Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Recording with OBS?

Nealius

I know Jabbers did a video, and every single thread/tutorial I search for references that video--which I'm sure is great--but I don't have time to watch a 16-minute video on a metered mobile internet connection. I need a text guide.

So far, I've been flying DCS with my Odyssey+, tried OBS, but OBS is giving me a black screen on everything. I've tried setting a display for:

DCS - black screen

WMR - black screen

SteamVR -black screen

No matter what I do, OBS just gives me a black screen. How do I set this thing up to record VR?

Are you using game capture or window capture?

What about DCS with no VR? Can you record then?

I'm with Vive, so streamVR and I can record In two ways.

The "Jabbers way" where I do a window capture on DCS.exe

Or using OBS' openVR plugin (steamVR's hidden layer) to grab the right eye (because speed in the HUD is more important to me in vids then the altitude)

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/openvr-input-plugin.534/

Fun fact, I only mention it because I've noticed it now for the first time.

Plugin was written by Kegeyts..

I typically record non-VR with GeForce experience, but I didn't like the FOV when recording the WMR preview on the monitor. I recently found out that I needed openVR plugin for OBS to work with VR (which explains why I was so lost). I currently got it working.

Thanks for the info on the right-eye capture, I had that off and was wondering why my image was off.

Is there any way to reduce the jerkiness of head movement when recording VR? Even when my head is stationary in-game, OBS records jerky views.

I didn't notice anything like that.

However take into account that your head and eyes naturally move together to stabilize the image.

So just to be sure it's not a problem. Put the HMD on the desk and record a clip. See if it's still jumps around.

I'll try that. I'm also confused about the right eye vs. left eye setting. In the Tomcat at least, I can't get a centered view with either selection. My view is either to the left of center, or to the right of center. When I recorded my Spitfire flights I had everything perfectly centered.

Also, is there any way to record in OBS without having the image rendered live? At certain points in my recordings they get really choppy, and I think having three videos rendered simultaneously (VR render, DCS desktop render, OBS render) is using too much resources. I tried clicking the eye icon to hide the OBS preview, but it just recorded a black screen instead.

• 11 months later...

I'm also having issues getting OBS to record at the center screen using the OBS VR Plugin. With right or left eye it is off to the side of whatever eye is being captured.

Anyone have any luck getting a good centered view?