DCS Carrier Discussion

Airhunter

Just detailing my experience from my time on the ocean. For every low vis video on YouTube, there’s 50 high vis videos that never got recorded.

Again, even if the vis is less than 3/4 mile, the ship and IFLOLS could be visible with its bright lights. Vis less than 3/4 of a mile is just not very common.

Vis has to be wayyyy more severe than even that for LSOs to not even see the taxi light.

If you mean low vis (1ish mile visibility or better), that is no problem.

Enjoyed the discussion!

Just ironic timing I guess...just had this video come across my feed. Tomcat dudes during OIF. Vis got pretty nasty at one point I guess. You can hear them call contact at less than 2K in some instances.

Just to add some visual/audio to your discussion.

Edited by Rainmaker

Just ironic timing I guess...just had this video come across my feed. Tomcat dudes during OIF. Vis got pretty nasty at one point I guess. You can hear them call contact at less than 2K in some instances.

Great video. Thanks for finding it. Since it was from 2003, some things must have changed.

We don’t pass weight on the ball call.

I imagine those guys were clara ship but they just said clara.

Like I said, things change both the pilots and LSOs did a great job.

Also, those taxi lights on do help a lot. The LSOS can visually spot it much farther than the PLAT picks it up.

Edited by G B

Great video indeed! Oh, how I want that SC! :thumbup:

As a former Plane Captain with an F-14 squadron and who worked mostly night ops, I will say this, the lights on the Island were not very bright, but you could still tell the difference from the aft, bow and center of the ship as far as lighting goes. Starting your aircraft on the fantail for night ops you can see shapes, it is not 100% pitch black but it is damn close. If your Trouble Shooter tried to signal you with his bare hands you would not be able to see his motions under the plane. flashlights with gels in them are definitely needed. faces are unrecognizable unless within a foot or two. under the superstructure a little different. it is lit, not as much as those other videos. The exposure is bumped up a lot but you are able to make out faces, objects and see where you are walking i would say a half moon night but with a yellow tint. looking at the photo above, it is spot on. that light is there to assist but not by much. you definitely would be night blinded if anyone used white light in that area. A little antidote to show how much the light helps. If we launched from Cat 3 an F- 14A there at night It would illuminate the faces of those standing under the superstructure. and that it around 50' away. so the AB at 50' has more lumens than the light from the Island.

This video is closer to the exposure

Thanks for the feedback.

What about the color of the deck lighting?. It looks more yellow in the photo! and in the video it's orange(little bit reddish). What corresponds to reality?.:book:

EDIT

I edited the photo with Photoshop and packed the original next to it. What do you think of that?.

deck.thumb.jpg.3a91e0ce6f5f11bb59d1708a9f1dab17.jpg

Edited by Falkaroth

i9-11900K, alle Kerne 5100 MHz  –  Asus ROG Maximus XIII Extreme – 64 GB DDR4 3733 MHz Cl17 – NVIDIA Rtx Asus Strix Oc 2080 super (4090 später 🕹️) – Hotas Warthog mit Drossel – Vpc Mongoos T50CM2 & Vpc 200 mm Verlängerung – Vpc ACE Sammlung Pedale -Trackir5

Oh my god! The first tomcat landing was really scary. Were they actually seeing something?? What a tremendous discipline from all the crew and pilots. I guess the video doesn't represent well how much the LSO saw. In the video they talked like they see them but there is nothing there.

Edited by hein22

Stay safe

Does anyone know what time supercarrier

will be available?

Tomorrow hopefully. Keep mashing that F5 button!

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

It has been the 20th of may for over 6 hours now for crying out loud in New Zealand

Give us our Supercarrier!

Ahhhhhh! :ranting: (I miss a "pulling hairs out"-emoji)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

It has been the 20th of may for over 6 hours now for crying out loud in New Zealand

That'll teach you for living in the future :)

I reckon it'll be getting on for another day before it drops, so you might want to ease up on the F5 key

Hi,

In many videos you can see the hangars, the pushabck on the elevators and how they work. In the manual is not mentioned any of these functions, does anyone have any idea how it will work?

Thanks

Nemo me impune Laecessit

Hi,

In many videos you can see the hangars, the pushabck on the elevators and how they work. In the manual is not mentioned any of these functions, does anyone have any idea how it will work?

Thanks

Pushback only works for AI planes. The only way for a player to use the elevators is if all of the parking spots are blocked/filled except one elevator and the player starts on that elevator. That's the only way to face the deck. Then, an AI has to come in for a landing and taxi to that open elevator spot next to the player. To make room for other planes, that should activate the elevator for the AI to taxi to the hangar. This way the player can taxi also.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Pushback only works for AI planes. The only way for a player to use the elevators is if all of the parking spots are blocked/filled except one elevator and the player starts on that elevator. That's the only way to face the deck. Then, an AI has to come in for a landing and taxi to that open elevator spot next to the player. To make room for other planes, that should activate the elevator for the AI to taxi to the hangar. This way the player can taxi also.

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. But then how does in the video at the minute 13.51 To activate the elevator? http://Https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bee5DTiEosA

Thanks

Nemo me impune Laecessit

8 Hours now!!

If ED can't get their days right I am so boycotting this sim!!!!!! :megalol:

#NETRAGE!!!

Excuse my ignorance but what does the F5 key do?

It transmits a low voltage zap of electricity directly to the person at ED responsible for uploading SC to the servers. If we all keep hitting F5 it might get us SC a few hours earlier :smartass:

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y