Supported Controllers

Otrman

I have heard about DCS and am about to download it but have a questions about controller. I am totally new to flight simulation having about 5 months experience with X-plane 11 and have learned to take off, land, and fly sightseeing missions using a flight plan on autopilot with ILS landings. I have flown the Cessna 172 and Cirrus jet.

I am 82, USMC vet, retired, and an amateur WWII historian and have been told that DCS is very good.

Will you please tell me which controllers (joysticks, throttles, pedals, and/or yokes are natively supported by DCS so I can get started with the P51.

Otrman

Maingear Water Cooled w/Intel 9, 8 Cores, 5.00 Auto Turbo, 32 GB Memory, 2 1TB SSD Drives, NVIDIA 2080ti, 3 4K G-Sync Acer 32" Monitors and 1 27" Monitor, Honeycomb Alpha w/X52 Throttle

Welcome, Veteran!

All controllers recognizable in Windows as pointing devices are supported. With the right software/drivers even custom built ones are supported. Don't worry about that or just say what you have now to make sure you're covered.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Hello and welcome to DCS, One thing I can tell you that might help is that DCS recognized my old Microsoft Force Feedback 2 stick with no probs what so ever. I'm still waiting for my Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS to be delivered and been using this old stick for the time being. Welcome again and thanks for your service.

Take care.

Edited by Burt
spell

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

welcome otrman :thumbup:

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

Semper Fi Marine and welcome! Retired EA-6B guy here and very new to DCS. I’ve flown X-Plane and P3D for years and I can assure you, you’re in for a challenge, but an amazing one for sure. I don’t think I could go back to the mundane life of flying an A320 or ERJ-145!

As far as I’ve seen, DCS will take any controller you throw at it, mapping it is a whole lesson in itself, but there are some great videos and guides out there to help and of course this forum.

Hi Otrman,

Take a look at this video I made setting DCS up using a single stick to see what's involved and perhaps help get you up to speed quicker.

The more controllers will add more vertical columns. Pedals, throttles etc.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Getting started

I have been flying for about 5 months on x-plane 11, Cessna 172 and Cirrus Jet. I have both a Saitek x52 and Honeycomb Alpha. My plan is to use the supplied P51 and just want to start by mastering take off. The first thing I wanted to do is map some basic controls to buttons on the X52.

I want to map a button to view the plane sitting on the runway before taking off so I can verify the operation of the pitch, roll, and yaw but cannot find a view command that works. I also cannot find a command assign listed for the brakes or landing gear. I have looked in "All" which I am assuming lists every possible command available to DCS.

I have 6 buttons to use on the X52 Joystick, 9-14. I want to assign them as follows:

9 - a view I can use to view the plane, instead of the cockpit, either on the runway or in the air when I find the correct command.

10 - return to cockpit view

11 - pause

12 - brakes - when I find an available command

13/14 - gear up/down - unless there is a toggle - if so will assign 13 and save 14 for future use.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Otrman (Henry)

Maingear Water Cooled w/Intel 9, 8 Cores, 5.00 Auto Turbo, 32 GB Memory, 2 1TB SSD Drives, NVIDIA 2080ti, 3 4K G-Sync Acer 32" Monitors and 1 27" Monitor, Honeycomb Alpha w/X52 Throttle

Make sure which one you configure depending on difficulty - TF-51D Easy/Real.

When in the "All" controls view press F2 key - it will take you to the outside view binding. In the X52 joy column double click the empty space on the same row and push button9, click OK.

Same with key F1 - cockpit view - button10.

Pause would be in the "UI Layer" category outside of aircraft controls - "as Escape".

For gear and brakes use Search function and just type gear or brake there. It will find all matching bindings.

G - default for gear toggle. W - default for wheel brakes.

Tip: you want to have control of separate left/right brakes for proper taxi turns.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Still not working

Thanks for your reply but I still cannot get going.

1. I made all the button assignments using the buttons on the X52 joystick.

2. checked that axis work

3 chose P51 easy

4. selected solo takeoff

5. got a cockpit view, tried aircraft view button - no response

6. engine already running and it began to taxi

7. tried the brake button - no response

8. had to hit b on keyboard to make it stop

9. The throttle on the X52 could be used to change power

10. It that the buttons on the X52 joystick are not be recognized

What am I missing

Otrman

Thanks for your reply but I still cannot get going.

1. I made all the button assignments using the buttons on the X52 joystick.

2. checked that axis work

3 chose P51 easy

4. selected solo takeoff

5. got a cockpit view, tried aircraft view button - no response

6. engine already running and it began to taxi

7. tried the brake button - no response

8. had to hit b on keyboard to make it stop

9. The throttle on the X52 could be used to change power

10. It that the buttons on the X52 joystick are not be recognized

What am I missing

Otrman

I believe that to use the easy settings, you need to make sure that "Game Flight Mode" is turned on in Settings, under the Gameplay tab.

Otrman, I was under impression that you use free TF-51D, but of course you have to make assignments for the one you use if it is P-51.

I believe that to use the easy settings, you need to make sure that "Game Flight Mode" is turned on in Settings, under the Gameplay tab.

That's right. DCS uses separate control assignment tables for full simulation flight mode and for simplified flight mode (same applies to avionics and systems), which are set by ticking relevant boxes in Gameplay options tab.

I would suggest not spending much time, if any, in simplified "game flight mode", as it's poorly supported DCS feature, quite buggy and for that reason instead of making life easier for newcomers I believe it might make things actually worse.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Making Progress

I have two controller systems on my system. A Honeycomb Alpha/X52 Throttle for x-plane 11 and the X52 Stick and X52 throttle for DCS.

I have only chase, cockpit, pause, brake (will explain), gear toggle, flaps down buttons working. When I start solo takeoff the P51 is sitting on the runway and does not begin taxi until I engage the throttle. The brake button on the X52 does not stop the taxi. That's OK for now because I am still just taking off and flying around to develop skill in handling.

I did manage to get off the ground but the stick is way to sensitive. I saw the axis tune control and did understand how to give the stick a slight dead spot. I don't understand how to add force feedback to the parts of the curve above and below the dead spot. Can you give me a heads up on that.

Please be patient with me as this is my first time trying to fly the P51 which is why I chose "easy" to start.

Thanks

Otrman (Henry)

I did manage to get off the ground but the stick is way to sensitive. I saw the axis tune control and did understand how to give the stick a slight dead spot. I don't understand how to add force feedback to the parts of the curve above and below the dead spot.

Don't turn on force feedback unless you have device which supports it.

Move the slider for curvature in axis tune menu to the right (positive) for less sensitivity in the middle and more on the extreme ends of stick movement.

Check again the binding for the brakes. Push it when you are in the controls menu (all) and see if it highlights the correct binding.

Still Cannnot Fly the P51 Easy

I still cannot get the P51 more than a few feet above the runway. When I reach 100 mph I gently pitch up and the plane rolls left and crashes. I have both the Alpha Yoke and X52 give the same symptom. I need to use the Alpha as I have a weakness in my right shoulder that does not permit me to operate the stick properly. I need both hands on the controls as with the yoke. I am running training solo takeoff as I have a rendition of the P51 and a Corsair running on x-plane 11. I can take off with both - not easily but can get it done. Once in the air I have good control of both aircraft

I have experimented with various curves for the x and y axis but get the same result every time.

I also did the landing in the training section, not landing, but just trying to fly around to see if I can control it in the air. Something is amiss as I require extreme use of the controls to fly anything even resembling a straight and level course.

I have ensured, I think, that all the control settings are linked to the P51.

On the topic of the brake switch, which I will surely need later, it doesn't the plane. The button is in controls is recognized. It just doesn't stop the aircraft. I also note another problem that will come up when I start taxi operations. This requires using the left and right brake independently. On x-plane, I can use the rudder toe brakes and I don't see any option for that in DCS.

I know that the P51 is difficult to fly but I am serious about learning to fly this plane so I can get into the combat simulation that is part of DCS

Hope you folks can help.

From the little I know about warbirds the high powered propeller is transfering rotation force to the roll axis so you must control every one of 3 axis with hand and feet. In the air you constantly trim every axis to use less force on the stick or rudders.

You can use rudders to turn during taxi but without differential braking you won't make sharp turns which are needed most often than not.

For the brake binding problem you have to make a screenshot of your controls assignments.

If you have further questions please ask the experts in this part of the forum:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=164

I still cannot get the P51 more than a few feet above the runway. When I reach 100 mph I gently pitch up and the plane rolls left and crashes. I have both the Alpha Yoke and X52 give the same symptom. I need to use the Alpha as I have a weakness in my right shoulder that does not permit me to operate the stick properly. I need both hands on the controls as with the yoke. I am running training solo takeoff as I have a rendition of the P51 and a Corsair running on x-plane 11. I can take off with both - not easily but can get it done. Once in the air I have good control of both aircraft

I have experimented with various curves for the x and y axis but get the same result every time.

I also did the landing in the training section, not landing, but just trying to fly around to see if I can control it in the air. Something is amiss as I require extreme use of the controls to fly anything even resembling a straight and level course.

I have ensured, I think, that all the control settings are linked to the P51.

On the topic of the brake switch, which I will surely need later, it doesn't the plane. The button is in controls is recognized. It just doesn't stop the aircraft. I also note another problem that will come up when I start taxi operations. This requires using the left and right brake independently. On x-plane, I can use the rudder toe brakes and I don't see any option for that in DCS.

I know that the P51 is difficult to fly but I am serious about learning to fly this plane so I can get into the combat simulation that is part of DCS

Hope you folks can help.

My advice is to not use game mode and learn to fly DCS like you fly real aircraft. DCS is as real as it gets for simulation. More so then those other sims in my opinion.

I posted this video for you on the 1st page, it walks you through setting up controls, wheel brakes. You will find the axis brakes under the "axis category" Also make sure the flaps are all the way up, they are down when cold starting and prop pitch full forward.

This video also shows how to taxi and use the rudder to steer or free caster and use left / right brakes.

You don't really pull up with this aircraft unless you want to die when taking off, when she is ready to fly she will. (110 mph ish) Most of the time you might even need a little forward stick to not let her pitch up and stall out. (Roll left and crash) This is a very powerful taildragger and simulated very accurately, many good men did die just taking off, when trying to learn to fly these types of aircraft.

This is how you learn to fly a taildragger, in real life.

I also recommend you read the ESSAY'S that a generous flight instructor wrote here on the forums about how to fly these aircraft, as many did struggle at the start. Top of the Spitfire thread. Essay 1, 2 and 3

See how to turn off force feedback and set DCS to simulation below.

Take your time with DCS, it's more of a learning curve than those other sim's. Many of the flight models are way more advanced, so can be more unfriendly than many are used to. That's why it's great and very rewarding experience once you start to get in the groove. We like that it's hard and as close to real life as you can get on a PC.:)

Chucks guides is also a great starting point. Tutorial Library

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Cannot Assign Brakes

I cannot assign "wheel brakes both" Keyboard "W" to either my Alpha Yoke or my X52 yoke. "W" does not work either. Bug?

I cannot attempt landings with P51 until I have brakes.

Otrman

I cannot assign "wheel brakes both" Keyboard "W" to either my Alpha Yoke or my X52 yoke. "W" does not work either. Bug?

Otrman

Assign your toe brakes under "axis assign".

That will help you!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

That is not entirely true. Brakes are used rather at the end of landing roll and still very gently or you risk hitting the ground with nose forward flip.

Check again your binding for the correct difficulty you use. Also check options > special > P-51D - maybe you have some easy setting there.

Edited by draconus

Can't Find Toe Brakes

I cannot find toe brakes when searching when searching controls. Toe brakes work just fine on my Logitech rudder pedals when using x-plane 11.

I cannot find toe brakes when searching when searching controls. Toe brakes work just fine on my Logitech rudder pedals when using x-plane 11.

Go to "axis command" category and look for "Wheel brake left/right". Then assign those to your rudder pedals respectively. Watch for the correct column - device.

Again, here is me setting up the TF-51 for an example.

This video also shows how to taxi and use the rudder to steer or free caster and use left / right brakes.

You can even switch to the "category" to search and type in "Wheel brakes" etc

See me do that also in the video above. 10:55

If you launch a free flight etc, it will be at the correct "Aircraft controls" under control options. If you do it from the menu, you need to select the aircraft to modify.

Edited by David OC