an AI (perfect) LSO available for single player flights. If I'm looking to work on my carrier ops on my own, I want me to be the only variable that's responsible for any errors.

I also would prefer the human LSO slot be in the actual LSO position.

I think of all the things needed when the F/A-18 or F-14 launches, the optical landing system is the most urgent. I'm worried that won't be available for quite some time...

If you have Tacview try that link I posted not real time but it is good for seeing what you're doing wrong

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

This thread is making me wonder how the OLS is going to function. Will it only exist on the carrier model deck edge or will there be a convenient pop-up overlay like what we got with Jane's F/A-18? The pop-up isn't terribly realistic, but it will probably make it easier to decipher an object that is only going to be a few pixels high at the ball call.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

I agree with your point about the IFOLS' importance when the Hornet and Tomcat come out but I don't understand your concerns about it not being ready/available when they do. It is already available in a MOD, as is the PLAT cam. I think that if a modder can make these things happen from outside the 3rd party/ED world, it should be a piece of cake for ED to make it happen. A definite no-brainer! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This thread is making me wonder how the OLS is going to function. Will it only exist on the carrier model deck edge or will there be a convenient pop-up overlay like what we got with Jane's F/A-18? The pop-up isn't terribly realistic, but it will probably make it easier to decipher an object that is only going to be a few pixels high at the ball call.

I'm also wondering if it will be possible to play LSO, they are pilots afterall, or if human LSO will be there at all..could it be just a CombinedArms thing?

I agree with your point about the IFOLS' importance when the Hornet and Tomcat come out but I don't understand your concerns about it not being ready/available when they do. It is already available in a MOD, as is the PLAT cam. I think that if a modder can make these things happen from outside the 3rd party/ED world, it should be a piece of cake for ED to make it happen. A definite no-brainer! :thumbup:

Is the IFOLS in that mod an actual working system or just for show? I'm really hoping birth versions of the ED carrier and the HB carrier will have it fully functioning.

Well if we have more than one person in the LSO spot then it could be fun to work on that skill and see if they can grade correctly. But as soon pilot I would never accept a grade that's going on the Greenie Board from someone other than a real LSO that isn't using a plat cam;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but the grade comes from the Plat not the LSO platform irl. Thats just where the LSO stands, but the landing is graded based on the Plat recording.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]