radar elevation dial

DayGlow

I'm setting up my HOTAS and came across the fact that even though this is a dial in the plane, there is no analogue axis to map to it. I've got 2 rotaries on my X-65 and there are 3 dials on the real radar stick: Scan range, gain dial, and elevation dial, but only the gain is an axis.

between the 2 rotaries and mouse wheel on the throttle, I could map all three to dials, but since they aren't axises in the game I can't without creating a custom profile for the throttle just for the Viggen, which I like to avoid.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

• 6 months later...

I'm using the POV-button on the throttle (TM Warthog HOTAS). Left/right to set radar range and up/down to change radar antenna elevation. Don't know if that helps you at all but still :)

| Strix Z490-H | i5 10600K | MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming X | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | 256 Gb SDD Samsung 840 Pro + 480Gb SDD Kingston + 500 Gb HDD | Acer Predator Z1 2560*1440p | TM Warthog HOTAS | 2x MFD Cougar | Buddyfox A10 UFC  | TrackIR 5 | Win10 Pro 64-Bit Swedish |

| A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-86F Sabre | F/A-18 Hornet | KA-50 Blackshark | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H Huey | FC3 | CA | WWII Assets Pack | Supercarrier |

Skyracer just said in an earlier thread that having the weapon dial to "IR" or "AKAN" should give you the elevation indicator at the top of the radar scope. I haven't gotten this mode much, so I'll validate when I get home.

Agreed that it is confusing though. IMO knowing which mode (terrain avoidance or normal) and elevation (steerable even outside of IR and AKAN modes) is all but impossible to me for determine outside of guesswork. It may be that the Viggen just didn't have those indicators. But given that the radar returns in 2.5 are still a little iffy (as I understand, trees still muck with it quite a bit), I often can't tell the two modes apart.

I'd recommend switching to AKAN to get the elevation indicator, then back to your preferred weapon in order to center the radar, unless someone knows of a "Centering" keybind.

Kozality

Vargar 1-2

107th JAS

http://throughtheinferno.com/

Skyracer just said in an earlier thread that having the weapon dial to "IR" or "AKAN" should give you the elevation indicator at the top of the radar scope. I haven't gotten this mode much, so I'll validate when I get home.

Agreed that it is confusing though. IMO knowing which mode (terrain avoidance or normal) and elevation (steerable even outside of IR and AKAN modes) is all but impossible to me for determine outside of guesswork. It may be that the Viggen just didn't have those indicators. But given that the radar returns in 2.5 are still a little iffy (as I understand, trees still muck with it quite a bit), I often can't tell the two modes apart.

I'd recommend switching to AKAN to get the elevation indicator, then back to your preferred weapon in order to center the radar, unless someone knows of a "Centering" keybind.

Introducing rotary axis for this will make things easier to grasp.

I do wonder what the actual radar in the Viggen (our version) looked like. I'm very curious.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • ED Team

Going to bring this up again, since it doesn't seem to have been noticed by the devs, no tag - radar elevation, as it's modeled, is completely unusable, since there's no way to center it. This is like the polar opposite of how F-14 is done, in the F-14 we have multiple redundant axes for the same functions to match everyone's hardware. And here? Here it doesn't even match the real functionality, which happens to be available in most mid-range hardware, we don't even have a "reset elevation" button.

• 5 months later...

Am I dreaming? I am pretty sure I have radar elevation mapped to a rotary axis on my throttle. Can you guys double check your binding options?

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."