Printable map of current Caucasus map?

Stratos

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SRTM3 cannot stand the comparison with ASTER, when SRTM1 can (even if it's crippled with void areas in our region of interest).

There's a way to produce MBtiles, yes, since it is now the format Viper39 is using to load the maps. But I have no idea how to do that: Viper does the job.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Nicely done !

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

P.S: we are commonly using bridges for our waypoints in the chopper world!

I've just found a way to automatically get the azimuth of a bridge from my own vector data (not from the game). This means the map will feature ALL the bridges in no time. :smilewink:

Uh... OK. :renske:

<-- Avatar changed accordingly, then.

Here's the recipe for the bridges azimuths for those interested:

1. I "find" bridges by calculating intersections between roads and rivers, for instance. This gives me the location of the bridges, with no azimuth.

2. I "explode" each roads and railways to basic A to B segments. I then calculate the azimuth of each segment.

3. I "join" the segments with the bridges that intersect with them, and pass the azimuth of the road segments to the bridges. And voilà. :thumbup:

981c1b21c0dcba4b89cdc6a9280ec765.png

Edited by Flappie

Again, nicely done ; not only are you brave enough to begin such an endeavour, you're truly the best :)

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Thank you. :)

For now, the map is only available through CombatFlite. I plan to release the final map as a very large picture. I'm currently working on the bridges. The map is almost complete.

For now, the map is only available through CombatFlite. I plan to release the final map as a very large picture. I'm currently working on the bridges. The map is almost complete.

I hope you could make a browser based one. It helps when on iPad.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Amazing, looking forward to that one, have no doubt. Keep up the good work!

Main: MiG-21bis, because pocket rockets are fun

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

We're getting close now.The bridges are here. The tunnels are here as well, though I might have missed some of them. I've repositioned hundreds of town names and a few beacon labels so they don't mask newly added bridges and tunnels.

Now, as you can see in the picture below (click to enlarge), ASTER DEM is plagued with weird scratches on the most northern part of the Caucasus theatre (Mozdok - Mineralnye Vody - Krasnodar - Kerch). The most elegant solution I came up with is to draw a white mask to hide those scratches. It shouldn't take long.

wrong-DEM-data.png

Work in progress

Tweaking SRTM1 relief to hide wrong data : 0%

What's done

SRTM3 elevation : 100% (as a raster - slightly different from the game's map)

SRTM3 relief shadows : 100% (as a raster - slightly different from the game's map)

SRTM3 isolines : 100% (slightly different from the game's map)

Town names : 100 %

Power lines : 100 %

Sea, lakes and large rivers : 100 %

Vegetation : 100 %

Urban areas : 100 %

Elaborated geo grid : 100%

Roads : 100%

Railroads : 100%

Rivers : 100%

Elaborated MGRS grid : 100%

International and contested borders : 100%

Airbases : 100%

Beacons : 100%

SRTM1 relief shadows : 100%

Bridges : 100%

Tunnels: 100% ?

It's really impressive !

This is a professional-level map, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people will want to give you money (I will, for certain). You'd better set-up a donation Paypal ^^

AMAZING work , incredible effort to realize this!

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

It's really impressive !

This is a professional-level map, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people will want to give you money (I will, for certain). You'd better set-up a donation Paypal ^^

Thanks for the offer. Seeing as we will soon have to buy our virtual aircraft part-by-part (I'm looking at you, Black$hark 3), I suggest you keep that wallet inside your pocket. :smilewink:

The ASTER DEM masking process is over. I'm now tweaking two or three things, then we'll be set for v1.0!

• 2 weeks later...

Hola señores. I've sent a v0.7 to Viper39. He's quite busy right now, but once the new map will be part of CombatFlite, I'll need you to report any "bugs". I've already bumped into the following bugs:

1. unnecessary bridges (whenever two different types of segment intersect, where they shouldn't)

2. more "holes" in the ASTER DEM relief

3. bridge hidden by a label

4. missing tunnels

5. haven't seen that happen yet, but... missing bridges?

v0-7.png

• 2 weeks later...