totally screwed up controls - HELPPPPP!!!!!!

lesthegrngo

So, I have been trying to get on top of DCS A-10C, and am doing the training sessions. I was finding the flying hard, struggling to keep control in what I thought was simple situations.

I have the Warthog stick and HOTAS, plus the Saitek Pro-Flight pedals, and a quick check of the controls seemed to show everything was in order. However I started doubting it when I tried using the toe brakes on the pedals, no matter how many times I tried to assign them I couldn't get them to work. I also found that using the rudder pedals seemed to give me problems, and were inconsistent

At the suggestion of one of my friends, I used exterior view to see what the control inputs were doing, and saw immediately that the toe brakes were actually operating the ailerons, but only if they were pressed together. further investigation showed that for instance no matter how many times I tried to select the right HOTAS throttle lever to control, yes the right throttle, I could not assign it.

So how come it's screwed up so badly? And why does the control assignation panel not allow me to choose the correct axis / button?

It seems that I cannot separate the controls, is there a way to redefine everything to get it back as it should be?

Cheers

Les

Delete c:/users/USERNAME/saved games/dcs.whatever/config/input/a-10c

This will restore the default settings. The open the control window, select a-10c -> axis commands, click on the column containing your rudder pedals, then click the "clear category" button to remove the default assignments which will put pitch/roll on your toe brakes.

You can then manually bind the left and right toe brakes and rudder and you'll be good to go. You may need to invert the toe brake axis, do this by selecting the toe brake axis, clicking the "axis tune" button and checking the "invert" option.

Edited by feefifofum
speeling

Strange, the file doesn't exist

in the /config folder, there is nothing at all. In fact, checking on the files in the USER folder, there seems to be nothing that has modified today anywhere in it

Any other potential locations?

*****EDIT*****

all the control input devices are connected via a USB hub, does this make a difference to how they are perceived by the PC?

Cheers

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo

when DCS finds a new module it will often, if not always, assign multiple controller axes to the same command, so for example, your rudder, pitch, yaw and throttle controls will have the joystick, the throttle and the rudder pedals all assigned to them.

Just go into the controller setup / axis commands and clear all of the assignments that you don't need, so that you just have, for example, only the pedals controlling the rudder and only the stick controlling the roll and pitch.

The aircraft, whatever it is, should then become infinitely more easy to control :)

I have the Saitek pedals too. So, you have clicked on left brake, clicked "axis assign", and then pushed on the left toe brake, and it doesn't recognize the input? If its recognizing the input for the toe brake, the next thing you'll need to do is click on "axis tune" for that axis and put a check mark in the "invert" box. If you don't have the "invert" box checked with the Saitek pedals, your toe brakes will be on all the time and only release when you press them down. :)

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

These days when binding my controls, I just go to the options, switch to the axis and clear the ones I don't want set.

You can move your pedals, toe brakes, joystick etc and see them moving when just looking at the menu axis page. (A little line moves under the control when you move it around)

If you see the control moving in two spots, it's not set right and just clear the one set you don't want.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

If you change the port that the controller is connected to it will change the controller ID to DCS and will mess up your settings. Also, IMHO, you should delete every setting for a new aircraft and set each and every control to you liking.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I cleared the controller settings for the roll, pitch, rudder and brakes, and then went back in and re entered them.

As before, when I use the toe brakes, it operates the ailerons. Doing some more diagnostics, it seems that the DCS is recognising the toe brakes on the Saitek pedals as the same controller as the Warthog roll axis, i.e. both controls are 'seen' by the PC as Joy X axis.

Windows shows each controller as a separate entity, and checking them using DIView also shows them as being recognised as different inputs. It seems it is only DCS that is getting confused!

The result is that I cannot use the pedals, which is a bit of a bummer as I bought them exactly for that. Is this specific to my installation, or am I missing some drivers or patch?

Cheers

Les

Two more suggestions. Unlikely as it may seem, they are still worth excluding as possibilities

1. there are two sets of controls for the A10c, one for Sim and one for Game. It is worth checking that the switch in the gameplay options is set to use the profile that you are setting up.

2. check the aircraft bank left and aircraft bank right commands, to make sure that they don't have anything in them apart from keyboard commands. These are presumably provided for peeps that don't have a joystick/HOTAS and want to fly using the keyboard, but it will let you map the commands to buttons, as well, so worth checking that your rudder toe brake controls haven't somehow got in there. this would rely on there being a switch on each of your toe brakes, as well as an axis, so possibly not that likely. My rudder pedals don't have any switches on the toe brakes, but i suppose that it is possible that yours do.

One suggestion is that you select the 'All' option in the drop down box, and select the first cell in the column for your rudder pedals. Then clear the whole column with 'clear category'. your rudder pedals should only have 3 assignments, for yaw and each of the left and right wheel brakes, so it won't take long to set those up again and at least you will know that your pedals haven't been assigned to anything else. Also do that for the axis commands section, before remapping.

I checked, I have it on 'sim' mode

It's got worse- now the right hand toe brake gives roll left plus up elevator, and the left hand roll right plus down elevator

At the moment I am starting to think I am going to have to pull the plugs on everything and start from scratch, adding one component at the time, following your instructions above

real head scratcher, this!

Les

No problem asking, you're trying to help! Definitely Ailerons, as one goes up the other goes down

Cheers

Les

Can you post a screenshot of the control settings page where you're trying to edit the input commands? Maybe we'll be able to see something there.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I did some screenshots, but not sure how to paste them

Whatever, DCS reads the toe brakes as the JOY X axis and JOY Y axis, despite them being completely independent axes

I am going to try another game to see if it is the same

EDIT ******* yes, the problem exists in DCS World. Although DCS World does not have the option of wheel brakes, the right toe brake pedal causes a pitch up, and the left toe brake pedal causes roll left

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo

I did some screenshots, but not sure how to paste them

Whatever, DCS reads the toe brakes as the JOY X axis and JOY Y axis, despite them being completely independent axes

I am going to try another game to see if it is the same

EDIT ******* yes, the problem exists in DCS World. Although DCS World does not have the option of wheel brakes, the right toe brake pedal causes a pitch up, and the left toe brake pedal causes roll left

Les

I'm pretty sure there is something you're not selecting right on the control settings page. The behavior you're describing sounds like a default config setup. In order to post a screenshot, you'll need to upload it to a third-party photo hosting site and then post the link to that image here. The control settings interface in the DCS series is kinda clunky, so it takes some getting used to when you're getting things set up. I'm sure its not a major issue with your hardware, probably just something you're not doing quite right. We should be able to see that in your screenshot and get you going.

Some more troubleshooting done, which shows that the issue is to do with DCS. In a racing game I was able to assign clutch and brake controls to the left and right toe brakes respectively, and the game was reporting them as 'JOY3 X' and 'JOY3 Y' respectively. When I assigned the accelerator to the joystick forward pitch axis, it reported it as 'JOY1 Y'.

So it seems that DCS is unable to differentiate between the input devices when assigning a particular axis, so the Y axis on the joystick and the pedals are seen as one.

As I said, both DCS world and DSC A-10C have the same issue

Cheers

Les

I think I see your problem. On the Gameplay tab of your options screen, do you have either of the "Game" settings checked? The default has those set to unchecked, so you're running in Sim mode. If you want to fly the A-10C in sim mode, leave those boxes unchecked. Then go back to your Controls tab, click on the box next to Aircraft, and select A-10C Sim. Once you do that, you should be able to get your controls all set up and working. When you have A-10C Game selected like you do, you're making changes to the control profile only for flying the A-10C in Game mode, which has a simplified flight model and avionics.

I have managed to get it to work; I don't know what I did, other than just repeat the steps recommended above a few times (after restarting the game), and finally it seemed to accept it

While I'm happy it's working, I have to say it's frustrating that I don't know what fixed in case it returns, also that I can't post here what fixed it - you guys did a lot to help me and this seems a poor way to repay it!

Anyway, I hope that it isn't a recurrent issue

**** EDIT **** the nose steering toggle is already allocated to one of the joystick buttons - Doh!

Cheers for all the assistance guys

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo

No problem lesthegrngo. I wonder if DCS just temporarily wasn't able to access your Saved Games folder for some reason. If it happens again, try checking the Saved Games Folder properties for your DCS installation and see if it has gotten set to "read only". Sometimes when there's a Windows update, it can mess with all kinds of settings that it shouldn't be touching.

Glad you got it figured out! :D

Now you mention it, this morning the blue windows update screen was doing it's evil work when I powered up. Hope that's not going to mess things up every time......

Anyway, what a difference! I was starting to wonder whether I'd completely lost it. Shame I'm still such a dunce on all the systems though! Still, give it 20 years or so and I should have that nailed

Cheers again for all the help!

Les