Balancing the F-14

ENERG1A

So in the end... MiG-25/31 (although I would not get my hopes up for the latter because the Russians are very secretive about their operational stuff... :() please! :D

If we are going to get one, I am wondering how will the automatic target acquisition mode (with the help of ground radar and data-link) work in DCS?

My assumptions:

1) It will work through the "Mission Editor", in which case the target and radar(s) would have to be preset in there. Don't see this working in PVP MP though...

2) You would have to ask for it in the comm menu, I would see this as the more practical solution.

3) There will be some system where a "forward observer" (GCI) assigns targets to players. This system would only work in MP, and require a change to another module... So most likely, no.

4) They will come up with some other magic... Or just make us use our WSO/RIO's (at least in MP) instead. ;)

But in the end, where ma' MiG's! :D

Edited by asla36
I am too hyped for someone to make a MiG-23... :D

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in the end... MiG-25/31 (although I would not get my hopes up for the latter because the Russians are very secretive about their operational stuff... :() please! :D

If we are going to get one, I am wondering how will the automatic target acquisition mode (with the help of ground radar and data-link) work in DCS?

My assumptions:

1) It will work through the "Mission Editor", in which case the target and radar(s) would have to be preset in there. Don't see this working in PVP MP though...

2) You would have to ask for it in the comm menu, I would see this as the more practical solution.

3) There will be some system where a "forward observer" (GCI) assigns targets to players. This system would only work in MP, and require a change to another module... So most likely, no.

4) They will come up with some other magic... Or just make us use our WSO/RIO's (at least in MP) instead. ;)

But in the end, where ma' MiG's! :D

Flying at mach 2.0 at 45000 feet might sound cool but will get old soon.

The mig-31 or mig-25 is in a pretty disadvatageous position in most altitudes and speeds that regular fighters fly except for fast and high. And even then you can go through caucasus in mere minutes and down again for fuel.

The WSO intercept procedure was heavily automated and visibility was very constricted (although he also had a full set of controls) so i don't know who would be interested in taking the seat.

Its funny that even before the f-14 came out people have been asking for even more modules... Gets kind of repetitive because this isn't driven by the desire to fly another great plane reproduced in amazing detail but to keep things balanced in mp so everyone can keep their preffered side happy.

If someone came out with a fc3 level mig31 and mig25 people would buy them like hotcakes, an r-77 equiped su-27 even better. Then the bitching would stop.

Funny how people are threatened by a 1980's missile and radar yet they have absolutely no problem playing everyday in servers with early 2000's aim120c's.

Flying at mach 2.0 at 45000 feet might sound cool but will get old soon.

The mig-31 or mig-25 is in a pretty disadvatageous position in most altitudes and speeds that regular fighters fly except for fast and high. And even then you can go through caucasus in mere minutes and down again for fuel.

The WSO intercept procedure was heavily automated and visibility was very constricted (although he also had a full set of controls) so i don't know who would be interested in taking the seat.

Its funny that even before the f-14 came out people have been asking for even more modules... Gets kind of repetitive because this isn't driven by the desire to fly another great plane reproduced in amazing detail but to keep things balanced in mp so everyone can keep their preffered side happy.

If someone came out with a fc3 level mig31 and mig25 people would buy them like hotcakes, an r-77 equiped su-27 even better. Then the bitching would stop.

Funny how people are threatened by a 1980's missile and radar yet they have absolutely no problem playing everyday in servers with early 2000's aim120c's.

Yup, in the end it is about asking for more! :D

My most wanted module it the MiG-23ML. That would be just so great!

I would (at least as myself as an example) disagree with you on the last part. While yes they most certainly would be bought like hotcakes. I don't think I would fly them that way. After all I fly the MiG-21bis against modern fighters because it's the newest (full fidelity) fighter we have on the Russian side... ;)

In the end... MOAR! >:]

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

It's like that for every game I've ever flown, the more syndrome. New, fresh, dream list, etc....always. I'm guilty of it too, how can someone not be really. Everyone has their fav plane, everyone has a side they like, and everyone who isn't a dev has no clue of the actual amount of work that goes into each module that performs like the real thing - I mean, yes I know it takes thousands of hours, but I'm no dev so do I really understand? Nope.....

That said I'm hoping for a Phantom and a Blackhawk. If they never come out I'd be bummed, but I'd find stuff to fly, much like I have now, and I am very happy with the modules I have purchased, well, almost......there is one that I regret, but that's another thread :-)

As for balancing Tom's Cat? MiG-23 would be correct, but I think a better match overall considering what we have would be full fidelity MiG-29, SU-27, and pump out a nice F-15 so that it's paired on both sides. that's just my thinking!!

~S

It's like that for every game I've ever flown, the more syndrome. New, fresh, dream list, etc....always. I'm guilty of it too, how can someone not be really. Everyone has their fav plane, everyone has a side they like, and everyone who isn't a dev has no clue of the actual amount of work that goes into each module that performs like the real thing - I mean, yes I know it takes thousands of hours, but I'm no dev so do I really understand? Nope.....

That said I'm hoping for a Phantom and a Blackhawk. If they never come out I'd be bummed, but I'd find stuff to fly, much like I have now, and I am very happy with the modules I have purchased, well, almost......there is one that I regret, but that's another thread :-)

As for balancing Tom's Cat? MiG-23 would be correct, but I think a better match overall considering what we have would be full fidelity MiG-29, SU-27, and pump out a nice F-15 so that it's paired on both sides. that's just my thinking!!

~S

Yup, I also think the MIG-23 would fit into DCS better than the MiG-25/31. Just for the fact that it can do BFM. :)

And oh the new stuff... GIMME! GIMME! GIMME! :D

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
Surely, adding more long range SAM sites is the easiest way to balance the F-14.

If it were a full on SAM module then yes, but just adding long range SAM sites will be a boring solution. A module would be far more interesting, and I think the player base would prefer getting a full on module. Not some boring AI unit that you can't even control in most MP servers.

So AI units are great, but they can't beat a real full-fidelity module. So my most wanted modules to have developed would be...

1) MiG-23

2) F-4

3) AH-1 (would remove from list if I was certain that it is being developed)/64

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Seems like a G model Cobra would be a great match for the H model Huey, especially since we have the MI-8 and BST is now doing the MI-24. I hope they do it, since they seem to be quite adept at making quality low tech models, i.e, the above mentioned and the F-5.

Seems like a G model Cobra would be a great match for the H model Huey, especially since we have the MI-8 and BST is now doing the MI-24. I hope they do it, since they seem to be quite adept at making quality low tech models, i.e, the above mentioned and the F-5.

Indeed, and it would also be a great counterpart to the Mil-24! Though if we were specifically looking for a Mil-24 counterpart, an AH-1Q "HueyCobra" would be a better option for the TOWs. But if we want it for Vietnam, the G model would be great!

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

every time this thread lays back down in the grave it gets resurrected in the most ridiculous manner lmao

Surely, adding more long range SAM sites is the easiest way to balance the F-14.

no? the easiest and only true balance is a mirror match

Well, actually the reason we talk about "balancing" is that we just want an excuse to ask for another awesome bird to fly!

Because as far as I know, this thread has become a wishlist one, and I'm guilty too... But who wouldn't use this excuse to ask for their favorite bird to fly? Especially when we can say that it is not about our wishes, but "balance". ;)

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

The F-14 has no chance against a Mig-31...."Russians buid the best planes".;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.