mavericks bug

smallberries

So, I couldn't find a thread about this....but my 65D would rather lock onto streetlamps - during the day - than a tank. I don't know much about street lamps and how tempting a signature they would be if they were on at night, compared to a legit target. But I'm pretty sure during the day, when they're off, they shouldn't be.

... my 65D would rather lock onto streetlamps - during the day - than a tank. I don't know much about street lamps and how tempting a signature they would be if they were on at night, compared to a legit target. But I'm pretty sure during the day, when they're off, they shouldn't be.

Street lamps are made of metal so gain or loose heat faster than the surroundings, this is probably why they've been modelled as lockable by the maverick's IR sensor in DCS.

I don't know how much of a problem street lamps are in real life but the Harrier's FLIR hot spot detector certainly picks up a number of false returns including electricity pylons.

Although annoying when trying to track a moving tank following a road/railway track, I actually prefer the new challenge over being able to lock and fire at vehicles at unrealistic long ranges.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

They also generally work by igniting an arc, or electrifying metal to a high degree of temperature. You can't touch many large lamps like spotlights etc for this reason... they are literally hundreds of degrees.

So yes, they would be a problem I guess... how much I can't say. I guess that's where laser guidance or perhaps CCD rules.

Yeah, so I did mention it was daytime, and the streetlamps aren't going to be on

A tank doesn't need to have it's engine running to be a different temperature to the background, similarly - a building, lamp post, etc. doesn't need heating or light to be detectable.

Approx. twice a day (~7am/4pm) the background and objects (i.e. parked cars, lamp posts, railway lines, etc.) are similar temperatures, at other times, the ground either heats up slower or retains heat longer, this temperature difference is what the IR seeker locks onto.

Obviously the larger the temperature difference i.e. a vehicle with a hot exhaust/engine, the easier it is to get a good IR 'lock' at longer distances (a T-55 was said to be easier to detect with IR than radar due to it's hot exhaust pipe).

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080