Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Rift S owners - if you are not getting the performance you would expect from your system....UPDATE YOUR MOBO BIOS!

I started flying in DCS after a long break when the CV1 first came out - I have never had a smooth experience flying in DCS using VR, and taxiing on the ground was a terrible stutter-fest.

I checked and I had not updated my motherboard bios since I had the PC built back in 2015! Asus have released new bios for my Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha last year - Version 3801.

Well after updating my Bios, and plugging the Rift S into a mobo USB 3.0 slot..it is like I flying a different sim! Absolutely smooth flight close to the ground, even taxiing..I have NEVER had a smooth ground experience in DCS.

I am not gonna lie...I may have shed a tear or two as I taxiied out, took off and flew around low level in the Tomcat, Harrier and the Black Shark SMOOTHLY. THIS is what I have been after all these years!! Yea a few tiny stutters but wow. Looking out the side window at 500 KIAS and it is smooooth. No tracking issues or view resetting either anymore. Yea the odd white flash - but TBH it could be pink with purple polka dot flashes and I wouldn't care right now.

Now I can see if the Devs get this performance, and have plebs like me complaining about DCS and stutters etc. etc. they must be like wtf is he on about? Also if Oculus are bringing out a firmware/software update to improve the performance even more - crikey.

1x Happy Camper! :thumbup:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Pappavis - loooong time no see :) (about 13 years, I think)

LOL, so is my avatar here.. been using it >13 years.

You still doing ATC Strasbourg? ;)

you don't have to put Oculus Home on your C drive - you can choose where to put it

I huess, its a reinstall soon :(.

I agree with everything you said, though - but I didn't like the audio

When i start flying the tinny sound is annoying, however the complete freedom of nothin on your ears and the d binaural effect of the Rift S adds to immersion. With my Vice I wore external headphones, due to lack of microfone for Discord teamchats.

I have an Reverb on order, just in case..

Edited by pappavis

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

Also note, that Rift S doesn't fit bigger faces. Those with oblong faces have problems with light leak (because its not possible to cover nose and have vertical sweet-spot at the same time). Also those with deep set eyes have really big problems with reduced horizontal FOV.

For me horizontal FOV is only 76 degrees. But with removed facial interface i have whooping 94 degrees horizontal FOV.

So if you are not average dude, try Rift S before buying

Out of interest, how do you measure the exact fov mate? My ipd is 69 and my fov is also great without the faceplate on - actually it was slightly better than cv1 with the faceplate on anyways and it is much, much better. I also wrapped a cut piece of craft foam right around the headset to prevent light coming in and just blu-tacked it on. Crude, but works until a 3rd party brings something else out

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

@VampireNZ, what about double vision during dogfight? Is the issue gone as well?

I do still get a little bit of the ASW during dogfight, flyby view etc. But that was one of the first things I checked and previously I could never view a flyby without bad double-vision/ghosting. But yesterday I did manage a few in the Tomcat at Nevada that were smooth the whole way past which was awesome. Dogfight was better but still there, but not as bad.

The ASW is still pretty much based on your settings thou I think.

But it has improved heaps moving your head around in the cockpit, and as I said taxiing along the ground is perfectly smooth now, whereas before the ground was a ghosty stuttering mess.

But yeah overall the improvement is literally amazing - completely new experience flying DCS in VR smoothly!

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

reading a lot of good things about the rift S here.

I thought the improvement was marginal since the resolution didn't change that much from CV1, but the comments here tell a different story

from the people who have the rift S, specially the ones coming from the og rift: do you have any difficulty reading anything? I mean, I'm afraid to buy it and then realize it's like 50% better but some stuff are still unreadable.

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

Some labels beside switches are still a bit difficult to read, but I think it is more of a texture problem than a rift s itself: uh-1h central horizontal panel for example is still a bit difficult to read, while f-5 cockpit is a lot clearer compared to CV1. I do not have newer modules like f-18, but I think older textures originally not intended for VR are the hardest to read. I hope they will be improved sooner or later (a-10c and ka-50 are on their way so I think we'll see something also for other older modules). No problems in reading MFCDs or radio frequencies at all. Just some labels written beside switches.

Gauges are easier to read comparatively. Also I have no trouble reading the Harrier MFD's at 1.5 PD without leaning forward and they have pretty small text (VREST page etc).

I also use the engine tape numbers on the F-14 as a bit of a yardstick for readability, and in the CV1 the numbers are not really readable from default position - Rift S yes readable (for me).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't have much trouble reading instruments, unless the text is pretty small print - but then I can't read small print anyway without my reading glasses and I do not wear them when in my Rift S.

I could not go back to my Rift CV1 now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Flashing problem is really overrated. Some reviewer on Youtube saw it once and decided to emphasize it to get more views. Now happy haters, who don't even own rift s, run around forums telling stories about how bad flashing problem is. That's how internetz work these days

The flashing makes me flinch like someone flicking popcorn at me, happens once every 10 minutes or so.

My only complaint about the S is that the S must stand for Sucky Sound because it's like listening to the game through headphones someone else is wearing, and putting on my own headphones makes me feel like I stepped back in time to the launch Vive days where you had to load all this crap on your head.

Yea the sound is pretty terrible. After the latest patch they improved it somewhat and I though meh it's not so bad now as I listened to the first few minutes in Vader Immortal....then plugged in my headphones and started the first few minutes again.....and ummm yeah - no comparison, the Rift S integrated strap speaker sound is real bad!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

there is such an easy fix for the audio thing.

Just get a Koss Porta Pro for cheap money and add this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3615447

Fantastic sound, super comfy to wear and no "extra device" to put on your head....

Or that one, ready to clip:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bionik-Mantis-Headphone-PlayStation-VR/dp/B0735X5M4X

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Out of interest, how do you measure the exact fov mate? My ipd is 69 and my fov is also great without the faceplate on - actually it was slightly better than cv1 with the faceplate on anyways and it is much, much better. I also wrapped a cut piece of craft foam right around the headset to prevent light coming in and just blu-tacked it on. Crude, but works until a 3rd party brings something else out

For FOV measurement i use rov tes tool

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359389601

Hey, that's pretty neat :)

Good way to compare headsets instead of the daft 'through the lens' videos :thumbup:

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

I's seen many, many comments on the poor quality of sound and how easy it is to rectify by adding ear buds or whatever, but I have yet to read anything about boom mikes or a microphone pickup on the Rift headset. What do you guys using these VR headsets do about being able to communicate with others while online??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I's seen many, many comments on the poor quality of sound and how easy it is to rectify by adding ear buds or whatever, but I have yet to read anything about boom mikes or a microphone pickup on the Rift headset. What do you guys using these VR headsets do about being able to communicate with others while online??

I only do single player so can not comment on the microphone talking to others.

I do use it with Voice Attack/Vaicom Pro and it works very well recognizing my commands, have not had any issue there.

Don B

I only do single player so can not comment on the microphone talking to others.

I do use it with Voice Attack/Vaicom Pro and it works very well recognizing my commands, have not had any issue there.

Good to know-thanks !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I bought the Rift S a while back, but then didn't have any chance messing with it. Today, I just tried it out for a bit. It is much sharper then my old CV1, however my FPS are certainly suffering. I am sitting at 40 frames with 1.3 PD. Is that about average for an GTX 1080?

Also, my right eye seems to be blurry while my left is clear. I guess my 58 IPD doesnt quite work well with it. Its bearable, but not ideal.

I must admit, I read a little through this post, but was not able to catch up with all posts. Have there been any performance TIPS to enhance the FPS with the Rift S in DCS?

many thanks

Edited by tribundf

Also, my right eye seems to be blurry while my left is clear. I guess my 58 IPD doesnt quite work well with it. Its bearable, but not ideal.

Hi tribundf, I had exactly the same problem (right eye seems to be blurry), sorry, it may sound stupid, but in my case it was the lens that was dirty or some condensation (I don´t know), then I wiped it off with a flannel and it was perfect.

Rgds

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

GTX 1080 to GTX 2080 Ti, worth it?

Hi all,

I have a I7 6700k, Gtx 1080 , in your opinion switching from 1080 to a 2080 Ti would be worth it with DCS? (with Rift S)

I mean better definition , FPS, etc.

Thank you!

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

it depends on what you expect.

Yes, higher fps and prolly higher settings, but the price you have to pay for that is ridiculous.

I would wait for the next generation of GPUs (which I assume will be even more expensive).

As long as there is no competitor for Nvidia, we will have to pay...

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup: