Nvidia RTX cards and DCS - ?

I just got an email saying my 2080ti preorder from nvidia is delayed with no new shipping date :-(.

I was going to find a stock mission (like one of instant actions) and run it with my current 1080ti at full detail (I run VR) and look at the framerate, then duplicate it after I put in the 2080ti to compare. But that will be somewhat subjective. Is there a way to test it in DCS VR with harder data output that I could share? I want to know before I get the card so I can do it with the 1080ti before I take it out, thanks.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If DCS support DLSS, then there might be a reason to go with the 2070 if you're like me and sitting on a gtx970. But since I seriously doubt that will happen, I'll be snagging a 1080ti.

Agreed, until we get news on DLSS on DCS and other games I have no interest in the 2000 series cards. Now if DLSS becomes a much bigger deal and we can offload anti-aliasing that will be a big deal. This is just a horrible rushed launch.

Found a cool video talking about DLSS:

Edited by StandingCow

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Guys, sorry to bother you, but I'm totally lost now. I play exclusively on VR simulators, and I lack a little power with my GTX 1060. So I would like to change to a more powerful card, I was waiting for the new generation but what I read is not very positive. The problem is that in Switzerland the difference between a GTX1080TI and an RTX 2080 is 30 bucks. I don't know what to do.... And what can be positive for the future.

Thank you for your time!

Member of the Virtual Patrouille Suisse Since 2010. High and slow, fast and low.

Intel i9-12900k | 64GB RAM | RTX4090 | HP Rerverb G2 | T-50CM3 Base | WinWing Set

Guys, sorry to bother you, but I'm totally lost now. I play exclusively on VR simulators, and I lack a little power with my GTX 1060. So I would like to change to a more powerful card, I was waiting for the new generation but what I read is not very positive. The problem is that in Switzerland the difference between a GTX1080TI and an RTX 2080 is 30 bucks. I don't know what to do.... And what can be positive for the future.

Thank you for your time!

Right now the real answer is we don't know yet because of the rushed launch and lack of support for things like ray tracing and DLSS. Once games have time to implement these new features we will know the entire story. I play on VR as well and was really eager for the new cards, but much like flat screen gaming... we don't yet know how much of an impact DLSS will have. Something like DLSS should be huge for VR (offloading anti-aliasing to tensor cores).... but again it isn't implemented in many titles yet. Since the 1080ti and 2080 are so close in price I would go for the 2080 for the possibility of DLSS being a big deal, in the video I linked below if you factor in DLSS support the 2080 is 50% faster than a 1080ti which is pretty awesome.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Thank you for your time!

Since you currently have a 1060, you really have less of a dilemma. Anything you buy will give you a good boost in performance.

I would cautiously say that, given the small price difference, you have nothing to lose in getting the 2080. Yes, it has a little less VRAM, but you are future proof in terms of DLSS.

That being said, even as an owner of a 1080 ti, I was eagerly awaiting the next generation of cards, since not even this card fulfills my VR needs. It certainly still requires careful tweaking for you to get acceptable performance in VR.

I'm still hoping for VR benchmarks that can potentially justify an upgrade to a 2080ti.

Since you have much more to be gained from an upgrade, I'd actually even recommend going straight for the 2080 ti, if you want the ultimate in VR performance and only IF you can bear to part with that kind of cash.

Sure, we're missing the relevant benchmarks, but there isn't any doubt that it's certainly the fastest card available.

Edited by Boris

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I recommend the 1080 Ti over the 2080. DCS currently uses 10.4 of the 11 GB of VRAM mine has when playing on 104th. RAM and VRAM are something you never want to run out of. When you do, performance will take a massive hit in the form of stuttering and freezing.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

I recommend the 1080 Ti over the 2080. DCS currently uses 10.4 of the 11 GB of VRAM mine has when playing on 104th. RAM and VRAM are something you never want to run out of. When you do, performance will take a massive hit in the form of stuttering and freezing.

^yep

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thank you for your time!

I personally would not go from a 1080 Ti to a standard 2080.

I am going from 1080 Ti to 2080 Ti, remains to be seen how much performance improvement I will see in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I personally would not go from a 1080 Ti to a standard 2080.

I am going from 1080 Ti to 2080 Ti, remains to be seen how much performance improvement I will see in VR.

Well let us know. I, personally, don't believe it will be worth it - hope I am wrong. The recent benchmarks that have come out have really soured me to this series.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

If you are sticking with your preorder I admire your dedication and will be very curious about your performance.

I cancelled my preorder with EVGA and told them why.

I currently run a Titan Xp under water, even with selling my Titan, can't really make the numbers work. I would also need to buy a new waterblock from EK. I can play most current titles fully maxed at 4K60 barring supersampling and AA options. Right now I'm playing older games bought on Steam sales that I never played. It's really fun to crank up older games to 11 on graphics and mods at 4K and the Titan doesn't even break a sweat.

I can play DCS currently at 4K60 with everything maxed except MSAA, SSAA and global cockpit illumination. I get frame rate drops over the Vegas Strip and Dubai, other than that frame rate can go 100+ at 4K over the desert and at altitude with Vsync off.

If you are doing a new build and want the fastest single card solution the 2080 Ti is the way to go, that's why I bought my Titan 18 months ago. That being said, the prices on these cards need to drop below $1000 to really justify it. Used 1080 Ti's are cheap right now because everyone has upgrade fever.

Hopefully by this time next year prices will have dropped and we'll have a better outlook on RTX, ray tracing, and DLSS. But unless you're really excited to play new AAA games at max settings that actually support DLSS, of which DCS will most likely not be one, these cards are just too expensive. Nvidia really dropped the ball on this one. They've never released a new generation of cards with such a poor price performance ratio. What's really crazy is the people whining over internet rumors have pretty much been vindicated. This really wasn't a new generation, just incremental. It's like the alternating Iphone upgrade. And that's price/performance in US $ at MSRP. If you have to pay import duties, VAT, exchange rate, etc. forget it.

By the time developers have a good size library of RTX games for us to play, the next gen of cards will be out.

NNNNNOOOOOO SALE!

I read multiple articles, benchmarks, etc. Reliable sources are Jared Walton at PCgamer, Steve Bourke at Gamer's Nexus, and Paul's Hardware on YT. I even concurred with Jay 2cents conclusion, and I usually disregard his videos as they're sponsored and have a conflict of interest.

Thing is I always have the option to change my mind and still upgrade, but I'd do it with the KingPin version. EVGA XC Ultra 2080 Ti scored the exact same as the FE model direct from Nvidia. The EVGA has a better air cooler and doesn't run as hot, but I run a custom loop. Air cooler is irrelevant for me. I can just order one direct and save $50.

DCS and RTX 2080

Well, I took the plunge and bought a 2080 for my new system...

So, with most settings maxed, msaa max, birds max, preload at 60000, trees maxed, shadows max, on a 1080p 144hz monitor I am seeing 70-80FPS (Avg) on the ground on Caucuses in the Harrier, and on mp servers too. Goes to 100-115FPS in the air.

Detail is crisp and I override the shaders. Very smooth graphics. Runs the GPU in the 80% range.

Edited by Elliottc26

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gumbo's Flying Circus - Visit Twitch to Watch!

PC Specs: 2700x @ 4Ghz, 32Gb 3200 DDR4, 8GB Palit RTX 2080, Intel SSD7 NvMe, Samsung 860 Evo SSD, AOC G2460PF 144hz 1ms 1080p Freesync monitor, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackHat :pilotfly:

Well, I took the plunge and bought a 2080 for my new system...

So, with most settings maxed, msaa max, birds max, preload at 60000, trees maxed, shadows max, on a 1080p 144hz monitor I am seeing 70FPS (Avg) on the ground on Caucuses in the Harrier, and on mp servers too. Goes to 100FPS in the air.

Detail is crisp and I override the shaders. Very smooth graphics. Runs the GPU in the 80% range.

Not very impressive.. I get close to those fps on my 1080Ti on a 3440x1440 res. What's your CPU and Mem?

Not very impressive.. I get close to those fps on my 1080Ti on a 3440x1440 res. What's your CPU and Mem?

Well benchmarks put the 2080 performing at around the same as a 1080ti. Sometimes a little better, sometimes worse. It would be sensible if they hadn't shifted the prices up, but I'm actually quite sure that prices are what they are to help move the overstock of 10 series cards.

Well the 2080 I bought was around the same price as the equiv 1080ti so was easy to make the purchase

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gumbo's Flying Circus - Visit Twitch to Watch!

PC Specs: 2700x @ 4Ghz, 32Gb 3200 DDR4, 8GB Palit RTX 2080, Intel SSD7 NvMe, Samsung 860 Evo SSD, AOC G2460PF 144hz 1ms 1080p Freesync monitor, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackHat :pilotfly: