Advice Please - First module to invest in?

BuckarooUK

Folks,

I'd be grateful for some advice.

I've only just returned to sims after a long time away. Longer than I care to admit...does anyone remember Falcon 4?

Anyway, recently returned and immediately bought the Helicopter package and have begun to learn flying the UH1, which I'm enjoying.

Now the P51 supplied doesn't seem to have any weapons and the SU25 doesn't do it for me. So which aero should I invest my time and children's inheritance on? I gather some are bug ridden and others require you to click ten buttons, just to fire the guns. So which one will offer a manageable learning curve whilst allowing me to challenge myself in both solo and multiplayer?

Thanks

My advise would be any warbird, flaming cliffs 3 package, F5E, F-86, F-14. Although "ten" is a bit dramatic, I get what you mean. The "others [A-10c, JF-17, M-2000c, AV8B Harrier,...] require you to click ten buttons, just to fire the guns". I have not tried the hornet or f-16.

Intel i7-10700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080 8GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, LG32GK850G 2560x1440 Monitor, Noctua u12a cooler

They are, so skip it if you want controls that represent real planes. Just know that some aircraft DO require a lot to configure, target, and launch weapons.

Intel i7-10700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080 8GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, LG32GK850G 2560x1440 Monitor, Noctua u12a cooler

... So which one will offer a manageable learning curve whilst allowing me to challenge myself in both solo and multiplayer?

I like the F-5E as a first aircraft, it allows one to learn the basics of flight and old-school navigation, while being challenging and capable of both A-A and A-G. It has a primitive Radar, that is easy to understand if fairly unhelpful in actual combat. Here is a video series that may help you to visualize it better:

The F-18 is a more capable aircraft, being 30 years newer, but it will teach you little about actual handling of the aircraft, as its computer handles it for you.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The "others [A-10c, JF-17, M-2000c, AV8B Harrier,...] require you to click ten buttons, just to fire the guns". I have not tried the hornet or f-16.

All those modules only require master arm, select gun/arm gun and you can fire, with exception of the JF-17, where you have to load the gun too, leading to a max of 3-4 mouse button presses to fire.

Flaming Cliffs 3 (if you are happy with the Su25T non-clickable cockpit) is the best bang for the buck due to the number of planes you get.

For a fully clickable cockpit, a lot depends on the type of flying you want to do. All modules have a degree of complexity that requires patience, and muscle memory to learn the workflows and steps. So your best bet is to buy a module that you personally are drawn to that can perform the tasks you are interested in (A2A, A2G, Carrier Ops, etc)

I did consider the FC3 package , but I gather that the controls and flight models are generic....they don't actually represent the real planes?

Oh, no. Wrt flight model they are on par or just of little less quality (for A-10A and Su-25) meaning they do represent well the RL aircraft flight wise.

It's the lack of clickable cockpit and simplified systems and avionics that make them easier to get into. I felt you could benefit from that.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I am in the same boat. I got so confused with super high fidelity addons. They are nice don't get me wrong. I still having hard time with FC3 - F15C (trying to learn the radar from youtube videos). I would suggest that FC3 is the one to go with.

Maybe after that L-39 (I got that too - I still can not pass the Kursant Campaign Level 1) - instructor wants everything perfect...yesh.

FC3 and then L39+Kursant Campaign --- that is what I was able to gather from researching all the threads on here including reddit.

Edited by spacefox

Specs: i7-5820K - 4.4 Ghz OC, 64GB Ram, RTX 2070 Super, Rift S

How about the A-4E? I'm new to DCS so my opinion isn't worth much, but from what little I've played, it seems well done and it's free.

Here's a vid from Grim Reapers on where to get it and how to install it:

Perhaps someone with more experience can compare this module to the others that have been recommended so far.

Great question with great advice.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

How about the A-4E? I'm new to DCS so my opinion isn't worth much, but from what little I've played, it seems well done and it's free.

Here's a vid from Grim Reapers on where to get it and how to install it:

Perhaps someone with more experience can compare this module to the others that have been recommended so far.

I like the A-4E but I believe it doesn't work on the newest versions of DCS.

F5E and the L-39 is worth a look too.

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1

Depends on what you are after.

Warbirds? All of them are beautifully done. You can't go wrong with the Spitfire.

Don't go for the FC3 planes - better invest your time in learning a full fidelity module properly. More rewarding.

If you like jets but don't like the steep learning curve, The Sabre is like a jet powered P-51, absolute blast to fly. You can fight some epic battles against MIG-15s. The F5E is more modern and versatile, but stillvery easy to fly and learn.

The MIG-21 looks daunting with all the switches, but man, that plane has tons of character.

If you do have the time and will to learn about systems and whatnot, the Hornet is a great choice. Or, if you're not a pussy, choose the F-14 instead :D Just kidding, both are great. Carrier ops is the pinnacle of airmanship, you can never get bored with that.

You can't really go wrong with any of the modules. Choose the one that speaks to you, one that makes you want to learn and keep learning. Because you'll soon find out why many call DCS a study-sim.

You can't really go wrong with any of the modules. Choose the one that speaks to you, one that makes you want to learn and keep learning. Because you'll soon find out why many call DCS a study-sim.

^ Well said, Sir. Very well said indeed.

Some more suggestions...

Open up the mission editor and look at the different aircraft you are interested in (although remember some are only AI). Use the "load out" tab to see what sorts of munitions they carry. Do you want guns? Lots of missiles? A single massive bomb? Rockets?

For warbirds: FW 190 A-8 Anton... more forgiving to newcomers, robust, tons of firepower.

For jets: F-5E-3 is good. M-2000C is also fairly straightforward for a new starter if you want something more modern.

Oh, and if you do go for something complex (e.g. A-10C, AV-8B or F/A-18C), then take it slow. Learn to fly first, and then concentrate on navigation, then radio-comms and then one weapon at a time. Finally, try air-to-air refuelling and carrier landings. If you try everything at once, you'll quickly get overwhelmed, frustrated and disinterested.

But, once you've mastered all that, you'll be mentally-ready for helicopters. ;)

I like the A-4E but I believe it doesn't work on the newest versions of DCS.

I'm using it in the most up-to-date stable version without problems. Admittedly, all I've been doing is learning to fly & navigate and haven't done anything complex, so there may be problems that I haven't yet discovered.

It is a blast to fly, though.

I would say the hornet. It's a very capable aircraft and it's one you can grow into. It's also a aircraft that you can do everything in ,Ground pound, Air to Air, Carrier ops, Sead, AAR. Anyway welcome and enjoy :thumbup: :pilotfly:

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas.