Upgrade and reinstall

Batman

Hi guys, sorry for the annoying question but I'm about to upgrade from Win 7 to 10 and just need to run something past you regarding steam and my games installed.

The list I have currently (or my important ones I should say) are:

DCS modules: F-14, F/A-18, F-5, Mig-21, Nevada, F-16, Mirage 2000, UH-1H, Persian Gulf (and not related but Arma 3)

Is it simply a matter or reinstalling everything from zero and hey presto, back to normal or is it a bit more tricky than that (I'm going to install a new hard drive so new install of windows)? I read (but can't find anywhere) something about a .exe to be activated before removing a module.

Also very important, can I change the location of the famous "downloading" folder that DCS creates when updates or new modules come out?

Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing you could just use the steam backup if you have a spare drive. You can jusr download it all if you want to? Also backup your save games folder.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-yphv-2033

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

If it is only for steam, you don't need to do anything. Steam (and all the games in your libary) does not need a reinstallation. I haven't reinstalled steam for like 7 or 8 years, but have updated from win 7 to win 10 in the meantime and have several times copied my steam install to a new SSD. Everything is running fine to this day. Steam will just do a new registrty entry and will run as always after you set up your new OS.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2