Ground Handling

By the way, what's a good throttle and pitch setting for taxiing? I skipped the training ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

Squiffy, as you might or might not have noticed on controls indicator window, pushing and holding button/key doesn't yield 100% braking force immediately, but increases it from 0 to 100 in linear matter. That's DCS way of overcoming digital controllers limitations when operating analog systems.

Thus you can sort-of-modulate brakes in the Spit by tapping the button shorter or longer. It won't be elegant and smooth application, but is totally sufficient, both during taxiing and landings.

P.S. - just for the record, you did check the special options after installing the module and disabled auto-rudder and takeoff help, didn't you? One of them is on by default and can cause more harm than good when learning how to tame the taildragger.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

By the way, what's a good throttle and pitch setting for taxiing? I skipped the training ;)

For taxing prop lever does not matter if you don't rev higher then 1500 rpm. Prop lever should be always at max on ground because other reasons.

And this is not pitch lever it is Prop Rpm lever. Why RPM not PITCH lever because it will not affect pitch of prop blades at low rpm

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Squiffy, as you might or might not have noticed on controls indicator window, pushing and holding button/key doesn't yield 100% braking force immediately, but increases it from 0 to 100 in linear matter. That's DCS way of overcoming digital controllers limitations when operating analog systems.

Thus you can sort-of-modulate brakes in the Spit by tapping the button shorter or longer. It won't be elegant and smooth application, but is totally sufficient, both during taxiing and landings.

P.S. - just for the record, you did check the special options after installing the module and disabled auto-rudder and takeoff help, didn't you? One of them is on by default and can cause more harm than good when learning how to tame the taildragger.

Agree, The way it is implemented in DCS is sufficient for smooth taxing and braking

Only thing is required, practice practice practice .......... practice.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Wow great points guys. Thanks! So how does the rpm lever work? I have heard of "constant speed" props but what is going on if it's not "variable pitch." Sounds like some homework but fine with me. ;) Oh, I need to check that default setting. Also, CH control manager will run if you turn the Win10 power settings off. But it sounds like I need to learn the proper brake lever.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

So with a constant speed prop you basically set a desired RPM and the Constant Speed Unit will automatically adjust the blade pitch angle to try and maintain it; I say try because there will be times when you simply aren't producing enough power to spin the prop fast enough to generate your desired RPM, no matter how fine the prop pitch may be, or alternatively if you slam the throttle open fast enough the surge in power will come in faster than the CSU is able to operate and you briefly over-rev whilst the prop attempts to coarsen the prop to keep it in check.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't re-read the thread if this has been covered already...

I struggled a lot with the Spit in ground handling, take-off and landing. It was really frustrating but I stuck with it - probably have several dozen hours into it - no combat - just ground ops, touch and goes, take-off, etc.

Still not consistent: sometimes great for a number of operations and then all of a sudden it felt like back to square one.

Reviewing tacview data - nothing really obvious...

Yesterday I upgraded my AMD RX580 to a 2070 Super. Night and day difference after maybe 20-30 mins of experimenting. Much more consistent on all counts - aircraft feels like it's doing what it's told, in the groove if you know what I mean.

So, for those struggling - if you are tolerating low FPS while trying to master this beastie then that might be a part of the problem. Turn down all the detail, reduce res and try it out to see if it makes a difference.

HTH

• Like 1

Extra FPS on the ground, switch off mirrors I now have a switch on the hotas mapped for it

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg