Mig-21 Ext sounds

Yuya6104

Mig-21 sounds need be more worked on more higher fidelity since Mig engine so loud so bold such a creation can not go unnoticed or turn a blind eye we need this power we need loudness we need higher sounds to Mig-21 from leatherneck and Viggen and the comming F-14 so on.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know where all the sound files are located? I can find most sounds, but I can't find the back engine sound for instance...

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Does anyone know where all the sound files are located? I can find most sounds, but I can't find the back engine sound for instance...

\DCS World\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines

It's ether:

- "PlaneAroundEngine"

- "PlaneBackEngine"

- "PlaneFrontEngine"

or:

- "MigAroundEngine"

- "MigBackEngine"

- "MigFrontEngine"

IIRC cobra said in the past that they are unable to change this, not sure how RAZBAM can if this is the case though?

They can't change it because they're using Default ED Sounds and they don't have premision to change those sounds

If they define their own sounds and play them they can do whatever they want

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

They can't change it because they're using Default ED Sounds and they don't have premision to change those sounds

If they define their own sounds and play them they can do whatever they want

Ahh i see, so they just don't want to bother with adding realistic sounds then?

Ahh i see, so they just don't want to bother with adding realistic sounds then?

..No. :)

We currently can't change AI and Player exterior sounds properly-- it's on the list.

I've explained this situation quite a few times already in the last month.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 4 weeks later...

What I dont understand is why the files are included but not used. There are a bunch of sound files in the Mig21 sound folder that all seem to have but one effect, to confuse us :)

I spent nearly a whole day trying to change the sounds. What I eventually found out is that EngineGE.wav EngineJet.wav in \Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines\ is used

Since these are samples that combine several sounds into one there is not much point in changing them, and that's maybe the reason why the module sounds so bad (i.e. always the same).

It's practically impossible to come from the Mig-15 with diveplane11s Klimov sound and not feel underwhelmed.

What I dont understand is why the files are included but not used. There are a bunch of sound files in the Mig21 sound folder that all seem to have but one effect, to confuse us :)

I spent nearly a whole day trying to change the sounds. What I eventually found out is that EngineGE.wav EngineJet.wav in \Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines\ is used

Since these are samples that combine several sounds into one there is not much point in changing them, and that's maybe the reason why the module sounds so bad (i.e. always the same).

It's practically impossible to come from the Mig-15 with diveplane11s Klimov sound and not feel underwhelmed.

The answer is in the post above yours.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

Not a fair comparison I'd say. MiG-15 was programmed to use custom sounds right from the start, that's why modding it is easy, as it only requires replacement of its own samples.

The -21 works on the principle of sharing some core samples of the game for some reason, so I guess changing it requires a bit of a code rewrite. Don't know why it was programmed this counter-intuitive way in the first place, but wouldn't mind seeing it (or rather hearing it) changed at some point in the near future!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Not a fair comparison I'd say. MiG-15 was programmed to use custom sounds right from the start, that's why modding it is easy, as it only requires replacement of its own samples.

The -21 works on the principle of sharing some core samples of the game for some reason, so I guess changing it requires a bit of a code rewrite. Don't know why it was programmed this counter-intuitive way in the first place, but wouldn't mind seeing it (or rather hearing it) changed at some point in the near future!

what's unfair? Each module in the DCS third party projects its own unique sound, which resembles the real! only the injustice is that the user Mig21 rely on the default sound .. the only reason it is, is the inability to create a new decent real! What is the problem create your own sound? Look at the FSX simulator. To each airplane, everyone can insert the sound of what he liked. real sound makes module prestige. which can not be said about mig21 and developers that obviously cares.

<White Tiger>

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

what's unfair? Each module in the DCS third party projects its own unique sound, which resembles the real! only the injustice is that the user Mig21 rely on the default sound .. the only reason it is, is the inability to create a new decent real! What is the problem create your own sound? Look at the FSX simulator. To each airplane, everyone can insert the sound of what he liked. real sound makes module prestige. which can not be said about mig21 and developers that obviously cares.

Because we are unable to do so for the external, properly, at this time.

Once resources are freed up for both us and ED to implement this feature, it will be done.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

I think it would be childish to argue if it can't be done it can't be done. Probably that's something about the way the module came into being. But what can be done right now? I try to play around with the EngineGE.wav EngineJet.wav.

If we had the names of sounds used we could at least change something. Am I right to assume that the Mig-21 uses some files from Sounds/Effects/Aircraft/Engines but not all, and I have to find out which?

Even EngineJet.wav seems not to work. I am beginning to suspect that the sound file is inside some dll. Anyway, I have seen a video in which diveplane11 shows a coming sound mod. If somebody could give me a hint which file to use I would be glad, PM is enough.

Each module third party has its own sound stored in its own folder module. It is hard to understand that just Mig21 has sounds associated with the default sound DCS WORLD. I think the sound that uses Mig21 aircraft SU25 used simultaneously. diveplane11 creates a luxurious sounds, perhaps in the near future and advise you with this problem. Unfortunately, other problems with the module diveplane11 difficult to solve.

<White Tiger>

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What I meant is there is something really weird going on with this module. I tried to change the file EngineJet.way and no matter what I put there I never get another sound to play in the sim, nor do I have any indication where the engine sounds come from. Sometimes people store such data in dlls so its possible that the sound is entirely unmoddable. Diveplane has not updated his youtube channel in 4 months either, so it's possible that he runs into the same problems.

I am quite new here but I get the impression that as the mod was initially developed by Novak/Beczl and the latter left the project. So a lot of code may lie in an abandoned state where the module is working but no one can change it, at least not without huge efforts.

That is to say I have the impression that the Mig-21 module is mostly there as the first attempt of a third party developer module, and that so much had to be learned along the way that the module will never realistically achieve the features of the later generation of modules.

Anyway, I love the Mig-21 but I dont think I will fly it a lot with these hairdryer sounds when I have for example the Mig-15 that sounds as real as it gets. Another 45€ down the toilet for me, hopefully it will be used for further development.

No I haven't. What do you mean exactly? This was more a question of software capabilities. Mig-21 download has a lot of sound files not used, so it should be obvious why people question this design.

it's still in early access so a lot of stuff will likely change in future

Anyway I found the files that the Mig-21 uses. It's the Su25BackEngine.wav Su25FrontEngine.wav under \Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines\

Possibly Su25AroundEngine.wav.

There may be other files involved but those two have the biggest impact.

That means the Mig-21 shares sounds with the Su25, which makes some sense as they use Tumanski engines.

Just wanted to share this in case someone wants a quick solution as I did, and hope this can be improved in the future.

Anyway I found the files that the Mig-21 uses. It's the Su25BackEngine.wav Su25FrontEngine.wav under \Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines\

Possibly Su25AroundEngine.wav.

There may be other files involved but those two have the biggest impact.

That means the Mig-21 shares sounds with the Su25, which makes some sense as they use Tumanski engines.

Just wanted to share this in case someone wants a quick solution as I did, and hope this can be improved in the future.

Yes.... And what gave ? Use audio samples of mig21? They will work? the question is whether overwriting files is important. Su-25 lose files.

<White Tiger>

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, that was only the first question. I tried various files and the sound seems too detached from what is going on. It first gets louder and then when the engine revs up, it gets quieter again. No matter what I do my brain refuses to connect the audio and the airplane I see. It's like everything goes through a filter. I give up.

Yes, that was only the first question. I tried various files and the sound seems too detached from what is going on. It first gets louder and then when the engine revs up, it gets quieter again. No matter what I do my brain refuses to connect the audio and the airplane I see. It's like everything goes through a filter. I give up.

I'm sorry .. I had it also tried .. it helps Diveplane11 if it's a problem for developers. Advise you ... you try to sound Diveplane11 Su-25 sound mod. Then changes and Mig-21 can be found in Lockonfiles such as audio production sound mod

<White Tiger>

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is a short video I made, it was recorded with the last version of all my accumulated changes. I tried to replace the jet sound with a real jet engine and proper afterburner kicking in, as well as reverberations and wind, as best as the limited 3 files allow.

It's not perfect, but whoever wants a link to a copy can just send me a PM.