Walleye? Not easy at all for me

Wali763

I know, that Walleye is pretty old and has quite a few limitations.

But watching Wags video for the Walleye it seems just so easy. He from far away gets a lock on a small unit. I have even trouble getting a lock on bigger buildings. Neven was able to get a lock on a mechnical unit.

Its very hard for me to acquire a lock on a target. Since its a TV-guided I look for contrasts to lock on. Often very hard.

I tried higher up (25000ft) or from medium hights (15000ft) and even quite low in straight flight or a shallow to steep dive. Up to now, Ive found nothing to increase my chances of a lock.

Using the aww-13 pod for me mostly dont work, since Im aquiring the lock (if so) so late, that I dont have the time to push the right buttons.....

Anyone got suggestions, what I could do to improve my results??

Thx.

Thx for the help.

Ive been flying the misson "Dawn Raiders", where I had my problems. I now found out, after I designate the target-WP and the Walleye gets slaved to the target after uncaging, I have to wait long enough to get a lock. Using AWW-13 though seems not useful, since the transmitted image is not always looking the way, the bomb is gliding and because of that corrections are pretty hard to make...

About the use of the TGP to find a target and designate it, this hint was very useful.

Overall Im not too interested in the Walleye, since it really seems outdated and I very much prefer the Maverick/TGP-combo, still I wanted to be able to use it correctly, if a mission required for it. Now I think, I can do it.

So thx for the help.

after releasing a walleye, i find myself flying upside down :D

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

after releasing a walleye, i find myself flying upside down :D

Always double tap walleyes hahah

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

To be honest, I´m not sure if the whole stuff is buggy...

The walleye ist just another "WTF..."-stuff in DCS for me.

Watched a million youtube-videos how to deploy the thing... seems not to hard...

Litening pod to on

slew on target, designate

uncage the walleye, which moves onto the target

but...

it never every locks... not on buildings, vehicles, whatever, no matter how far/near/low/high/slow/fast I am...

Even when I set a tank onto a flat field, with plenty of contrast... no lock

So now some people say... its an old one, hard to use - okay, fine. But then I watch this youtube-videos where a guy (not Wags) acts in a careless and hectic way and the damn thing locks on every attempt... :wallbash: ...frustrating...

Best regards

Jörg

Ok, I got it now too.

But... must be a bright day and the target should be big as a skyscraper and placed onto a flat desert. Then I managed to get a lock... mostly.

Then I need to have a distance of not more than 5nm or so, or the thing falls short...

I really wonder what the real world missions looked like with this thing... bright day, visibility 100000+ miles, BIG target... or what?

In my test missions I always fly in dusk or dawn, propably not enough light for contrast lock, so it couldnt work.

The only advantage: IF it locks and IF it hits, the crater is BIG.

Best regards

Jörg