IFF & SA-Page

DST

So it´s only me without any other friendlies or AWACS around, and I want to understand the basics of that whole SA-Page and it´s symbology.

My question is: How do I get any of MY radar contacts on my SA-Page? As far as I understood, I have to turn IFF on by pressing the pushbutton, move the TDC over a track on ATTK RDR and press "Sensor Control Depress" to get it on the SA page, did I get this right? But doing this nothing happens, "Sensor Control Depress" doesn´t seem to do anything at all. On my SA page there are only RWR-Contacts on the outer ring, but no symbols of unknown or bandits.

Really don´t understand what I´m missing here.

Edited by DST

I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 32GB RAM NVIDIA RTX 3080 Rift S

But I´m alone without AWACS or any other friendly aircraft, so datalink would be useless in this case I thought? I thought it could be possible to get my own radar contacts on the SA-Page for identifying.

Make sure you turn on D/L? IFF is just the interegator, D/L is what displays the SA page contacts.

exactly what you need to do. now on the SA page u can select what info you wish to see. i'd suggest to check out wags mini updates as his videos are pretty well detailed on each of these system features.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Ok, thanks, I think my mistake was that I thought "datalink" means always a link to other aircraft, but seems it means also link from own radar to SA-page? Also forgot to hold "On"-button...

Will give it a try...

Ok, thanks, I think my mistake was that I thought "datalink" means always a link to other aircraft, but seems it means also link from own radar to SA-page? Also forgot to hold "On"-button...

Will give it a try...

The SA page displays all tracked files, whether your own or from other donors. Now I missed the point you made about flying alone without any even AWACS, so true it will on show the track files from your radar.

I am by no means an expert F18 flyer but the sooner you get familiar with the SA page and just how powerful it is, the better fighter pilot you will be come. Besides the radar it is the most important sensor on your aircraft.

In fact you can potentially get kills without using radar and relying solely on the SA page!

3 things you should bind on your HOTAS to make things easier I find are:

-SCL selector to switch scale quickly

-STEP, to automatically select next priorities without fiddling with TDC and get all the info you need while keeping TDC on Radar page

-DCTR not always used, but can be used to get better SA (I'd even say this one is optional)

Also ensure sensors selected as needed (RWR ALL, RWR ID and UNK should be used for 99% of the time).

But I´m alone without AWACS or any other friendly aircraft, so datalink would be useless in this case I thought? I thought it could be possible to get my own radar contacts on the SA-Page for identifying.

The Hornet depends on AWACS. Without AWACS, you will only know what lies ahead 24 miles away by blocking and pressing "Sensor Control Depress"

If we do not have AWACS or other donor, everything that is farther than 24 miles will be unknown.

Edited by atazar

Turn D/L on. The SA page will display the contacts detected by your radar. If you have no donor support, they'll be classed as Unknown or Ambiguous (yellow HAFU) until you have both an NCTR print and a negative IFF response, upon which time they'll change to a Hostile HAFU, based on the current implementation of the ROE matrix in the Hornet. Friendly contacts require only a positive IFF response to turn to a Friendly HAFU.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Ok, thanks @ all, I got it. Really seemed I forgot to press On for a second after D/L button :) Now radar contacts appear on SA-page like on all those YouTube videos I watched :)

What I noticed, it´s still quite difficult sometimes to get radar contacts at all in the hornet (I mentioned that in another thread, seems sometimes it helps to switch off LTWS, strangely), it really needs a lot of fiddling around with range, bars and elevation antenna sometimes. In the F16 it´s a lot easier at the moment, but that´s because of the early EA-status maybe?