Scale of cockpits in VR - HP Reverb

bies

Hi,

i have HP Reverb VR headset and i'm really pleased with it, but i have questions about the scale in DCS.

I use default 63mm IPD in WMR and this is about my real IPD.

I have noticed cockpit of the F-16 is about 10% smaller than the real thing - i've noticed that only after seeing F-16 flight stick - it is for sure significantly smaller than my Warthog. Previously i didn't have as reliable point of reference. Pilot in F/A-18 looks a bit small but idk how big guy it is meant to represent.

In other WW2 sim the scale looks just right (and it gives me no eye strain - contrary to DCS).

If i remember correctly cockpits in DCS looked a bit bigger in Pimax 5K i used previously but i'm not 100% sure.

1) Should i "Force smeller IPD" in DCS VR option? Or i should rather change IPD in WMR settings instead?

2) Are other modules in the same scale as F-16 or F/A-18? Or i need to remember different IPD for each?

cheers

Dcs iPd is not iPd, but world scale.

Example real iPd for me is 61.7. In dcs iPd/world scale is 45 to get correct size for my eye balls.

This is all shooters eyes dependent no one will be the same

To add each aircraft in game I have generally different iPd settings in dcs. Example. F16 is 45 while f18 is 50 or 55 to achieve correct perceived size with my eyeballs

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Does "Force IPD" option change the scale of the cockpit only or the whole world around me also?

It changes the scale of the whole world around you, but the scale of the cockpit will be the most noticeable change since you're a lot closer to it.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

that's only a different name for the same concept.

or could you explain, what the technical difference between the two would be, other than the distance between the projection viewports?

i would assume, that the percieved difference in "correct" value, has more to do with cockpits from pre-VR modules being just wrong in scale. adjusting for "correct" cockpit scale on those, should give you wrong scaling on everything else but the cockpit in question.

Example real iPd for me is 61.7. In dcs iPd/world scale is 45 to get correct size for my eye balls.

This is all shooters eyes dependent no one will be the same

To add each aircraft in game I have generally different iPd settings in dcs. Example. F16 is 45 while f18 is 50 or 55 to achieve correct perceived size with my eyeballs

How it is possible? If "Force IPD" change the scale of the whole world an all objects and you use different for different planes you see smaller trucks/hangars/airways/mountines/everything when you fly Hornet comparing to I.e. Viper.

Isn't that unified for all modules?

How it is possible? If "Force IPD" change the scale of the whole world an all objects and you use different for different planes you see smaller trucks/hangars/airways/mountines/everything when you fly Hornet comparing to I.e. Viper.

Isn't that unified for all modules?

No atleast with my eyes all modules aka aircraft pits seem to be on their own scale. So it seems their isn’t one standard must be an issue with vr in general.

So if I do the standard 63.5 that dcs is set at f18 f16 are super tiny aka like miniature. Where as at same setting a10c is huge, same with ka50.

So sop for me is whatever I fly I adjust iPd to fit what appears correct in real world size.

Everybodys eyes are different

Between all the modules most pits for me will vary by 5 to 10 in iPd settings in dcs world.

Edited by Sniper175

No atleast with my eyes all modules aka aircraft pits seem to be on their own scale. So it seems their isn’t one standard must be an issue with vr in general.

So if I do the standard 63.5 that dcs is set at f18 f16 are super tiny aka like miniature. Where as at same setting a10c is huge, same with ka50.

So sop for me is whatever I fly I adjust iPd to fit what appears correct in real world size.

Everybodys eyes are different

Between all the modules most pits for me will vary by 5 to 10 in iPd settings in dcs world.

I have tried your solution, here is the result:

Yes, F-18 cockpit is a bit bigger (because of scale, not because of being a bit bigger irl, BUT:

If you change Force IPD value for different modules everything outside IS of a different size.

So you have everything bigger around your plane in F-16 than when you fly Hornet.

If you are not sure just eject and walk your pilot to some static soldier; when ejecting from F-16 you will meet huge 2m tall marine, when ejecting from Hornet you will find 1,6m midget... The same is true for every single object around you. Even airfield's runway will be narrower when flying Hornet with smaller Force IPD value than F-16.

Devs need to unify the scale of all cockpits..

Edited by bies

I have tried your solution, here is the result:

Yes, F-18 cockpit is a bit bigger (because of scale, not because of being a bit bigger irl, BUT:

If you change Force IPD value for different modules everything outside IS of a different size.

So you have everything bigger around your plane in F-16 than when you fly Hornet.

If you are not sure just eject and walk your pilot to some static soldier; when ejecting from F-16 you will meet huge 2m tall marine, when ejecting from Hornet you will find 1,6m midget... The same is true for every single object around you. Even airfield's runway will be narrower when flying Hornet with smaller Force IPD value than F-16.

Devs need to unify the scale of all cockpits..

Ya I’m aware of this hence my post above. Vr is not new to me with dcs, issue is dcs world has bolted on vr support, it was not built ground up with vr in mind so everything will have to get on one size scale like you mention.

Best you can do is get the cockpit size right for your individual eyes.