Engine Failure during normal flight

I will try that. Although it seems it should put more stress on? !! The fight we had was low and slow and you never blew your engine.

You must be on to something ...!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I get what you guys are saying. That’s why it’s just a theory, I have no evidence to base the theory off of, just observation. I usually carry 40% fuel like “Voodoo Man” but I’ve still experienced it. “Hub” you are correct you would think that you would get some type of indication prior to failure (like in reality). I’ve been flying professionally for 20 years in the real world. I’ve never seen or heard of an engine failing the way this particular failure occurs. Only mechanical failures cause the prop to seize and even a catastrophic failure will run extremely rough (tearing itself apart) prior to the seizure (I know from experience). Prop engines don’t usually just stop unless you pull mixture or run out of fuel. Even a blown engine will keep spinning, it will run rough and have a dramatic loss of power with large quantities of oil and water escaping but usually won’t seize until the power gets really low and the mechanics stop the prop momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Campbell

why dont try to take 40 % fuel and keep rpm to max at ALL times? and see if the stoppages go away?

i really feel that the engine gets too stressed with lower rpm, and that gets multiplied by weight of the plane.

if there's a bug, in my opinion it's too easily "stress-able" engine. not a random failure that comes out of nowhere, caused by something else in the system.

i took that point of view, and started to minimize the stress by the means i've allready told you, AND the stoppages dissappeared. go figure..

I’m gonna give this a try as well and see how it works out.

it seems it should put more stress on?

i see what you mean. i dont know exactly how the manifold pressure regulator works in real life, and even less how it's modelled in the game, but setting the rpm lower, the manifold pressure increases form coarser prop pitch.

it increases from giving it more throttle ofcourse, but it feels like the engine is more sensitive to damage from pressure changes from the prop pitch side of things, than changes from the throttle.

thats why i stopped fiddling with the rpm lever all together..

also one thing to remember, having the rpm lower, the engine reacts slower. this could cause the pilot to overstress the engine by mistake, making faster throttle movements than what is good for the engine.

so it's good to remember to allways move the throttle slowly.

still, the only reason i lower the rpm from max (in a fight), is when im about to stall, or even stall a bit, to prevent too fast rpm changes and overrevving the engine, mainly to get better control of the plane when in stall speeds. but even then, just a little bit down from max setting. the lever in the cockpit moves very little, like an inch max.

Edited by voodooman

i see what you mean. i dont know exactly how the manifold pressure regulator works in real life, and even less how it's modelled in the game, but setting the rpm lower, the manifold pressure increases form coarser prop pitch.

it increases from giving it more throttle ofcourse, but it feels like the engine is more sensitive to damage from pressure changes from the prop pitch side of things, than changes from the throttle.

thats why i stopped fiddling with the rpm lever all together..

also one thing to remember, having the rpm lower, the engine reacts slower. this could cause the pilot to overstress the engine by mistake, making faster throttle movements than what is good for the engine.

so it's good to remember to allways move the throttle slowly.

still, the only reason i lower the rpm from max (in a fight), is when im about to stall, or even stall a bit, to prevent too fast rpm changes and overrevving the engine, mainly to get better control of the plane when in stall speeds. but even then, just a little bit down from max setting. the lever in the cockpit moves very little, like an inch max.

Gave your settings a try. I liked them! However the first sortie I flew on burning skies, using 40% fuel, MAX RPM and 52” MP. I also pre broke the wire for WEP. Took off and climbed out at 200mph. Reached 12,000 ft leveled off all things green and looking good. Flew about another 2 min and BAM! Engine blows. I had to dead stick it in for a landing. I never even got about 52”MP. Second sortie, same thing except this time I didn’t pre break the wire for WEP. Flew as normal with 52”-61”MP and Max RPM (never used WEP) Had two kills and lots of maneuvering. No issue lasted a good hour and returned to base for a landing. I personally never use WEP because it seems to me that when I break that wire my engine will blow regardless if I use it or not. If I do use it just briefly in flight and well within the limits it will still blow.

Edited by Campbell

that 200mph is too slow for 52"

if you climb that slow, i would keep the manifold at 44-45"

i climb shallow climb that i start from 300mph 52" when i drop to 260mph i drop to 48" and when i drop to 230 i stop the climb and drop momentarily to 44" to cool and gain speed again at level flight.

when i get past 250 i increase to 48" and when about 270-280 back to 52" to get back to 300mph.

allways max rpm.

Used these settings twice now. And they seem to work great. Engine temps stay within predictable ranges and don’t appear to spike. I have had no engine seizes. I don’t think it’s the way a normal pilot would fly, but it’s made the sim much more enjoyable, having a handle on the engine management .

Now waiting for the jug.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk