Kursant Campaign and L39 Units

InkWithGold

Planning on getting the L39 and the campaign this sale to help me get into DCS since the F18 was too much for me. I only flew civilian airliners in real life, and when it comes to bombing techniques and so on.. i know nothing.. that's where i think the L39 and its campaign come in (am I correct?)

However, I'm used to Feet, NM, and Knots as units

A review on steam was complaining that the instructions before the campaign were too much, which isn't a problem at all for me, however, he gave an example of such instructions:

"After takeoff, at an altitude of 15m and speed of not less than 200 km/h, retract the landing gear. At an altitude of 50-70m and speed of not less than 250 km/h, retract the flaps. When speed of 350 km/h has been reached, set the RPM to 100% and continue climbing with an acceleration to 350 km/h to 200m."

Now my question before purchase is... can the L39 itself be switched to feet and knots and nautical miles?

and if so... how does that switch work out with the campaign?

I truly LOVE the L39

but if this will be a problem, i may go the F5 or Mirage route

DCS World Open Beta:

F/A-18C | F16C | A-10C | AV-8B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | F-5E II | L-39 | F15C | SU-33 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Gazelle | KA-50 | Spitfire | 109 Kurfurst | Supercarrier | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Nevada TTR | and about $50 remaining in bank savings account

Planning on getting the L39 and the campaign this sale to help me get into DCS ...

However, I'm used to Feet, NM, and Knots as units

Now my question before purchase is... can the L39 itself be switched to feet and knots and nautical miles?

I truly LOVE the L39

but if this will be a problem, i may go the F5 or Mirage route

No, sorry, the L-39 is metric only ... and also its navigation systems are not western, so it cant do Tacan navigation ... may I suggest that you get the C-101 instead? It is in imperial units and has western avionics.

It's Multi-seat abilities are not yet fully developed, and in that aspect the L-39 is superior, but on everything else the C-101 is as good as the L-39.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

@Rudel_chw: You can switch L-39 to imperial. Does C-101 have campaing similar to Kursant?

https://i.imgur.com/81Amw34.jpg

Thanks, I learned something new :) ... and no, the C-101 has no Campaign :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

First instructrion in campaing is to switch to metric system.

@Rudel_chw: You can switch L-39 to imperial. Does C-101 have campaing similar to Kursant?

https://i.imgur.com/81Amw34.jpg

So it could be switched to imperial for the campaign too? that would be awesome!

DCS World Open Beta:

F/A-18C | F16C | A-10C | AV-8B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | F-5E II | L-39 | F15C | SU-33 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Gazelle | KA-50 | Spitfire | 109 Kurfurst | Supercarrier | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Nevada TTR | and about $50 remaining in bank savings account

Hi, Ink!

As others have already said, each mission of the Kursant campaign is explicitly telling you to switch to metric units. All numbers in every Kursant briefing and voiceover are given in metric.

I'm Russian, but since I'm mostly flying western jets and have an extensive FSX/P3D background, I'm more used to knots & feets. I thought that switching to metric would be a real pain, but it is really not. You don't need to convert anything, and you will quickly memorize all the required metric numbers - there are not that many of them.

The campaign itself is really challenging tho, so keep this in mind. You will almost definitely be required to practice on your own, especially the circle pattern (1st mission) and for the bombing runs.

Dropping bombs with the L-39 is a lot harder than with the F-5, and to achieve a decent hit ratio you must do it exactly by the book.

The Kursant won't make an ace out of you, but your overall flying skills and discipline will greatly improve, that's for sure.

Dima | My DCS uploads

Hi, Ink!

As others have already said, each mission of the Kursant campaign is explicitly telling you to switch to metric units. All numbers in every Kursant briefing and voiceover are given in metric.

I'm Russian, but since I'm mostly flying western jets and have an extensive FSX/P3D background, I'm more used to knots & feets. I thought that switching to metric would be a real pain, but it is really not. You don't need to convert anything, and you will quickly memorize all the required metric numbers - there are not that many of them.

The campaign itself is really challenging tho, so keep this in mind. You will almost definitely be required to practice on your own, especially the circle pattern (1st mission) and for the bombing runs.

Dropping bombs with the L-39 is a lot harder than with the F-5, and to achieve a decent hit ratio you must do it exactly by the book.

The Kursant won't make an ace out of you, but your overall flying skills and discipline will greatly improve, that's for sure.

For some reason i read the replies as the first mission in the campaign having imperial.... i really need to sleep

Thanks for your response :) Will give it a try as it's got a special place in my heart more than the F5 or anything

DCS World Open Beta:

No...you have to fly campaing in metric.

Yea sorry, i misread your original reply :)

DCS World Open Beta:

Don't hesitate to give the campaign a try indeed. After all, planes are being tought, learned and flown by the numbers, not by the units. As long as instruments are in the same units as manuals, handbooks, briefings and ATC commands, you just follow the numbers without thinking if these are kilometers per hour or knots or bumblebees per flower or whatever per whatnot.

It only becomes problem if you intend to switch to imperial units outside of campaign. That might cause a bit of a mindfeck indeed!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

For some reason i read the replies as the first mission in the campaign having imperial.... i really need to sleep

Thanks for your response :) Will give it a try as it's got a special place in my heart more than the F5 or anything

And should you desire to become a DCS flight instructor on the L-39 let me know! :) Love that plane to bits and i am trying to learn the Russian way wich is hard since there are limited sources compared to western wich are all over the web.

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria